WHERE WERE YOU WHEN THE WORLD STOPPED TURNING ON THAT SEPTEMBER DAY???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Left For Work Before The NEWS Broke out as what was Happening!

Wife Calls Me & Says the NEWS Was Showing a Jet that just hit one of the twin Towers!

I Kick the Radio On in the Truck As We are Working & Listen for Updates!

A Couple Hours Later it Turns in to the Quietest Day I've Ever Heard!

No Planes Flying!

No Copters Buzzing around!

No Birds Chirping!

How Quick Some Forget!

I Haven't Forgot!

I was about 15 feet deep In a trench box installing a 30 inch water main. We had a trans con fiber line running with the trench . AT and T shut us down working next to that fiber so we went up the job trailer and listened to the radio in absolute disbelief.

I was up on Deseret land and livestock working when I first heard it all on the radio and was just shocked that something like that was happening. .sad day for sure

In the Wilderness on an elk hunt. Didn’t find out until the 14th when I was in line ordering a sub sandwich.

Sitting in a meeting room about 25 miles outside of DC. The first one hit while we were on break. We stayed glued to the TV until shortly after the towers fell. The base went on lockdown within a few minutes from the time the second plane hit.

The meeting continued on course, with part of the meeting involving how to get a couple hundred Navy guys home. Commercial air was out, so we were looking at rental cars....buses...trains.

As soon as military air travel became viable, we hitched a ride. My group and I rode all the way back to the west coast in a KC-130 loaded with ATF fuel.

Sitting in a traffic jam trying to get to work. Drove straight to a gun store and bought ammo. Went back home and waited.

We were on a muzzle load elk hunt. A buddy hiked out in a different direction to get his truck to pick us up. He turned on the radio and heard the news and told us about it. We were glued to the radio for the rest of the day. I drove into town the next morning to see the television reports and buy newspapers.
I remember all the feelings: bewilderment, sadness, and rage. I’ll never forget that terrible day.

Was in UT Bowhunting deer......brought a deer into a local processor and heard what had happened a few days earlier. Can’t really describe the feeling I had.

I was in Forence, Oregon on a fishing vacation. Saw the news on T.V. in our RV and turned to my fishing partner and told him, "We will be going to war in the middle East.
RELH

Driving to work. I was listening to the radio and knew planes were crashing into things. I knew something was bad wrong almost immediately because we had 2 planes in the air and they were grounded at the nearest airport no questions asked or explanations offered.

I had been to the twin towers a couple of times, and pretty much ever since I have had some kind of connection with the WTC through the construction there.

At work when I got the call. The second call was when the next plane hit. Hauled ass home to get a tv for the office instead of trying the on line thing at that time.
Like everyone else I was in planning mode for ammo fuel storage and necessities.

I think Gunnihunter said the exact same feelings that I had. I was a young man in those days and did not understand why someone would do something so sinister. Wouldn’t it be something to go back and have that same innocence again.

I Guess the Thing that Bothers Me the Most is they had a couple of Box Cutters & Most were Scared!

I Guarantee there were Some Country Boys on the one Plane that hit the Ground!

You Know it Had a Target & Some Good Ole Boys Riding on that Plane Died to Save a bunch of other Lives wherever it was headed!

what a day that was......it is ironic to me that the only plane that didn't make it to it's target was the only one that wouldn't have claimed innocent lives......other than the people on the plane....

Last edited:
I Guess the Thing that Bothers Me the Most is they had a couple of Box Cutters & Most were Scared!

I Guarantee there were Some Country Boys on the one Plane that hit the Ground!

You Know it Had a Target & Some Good Ole Boys Riding on that Plane Died to Save a bunch of other Lives wherever it was headed!
I have to think that at that point, most people weren’t aware that there was such hatred for us. In my heart I think that whether there were country boys or not, if they knew their fate, they would have fought back.

I was on the road to a ranch. Grabbed my 45 and spare clip and laid them on the passenger seat. Figured if I saw troops parachuting, I'd get a few before they got me. Watched replays on the news this morning and its still a gut punch

I was 1300 feet underground in a mine. We came up for lunch and the hoistman told us about it. I’ve never felt Such sick rage And the need to kick some a$$. If I wasn’t as old as I was I’d a headed to a recruiter to sign up. It’s a damn good thing I wasn’t President because a whole bunch of places would still glow in the dark. Cowardly, soulless, evil bad words!!! I’ll never forget that day. My cousin was in a plane and was grounded somewhere in Nova Scotia until the flight ban was lifted. Had good friends stuck in Canada hunting and couldn’t get home for a while. My dad remembered feeling the same way about Pearl Harbor.

Remember it all to well. Driving up the 405 Freeway in LA at 6:00 in the morning, on my way to a lumberyard to pickup materials.
I heard on the radio that a "Small Plane" crashed into one of the towers. When I got to the lumberyard, I told a couple of guys about it. We went into the employee lounge to turn on the TV. We were watching for about 5 minutes, when the second plane slammed into the second tower. About 10 of us were watching, when everyone yelled "Oh $hit", then ran out of the room it total disbelief....and rage.
Found out a few days later that someone in our neighborhood was on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania. Their is a special bench and plaque honoring him at the local park.

I was at work and heard it on the radio, but I really didn't know what twin towers meant. Radio towers? When I found out I had to draw a picture of a plane flying into a building for my non English speaking co-worker.

19 years later we're still in Afghanistan, and the America haters are in Portland, OR now.

....and don't think if they were even close to as smart as a carpet pilot that they wouldn't do the same thing....

Building a Mini Storage in Simi Valley, Watched the TV in the super shack for couple of hours.

Left For Work Before The NEWS Broke out as what was Happening!

Wife Calls Me & Says the NEWS Was Showing a Jet that just hit one of the twin Towers!

I Kick the Radio On in the Truck As We are Working & Listen for Updates!

A Couple Hours Later it Turns in to the Quietest Day I've Ever Heard!

No Planes Flying!

No Copters Buzzing around!

No Birds Chirping!

How Quick Some Forget!

I Haven't Forgot!

Up on a mountain carrying my recurve.

I was raking hay. And was much to young and dumb to realize what had happened. Just knew it was something in New York, which seemed as far away as the moon then....

I was taping a vault in a house . The cul-de-sac we were in went silent, for quite awhile. No brick saws, framing guns, nothing.

I was a Fire Captain in our Emergency Command Center and was awaken by a fellow worker. He stated that we were being attacked. I was still in a haze and asked what the F--- are you talking about. Soon after we grounded all of our aircraft statewide. We had several large Wildland fires burning. I will never forget that day.

Last edited:
Was headed to the jobsite listening to it on the radio. Went to the local bar/Cafe with a big screen instead. Watched the footage there for 4 or 5 hours before going home to watch it the rest of the day. I remember telling a plumber I was sitting with those steel beams would weaken enough from the heat to collapse a floor and the weight of the building above the fire would be too much to stand. Last year I went to Redrocks with a local fire captain to climb the amphitheaters stairs the equivalent of the flights those firefighters climbed that day. Before we were allowed in, at the time the first plane hit, they started playing radio broadcasts from New York from that morning. Took you right back to that morning, and set the tone for the day. Pretty moving experience.

20190911_080959.jpg

20190911_101635.jpg
20190911_070331.jpg

20190911_072615.jpg

118579568_10159189164559769_3331732209833196017_n.jpg

I and my family were living in Alaska. I never listen to the radio in the morning but for some strange reason tuned it on while cleaning up for work, and heard the chaos.
Drove to school and drug the tv into the classroom and we all watched real time. I knew those 13,14 yrs old needed to see that and they still talk about that to this day.

Many of my friends were stuck all over Alaska in fly-in sheep, moose, bear etc, camps with no idea why they weren't being picked up.

Hey DW!

Me & My Dad & Many Others Argued about the Buildings Collapsing!

I Told Them all the Same Thing!

The Planes basically Sliced the Buildings in half!

The Heat Was Beyond Comprehension!

And Once a Top Third of the Building fell it was more than the lower 2 Thirds could support!

And To Think Them BASTARDS Were Trained to Fly them Planes right here in the USA!

JFP!

Was headed to the jobsite listening to it on the radio. Went to the local bar/Cafe with a big screen instead. Watched the footage there for 4 or 5 hours before going home to watch it the rest of the day. I remember telling a plumber I was sitting with those steel beams would weaken enough from the heat to collapse a floor and the weight of the building above the fire would be too much to stand. Last year I went to Redrocks with a local fire captain to climb the amphitheaters stairs the equivalent of the flights those firefighters climbed that day. Before we were allowed in, at the time the first plane hit, they started playing radio broadcasts from New York from that morning. Took you right back to that morning, and set the tone for the day. Pretty moving experience.

View attachment 12829
View attachment 12830View attachment 12831
View attachment 12832
View attachment 12833

DW thats pretty sweet that you did that climbing those stairs. The gentleman Scott Davidson whose name you had is the comedian Pete Davidson's dad.

I had a gentleman from out church in Illinois who had moved to New York in 1999. He worked on one of the floors the first plane hit. He slept in and played video games with is son before going to work. As he got off the train at the trade centers the first plane hit and he was able to make it out of there safely. Unfortunately it was something he struggled with for years after knowing that he would have died as well as all the people he worked with had.

Walked into my High school biology Class just in time to see the second plane hit! Never forget walking into that doorway, turning and looking at the TV, and BAM! As a young man, In one split second I realized what it meant, and made my decision to join the Corps! Sad day!

Hey DW!

Me & My Dad & Many Others Argued about the Buildings Collapsing!

I Told Them all the Same Thing!

The Planes basically Sliced the Buildings in half!

The Heat Was Beyond Comprehension!

And Once a Top Third of the Building fell it was more than the lower 2 Thirds could support!

And To Think Them BASTARDS Were Trained to Fly them Planes right here in the USA!

JFP!
Bessie,

I have a friend, Ive known for 50 years, who thinks that day was a mixture of government set bombs and 3-d images.

I had just transferred to another department and was in the briefing room when it hit the news. Pretty somber morning.

Went to Wyoming a day or two letter and it was different. Not a plane flying over for days.

Bessie,

I have a friend, Ive known for 50 years, who thinks that day was a mixture of government set bombs and 3-d images.
I stood in the hole many times. I can't comprehend someone that stupid. Please punch them in the mouth for me. :)

I'm seeing that pretty much everyone heard it on the radio. We forget how powerful that background noise really is.

was out putting in a powder river gate in our round pen and wife hollared that breakfast was ready..walked in and she said a plane had hit a twin tower on local rasio station..turned on T.V. while eating breakfast the other plane hit..I immediately went and strapped on my. 45 auto....told the wife we just went to war with somebody...still wearing a pistol where-ever I go today...

Just walked into work in the fire prevention division of the El Paso Fire Department. Sat and watched the news. Sad day.
Mike

I was working on a radio station in SF Live 105 and was talking to the on air jock when it happened.
Yes when you slice the building in half it cannot hold up the weight from above and that will cause the building to fall as it did.
They knew what they were doing, bad day for sure I remember it like it was yesterday
Just like when Kennedy got killed I was in line for school lunch in the third grade. You always remember things like this you can't forget..

I was teaching a workplace Hazmat class. All tge instructors went to watch the news when it started to air. When we figured it out the site went lockdown sheltering in place. We prayed those responsible would pay dearly.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom