Where To Use Points

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Here's the deal- I've got 3 or 4 points for mule deer in AZ and I really don't like buying a license every year just to get a point. I realize I won't be drawn for the Kaibab until I'm 50 and I'm not willing to continue to play the game. My question is with 4 points, is there an area in AZ that I can successfully draw if I put in that has some deer in it? I want to use my points this year. Any suggestions?

Steve

Wiszard,

As mentioned, many units south of the river have good drawing odds.You can view the drawing odds and success rates for each unit in the Hunt AZ booklet (use below link).

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/h_f/hunting/Hunt_AZ_2007_Book-WEB.pdf

You might also consider hunting a Coues deer. Although the Dec. hunt is a tough draw, permits for the early seasons are almost sure things. So you can usually list a late hunt as 1st choice and early one as second. -TONY

That was the response I was hoping to get. I want to hunt rather than wait for years to be able to hunt a particular state. I'm not a trophy hunter so I don't need to shoot monsters. I appreciate the info!

Steve

>That was the response I was
>hoping to get. I want
>to hunt rather than wait
>for years to be able
>to hunt a particular state.
>I'm not a trophy hunter
>so I don't need to
>shoot monsters. I appreciate the
>info!
>
>Steve

Look into a Coues deer hunt. Try the late hunt. You should draw either this year or next. They are really fun to hunt.

Are coues deer just as abundant as mule deer? I understand it just depends on what area you hunt but...I've always heard they were far more elusive than mule deer. Am I right?

Steve

Steve,
In arizona the coues deer are supposedly doing better than mule deer. They are holding their own. And when people say they are more "elusive" than mule deer, I think they mean that they are sneakier and more wary, not necessarily elusive because of low numbers, especially some of the southern units, where there are lots of coues deer.
Ive hunted them in central arizona and watching them in binoculars, they are a nervous wreck.
Hope this helps.

With 4 points I would try for a December Coues tag. For second choice unit 10 mule deer. Seen two real good bucks up there a couple of years back.

I drew a late season Kaibab 12A West tag this past season with only 4 points. Anything can happen even north of the ditch!

Caveat! You're only gonna draw a late season Kaibab IF you're a resident! No way a resident will draw that that with less than max points!

Another option for a mule deer is Unit 16A (Hualapai Mtns). Some big bucks (up to 30") taken each year here, but mostly smaller bucks are what is seen.

Unit 16A has lots of country to hunt without private property issues, unlike the Boquillas in Unit 10 that doesn't allow any ATV's or horses on the ranch for any purpose.

Yep, Unit 10 has some huge bucks no doubt, but success rate is just a tad better in Unit 16A than it is in Unit 10, plus NO DRAMA!

For those Coues deer fanatics. Does a Noresident with 4 points have a chance to draw a good tag? I don't know much about Couses or the southern part of the state that they inhabit. I drew 12B late in 2005 and don't really want to wait 15 more years to hunt a good muley hunt. Any advice would ge greatly appreciated.

Even a NR can draw coues hunts with 4 pts. The Dec hunts might still be a bit of a stretch, but the Nov hunts should be very doable. Put a Dec hunt as your first choice and a Nov hunt as a second. You should draw one of them and get to hunt this year. Coues might be considered more elusive than muleys because they more stealthy and harder to get close to. On a numbers basis, though, you'll probably see plenty. Glass and glass and you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a buck. Coues have been doing very well in So AZ the last few years.

http://www.wildernessathlete.org/ because the most important piece of equipment you own is YOU!

Coues deer are the deer of AZ, if you want to hunt muleys there are several better places to look, CO, NV, UT just to name a few. Yes I know there are some monster muleys killed every year in AZ but the odds are really against you compared to some other states

As far as a non resident applying for December coues hunts you do have a good chance with 4 bp's if you put in for less desireable units so stay away from 32, 33, 36b and 36c. There are monster bucks in all the units just need to be patient and pray for an early rut.

As for mule deer I was on several bucks this january that were over 170, one of which we were scoring in the 210 to 215 range as a 7x9. Check out the 34's and 36's for an opprotunity at some big muleys with good draw odds.

we had two clients this year draw kaibab with 0 points luck of the draw thats it

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom