Where to get habitat materials?

T

troutcrk

I am building a pedestal mount for a mule deer...where can I find habitat materials?

Thanks

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

How about in the woods where they grow naturally? If you're stuck in the city, you might try some of the Taxi supply co.s like Mckenzie, Research Mannikins, Jonas, Van Dykes, Trufitt, etc.

They all have a few different things, but the best stuff is in the hills.

If I use natural materials, what do should I use to preserve them?

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

For leaves and plant material you can use a product that you can buy in any of the taxidermy catalogs. I can't recall the name for some reason right now, but it comes in several different colors. (I think it's called "never say dye" Green, yellow, clear, and a few more. You set the plant in it and let it draw the preservative up into the stem and throughout the leaves. Works pretty well.

I like to use dry stuff so I don't have to preserve anything. Just be careful to bug spray anything that looks "buggy" so you don't send critters into someone's house.

Dry grass, dry weathered wood, rocks, and stuff like that can be used without any preservation.

I like moss too. It can be purchased from several supply companies. It's green and brown and can be attached to almost any type habitat.

DBD

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom