Which CO Muzz Hunt

JHuntDeer

Hey relatively new here but just looking for a little advice. I am a NR to CO and I have 2 points. I want to do a CO Muzz hunt preferably in the high country backpacking. The units I am debating on are unit 35 (which allows me to hunt 35,36,361,45), unit 54, or unit 74.

I had pretty much decided on 35 because of the Wilderness areas in 36 and 45 but, then found out that there is an Early Rifle hunt going on in those Wilderness areas the exact same time as the muzzle loader hunt. So now I am not sure.

I hunted 54 three years ago and would love to go back but I don't think I will draw with just 2 points.

Unit 74 looks and seems very enticing with tons of high country but never stepped foot in the area. There is also an early rifle hunt on 74 but it is Sept. 1-9 and Muzz is 8-16 so it would pretty much be over.

What to do........any help or advice would be appreciated. PM me if you want.

Thanks.

I would look at units without an early rifle season. Let's use 74 as an example.

First the deer get chased for a week by archery hunters. Then they get chased for a week by rifle hunters. Seems by the time muzzy opens those high country deer have been pressured pretty good. Besides the top end bucks getting killed year after year with a rifle.

Myself I would either hunt it archery or pick a unit with high country that doesn't have an early rifle hunt.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I'm pretty sure most of the units you mentioned are OTC elk? You will likely see a lot more hunting pressure from archery and muzzy elk hunters than early rifle hunters. Take a look at how many high country rifle tags are issued compared to archery/muzzy elk hunters!

You are likely in a pretty good position if you've already spent time in a unit. Muzzy can sometimes be a little tough. Once bucks loose their velvet they tend to wander down into the trees where they seek seclusion until rut/snow drives them to the winter range. If it snows during muzzy it may also drive them into the trees where they are tougher to find. It may take lots of boot leather to find alpine bucks in just about any unit in Colo. Deer densities are generally super low and it may take time to find bachelor groups of bucks. Be ready to put lots of miles in and do lots of glassing. On the bright side Sept is a gorgeous time of year to be in the hills!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom