Which ATV?

polarbear

Long Time Member
Hey
I am sure that this subject has been delt with before, but.... I'm gonna bring it up again. I am looking to purchase a new ATV. I have an old Honda Rancher, which has been great. I want something with a little more poop to it. I am not going to use it for hunting (oxymoron) but mainly for work around the farm and an occasional ride in the mountains (on private property). I would prefer something 400 cc or more. I am going to rule out Suzuki. My cousins and I have had waaaaaay too many problems with Suzuki outboards and ATVs.
I know that a bunch of you have them, so what do you think? What, in your opinion, would be my best bet for a good all-around work/play rig?
Thanks!

yotewalk.gif

Eric

I just boought an 05 Arctic Cat 650 v2 and love it!! I did alot of unbiased research prior and decided that this was the machine for me. What sold me was the higher ground clearance and the sweet rack system, plus it has a 2" receiver hitch built in. I also looked at the Yamaha Grizzly 660, but like the looks of the Cat better. I originally planned on getting a polaris, but they were just too expensive. Good luck and have fun.........

Polarbear,

I use mine as you plan and my newest is a polaris sportsman 6x6. I love it. It is heavy but I am a big guy and don't mind. Riding it by yourself you can hardly tell it has 6 wheels except it is impossible to get stuck. It is WAY more handy for chores. When you load the bed it does get hard to steer.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-05 AT 08:34PM (MST)[p]For the price I don't think you can beat the 450 yamaha kodiak. They are a super machine and have plenty of power for that class of 400 - 500 cc. Sure they aren't the biggest and most powerful quad out there but are super fun to ride and easy to manuever. I would recommend this machine to anyone!

Polaris or artic cat. I have a polaris 400 and love it, never had any problems, my brother just bought the artic cat and loves it also. i would recommend either one.

I love my polaris 600, but it was a tough call between the Honda, the only difference, the price, Honda was about 1500 more at the time.

polarbear

I SENT YOU A PM!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING littlefoot HAS A NICE MACHINE,IT HAS SURVIVED ITS FIRST GUT SHOT!!!

I have a Sportsman 700 and kodiak 400. The Polaris is
a much better ride. I am happy with them both. However, if
you go with a kodiak spend a few hundred extra and get the 450.

I am surprised the previous post said the polaris was more
expensive. From my experience they have always been less
money.

I think he factored in the cost of the repairs and maintaince. I love my Honda, although the polaris has a better ride in the real rough stuff.
driftersifter

Hey, the Honda worked before. I also have a Rancher ES 4X4 and have had zero problems with it. The only complaint I have ever heard is the lack of independent rear suspension. That really comes into play at over 20 mph. I wouldn't think that would be much of an issue for a work ATV. I'd think reliability would be important in your decision. Honda ATVs are the most reliable, period, end of story. They run forever!

I'd go with on of the Foreman models that have high/low range option and bigger motor than the Rancher.

I have to second that,I've had Suzuki's, Yamaha's, Arctic Cats, and Honda's and you just cant beat the reliability of the Hondas, I've worked my Rancher to death and never had one minute's worth of problems with it. I'll admit the Honda's aren't near as fancy as some of the others, but that's ok with me--I'd rather be comfortable knowing that I won't be walking home instead of having something go wrong with some fancy gizmo that has malfunctioned and shut the engine down.....or something to that effect... Get a Rubicon

We use ATVs hard on my father-in-law's ranch. His helpers use two all day long in the summer hand spraying mesquite trees. We've used several brands, but prefer the Kawasakis. They have stood up better than Hondas. We don't like the Polaris's because of the shaft drive - they are more difficult to fix if they break in our opinion. We go for liquid cooled engines because we are usually driving pretty slow.

I guess you now have a supporter for every brand out there. I know the Kawasakis work fine for heavy duty use. Regardless of brand, staying on top of regular maintenance makes all the difference in the world just like it would on a car.

304099.jpg

honda
i have a polaris 700 that i use for work but is too heavy
for really maneuvering
hondas arer pretty die hard.

I come from a family that rides quite often, My Dad has a Yamaha Rhino, My brother and his wife ride Yamaha's the grizzly and Kokiak, and there are a few polaris sportsman's in the mix.

Each machine has pros and cons, the polaris rides like a cadillac but has seemed to have some minor problems over time.

The Yamahas have also had minor problems but the grizzly is sure fun to ride, plenty of power and comfortable too. The kodiak is also fun but doesn't quite have as much power for me personally, even though it will go just about anywhere you want.

The rhino, if you are willing to dish out a little more dinero would be my choice, it does everything a fourwheeler will do and you have the extra cargo capacity that you can't find on a fourwheeler. My dad uses it around his place and he loads it up with tools and supplies and works on his stuff. It is so versitile that last summer, we took it down to the dunes in Oregon and had a blast.

I had a Suzuki Quadrunner 500 4X4 from 1998 to last month. I had ZERO problems with the bike the entire time, ran like a champ till the day I traded it in for a Kawasaki Brute Force. I wanted an IRS ATV and the Brute Force was the best bike that met that requirement IMO. So far I like the Kawasaki a lot.

I am a big polaris fan... I have a 98' xplorer 400 and I just bought a Sporstman 600 twin. I love em' both they are great machines and I have never had any problems thus far... Two buddies of mine have new Grizzlys and they seem to get up and go as well. Anyways I feel that it has a lot to do with personal opinion. The only thing I would change about my Sportsman is the weight of it. It's a haevy motha!!!!!
redelkarher>>>------------------>

Thanks for all the replies guys!
What do you think about the Bombardiers? I have a chance to get one of those new John Deere Buck models with the tilt bed on it for a pretty good deal. It would be great for hauling hay and grain out to my cows, but how reliable are they? I only know folks with Bombardier watercraft and they seem to like them, but atvs are a totally different animal.
Thanks
yotewalk.gif

Eric

I have a Arctic Cat 500 with 460 miles on it. The transmission just burned up with minimal use on it. fatrooster.

Polarbear,

Be sure to get a kidney belt with that bombardier.

JB

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
--Benjamin Franklin 1759

I have 2 Arctic cat 500's. One is an automatic, one is a manual.I have had minimal trouble with them that I didn't cause!(been there wrecked that!!)I know a guy, thought his transmission burnt up and a nut came off his linkage? He also had 460 miles minimal use??
Skidplate

I know a guy named skidplate and it looks like he skinned all of the hair off of his head!!!!!! He just so happens to be a Raider fan. BBBoooooooo!!!!!! fatrooster.

Hey Fat,
I resemble that remark? Do you want me to give you a tune up? Make sure you have the correct oil in that bike before the warranty work!!(replace nut?) The lights? Just turn the key a little further before you have to rewire it! hehe

Hey skidoodle, I mean skidplate, don't forget about the time about when you had 20w-50 motor oil in your truck when it was 20 degrees below zero and you couldn't figure out why you burned up the starter in your truck. That oil was as thick as concrete. Ha ha ha ha. I guess we all do stupid things every once in a while. Are you still gonna go out elk scouting with me? fatrooster.

Hey Fat,
I thought you were going to bring up the fourwheel/two wheel thang,But thats the best! The warden is working next weekend so it's a go!
Skidplate