Which broadheads are you all shooting this year?

I don't know which ones are the most popular this year, but I have and will continue to shoot a 100gr Muzzy 3 blade.

Ed,
Are you able to get decent flight with them and do they require any special tuning? I would love to go to a fixed blade, but haven't found one that flys worth a damn. Do you shoot them with carbons or aluminums?

I will be shooting the same as always, Rocky Mountain Premier 125's.

Rut

quickdrawkinker:

If you're looking for a fixed bladed broadhead that flys great try the new Magnus Stingers. UNREAL arrow flight and nothing will out-penetrate that leading edge design. If you're looking for replacement style heads, the Muzzy's fly great as do the innerloc, NAP's, Wasp, and Rocky's. I've shot muzzy's for the last few years (deer) and they tune great. I still shoot some older style Magnus & Zwickey heads for elk and have never had a problem. However, trust me when I say the new stingers are great and you won't be disappointed. Good luck and have fun.

BOHNTR )))------------->

Have always used muzzy 4-blade 100 grains for deer, pigs and turkey. Two or three years ago I started using Spitfire 100 grain expandable for turkey and they worked great. I even tried them on one of my deer last year with good results.

Bill

I shoot a carbon Blackhawk Vapor shaft with the Muzzy's. They fly great. I have not had any problems.

Both my friend and I have had great sucess with N.A.Ps Thunderheads, both the 100, and the 125 grain types, thay have accounted for between the two of us, over twenty deer, including two P&Ys and one B&C.
Thay fly near perfectly out of my friends bow, but not quite as well out of mine. I felt the problem may have been that my friends bow is shooting (Im guessing) btwn 230-238fps, where as mine is shooting at a chrnographed confermed 263fps for a ten shot average.

I also have always been less than enthused about both the way T-Heads blades assemble in the furrule, and the "O-Ring" system they use to square up the blades to the washer.

I gave Wasps a through going over and realy liked not only there over all design as thay assemble and, but both their durrabillity, and their supper razor sharp blades, and needle sharp chisel point.

For what ever the reasion, the 100 grain Wasps fly near perfect for me. I will also state Im shooting at 67lbs and my arrow weighs in at slightly over 6 grains per lb of draw weight, and thay are well matched for stiffness. I shoot Golden Tip carbon arrows.

When I began to look for a possible replacement for my T-Heads, I tried and returned the fallowing Broadheads:
<>100 grain Muzzys, thay flew hands down the worst out of all the BHs I tried, and althogh thay were sharp and well made, thay were without a doubt the dullest BH out of all the ones I tried. Of the six I bought, none would easly shave hair off my wrist like all the rest would.
<>100 grain Sullivans Innerloks,
These are vary sharp excellent, well made BHs, thay simply did not fly well out of MY bow.
<>100 grain Rockets Ultimate Steel. These are quite durrable well made, super sharp BHs that flew litterally to the same POI as my field points. Their only short comming is the ferrule is so short that only two or at best three of the male threads screwed into the female threads of my arrows insert, so I chose not to use them.

The wasps also flew so well out of my bow that I could hunt with them without having to adjust my sight at all, and that is out to 45 yards. I also liked the way the blades were so sharp that the hair litterally flew off my wrist when I tried to shave it off. I also preformed a few penitration/durrabillity tests using some of my old XX78s and my new 100 grain wasps. I shot one arrow at a distence of 20 yards into a steel garbage can that had a piece of capeting on the outside as well. The arrow and broadhead penitrated through the carpet and both sides of the garbage can, but remained in the can. A full 7" of arrow stuck out the other side, and the Wasp BH held together perfectly, with no blade loss or failure of any kind, but the tip and blades were understandubly less sharp. I performed the same test but moved back to 35 yards. The results were much the same except this time the BH only penitrated 95% of the way through the second side of the can, but held up just as well as the first Wasp BH.

My bow is what I consider well tuned but probubly not perfect. My form is good and my draw length is also set as close to perfect as I could get. This bow paper tests both FPs & BHs quite well.

I now shoot 100 grain Wasps, and thay are hands down IMHO, the best all around performing BH I have ever shot, I would strongly recammend them to anyone.

Hope this was helpfull to some one.

I like the Muzzy 100 grain 3 blades.
I was having trouble at first but found the problem with grouping broad heads is mostly due to fletching clearance.
I now shoot a LX with a Trophy Ridge drop zone and broad head flight has never been so good.

I've tried all kinds of broadheads and used to swear by the thunderheads until I used a steelforce. Just looking at them you'll realize what kind of damage you can create. I have yet to resight my bow when changing over my field points to broadheads in three years. That's a huge aspect. They fly perfectly and I have three bulls and a buck to show for the damage they create. However one thing should always be mentioned on shooting broadheads. They will change your sights if your bow and arrows are not tuned properly. So many people come to me and ask how they fly the same and I look at their bow to see how it's not paper tuning correctly and thier fletches are hitting the rest, ect.... Broadheads will only magnify a problem in your bow to a point where it's obvious. Field points don't because they're cutting the wind in one solid piece. Aerodynamically a broadhead will do the same thing if a system is properly put together.

There are always exceptions to the rule however due to design of the broadhead and flight, however most of the high end broadheads have tested these things and work well. Some designs aren't well thought out. I've shot over 20 styles of broadheads and some I won't ever put back on an arrow, others are worth thier weight in gold. Just my .02.

tc

The innerlocks! Built far better than muzzy's (I used muzzy's for 5 years previously). The tip is connected to a shaft that screws directly into the insert thus giving it way more strength than the muzzy. I have broken muzzy's where the screw on tip attaches to the broadhead. That is a weak point on the broadhead and will break. My buddy hit a 6X7 bull elk on the far side front leg bone at 65 yards (the elk was standing with its near side leg forward and far side leg rearward, he thought the distance was 50 yards and the arrow passed under the brisket and hit that leg), he shattered the leg bone with the innerloc! It completely crushed the bone, the leg was dangling. By the way, 35 hours later we tracked and shot that bull in its bed, still alive but too weak from blood loss to run away.

330-Trapper

Steelforce 100gr...never had a broadhead pattern so closely to fieldpoints...and Tailchaser is Right about the way they cut...blow right through the animal creating an Awesome bloodtrail...
They have a 100% Free re-sharpening from steelforce.

try the new crimson talon fixed blade heads. They fly every bit as good as an expandable because their blades have a helicle on them. seriously they fly like darts. kind of expensive though $30.00 for 3 but their worth it.
>

I started shooting the Wensel Woodsman three blade two years ago on 5575 Goldtips. Shoot like darts. Excellent penetration; great blood trails.

Zwicky Black Diamond Delta's for elk and bear, and the Eskimo's for deer and antelope. Never had any flight problems with then as long as my equipment was tuned. I also shoot feathers so that may be why they fly well for me.

I second the Innerlocs (3 blade, 100 gr.). I've only bagged a feral pig with one but the penetration was awesome. The design is great. Also, 5shot who developed a good benchmarking system for testing broadheads gave the innerlocs a real high score.

http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm
Innerloc test: <<http://www.huntingforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000170>>

They fly right where my field points go--they group tighter than the gladiator mechanicals and other fixed broadheads I've tried with my tackle but don't produce quite as tight of a group as my field points.

I have been thinkin of going to either the Crimson Talons, or the slick trick 4 blade, both 100 grain.
I have been using the Wasp 100grain and I really love the blade, but time to try somthing new.

-Cass

Broadheads are one of my favorite things in my bow tackle. I've tried quite a few different types mechanical and fixed blades.

I bought quite a few years ago some mechanicals called Triskas (I don't even know if they are still in business and make them anymore). I've also had Gladiators which flew like field tips (I never hunted with them though). Then come the Muzzys and I've shot 100?s and 125?s. I like the 125?s the best I used to tune them with rubber o-rings, which worked good and I could always tune them in good, but then I started to hot melt my inserts instead of epoxy so I didn't have to use the o-ring because I could heat them up and tune them with the broadhead screwed all the way in, however the only thing about the hot melt is that in cold weather when I'd go to pull an arrow out and the insert would come out on some of them).

That was then this is now: 2 years ago in Idaho I shot a 300-320 class bull from about 40 yards away and my penatration was alright but I still had about 10" of arrow sticking out (with muzzys), so I started to shoot cut on impact because from what I've seen I can get way more penetration IMO. I really like the Magnus two blade screw in, and I really would like to try the stinger, and I probably would if I didn't like my Steel Force Sabertooth 2 blades (125) so well. I also would like to try the Titanium Hellfires, which very very wicked.

Troy

Flick 'em & Stick 'em

Troy,
Sounds like maybe your bow isn't shooting fast enough for those 125 grainers? Muzzy's are usually outstanding as far as penetration goes. Just a suggestion---try switching to a 100 grainer that has a smaller cutting diameter and you'll have more pass throughs---remember, this is only a suggestion! good luck

LAST EDITED ON May-14-04 AT 02:08PM (MST)[p]I just purchased three 100 grain Rocket Naildrivers. Went out for a pig hunt here in Central Cal and shot a nice boar at 23 yards. It ran 35 yards and piled up. So far they fly awesome and did a great job on penetration. Still want to do some more shooting though. They use the rubber band system, which I'm not a big fan of, but I can probably deal.

For all you Muzzy shooters, I am interested to know if any of you have experimented with the 3 vs. 4 blade models? I have shot the Muzzy 100 3 blade models successfully for several years with a Hoyt Striker using both aluminum and carbon arrows. However, I was getting poor flight with my 2001 Hoyt Ultratec using carbon arrows. When I switched to the 4 blade Muzzy blades I got excellent flight. I have successfully harvested animals with both models. Now I am shooting a 2004 Hoyt Xtec and I get great flight with both the 3 and 4 blade Muzzy broadheads. Now I can't decide which model to hunt with. Suggestions regarding which might be better regarding cutting surface, wind drift, etc? I would appreciate feedback regarding any experience with one versus the other.

Thanks,

Muleydoc

SATELITES, 3 blade.
have taken 32 deer over 33 years with these.
why change now.
Far superior to all the junk there marketing now.
when men were men adn rocks were rock,
not like to days, men were gay fage%%s and rocks are plastic.
sorry if i hit home.
I just tell it like it is.

I've shot most of the heads out there. Every bow that I've owned has shot a different head better than the other. A lot of this will be dependent upon you're bow setup and how you shoot. Now, of the afore mentioned broadheads in the postings...they all can kill with a well placed shot. Some heads do hold up better than others and some will also penetrate better than others on any given shot. I've taken quite few animals with the Rocket Steelhead 100's...Love'em! The Slicktrick head is a fairly new head that is well designed...it's kind of a cross between the Muzzy and Innerlock head. Very tough head and shot well out of quite a few bows that we tried them. A new head that I was very impressed with is the Wack'em Broadhead made in Payson , Utah...this head is definitley something to look at. I've killed animals with Rocky's, Thunderheads, Muzzy's, Anderson's, and a few others. Just tune your bow for whatever head you decide on and practice. Build your confidence in your equipment and you'll feel good about you decision!

Scott

This is the third post of yours I have read today that makes no sense whatsoever.

"when men were men adn rocks were rock,
not like to days, men were gay fage%%s and rocks are plastic.
sorry if i hit home.
I just tell it like it is."

What in the world does that mean? You say "not like to days" then throw in some past tense crap about men that "were gay" something or other. You should stop smoking that moss that you cut your wifes meat on and step back into reality.

Drum

The most popular? Has been thunderheads for a while now, on numbers alone. Are they the best? Far from it.
The best rated fixed blade heads have been muzzy and montec g5. Of the two, I hunt with montecs. They are made from a single piece of steel, with nothing to break, bend, crack or screw up on you. Just an awesome broadhead. The blade angle is much larger than other heads, so they don't feel as sharp, but don't let that fool you. They are designed to be bulletproof, and they are. In my opinion, the perfect broadhead. If you buy a pack you'll be able to use the same heads for years. Check out this link for some good info:
http://www.american-hunter.com/broadheads/broadhead_test.htm

I just purchased the Wack-em broadhead and love em.... Ive been shooting the stealhead 100's ...Im like the stealhead but these wackems shoot great... and I believe will do the job on an elk!

After reading all the reviews on different broadheads I narrowed it down to the Magnus Stingers and the Slick Tricks--ended up ordering the slick Tricks--I'll update this post after I have had a chance to try them out. Thanks for all the input!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom