which would you do...

gopher1

Hello guys and gals, so next yr i could draw 3rd season in the gunnison area, for a deer tag in unit 67 would be a lock , and 4th season i'd be pushing it, on the tail end of draw, and then again i could draw 54 4rth rifle "is 54 a good unit" , just thought i'd throw this out there ,Just wondering is 4rth that much better tan 3rd

In general I would prefer a 4th season tag as well, but you only get 5 days vs the 7 days in 3rd season. Just something to consider,as 5 days goes by real quick.

^^^^
This if you are out of state and don’t know the area great. I helped on a 3rd and 4 th deer hunt last year. We saw more deer during third season.

I was in the same spot for this years hunt. Decided to go with 67 3rd. Thoughts were : I liked the 7 days over the 5 days. Had a fear of maybe “too much weather”in 4th. If the 3rd season was real good there’d be less bucks to hunt in 4th. Just my thoughts. So 3rd it is for me. I’ll let you know how it goes.

^^^^
This if you are out of state and don’t know the area great. I helped on a 3rd and 4 th deer hunt last year. We saw more deer during third season.
Yes Sir, from green bay wi, not really sure best time to be out there , if it were whitetail i could dile the rut in better thanks

It’s a crap shoot… I’ve always struggled with 4th. Dates don’t always make for the best conditions and 5 days goes damn fast. A lot of guys start feeling the pressure after 3 days and start shooting bucks they normally wouldn’t. I’ve always been a 3rd season guy myself. Especially with the new slaughter initiative season dates. But when you’re coming from Wisconsin with (I’m guessing) zero first hand knowledge of the units your best bet is to pick the latest season dates possible and roll the dice. The good thing about the late season rut hunts are scouting doesn’t play as much into as the early hunts do. It’s basically a drive around, cover a lot of country, glass a lot and pray 15 plus years of waiting for a 5 to 7 day hunt pans out.

Gopher1.
I will let you know how my 67 3rd season hunt turns out. We have 2 tags. Colorado Boy has made some good points. I have been hunting western states as a nonresident since 1979 and I’m a little worried about spending so many pts on on a unit I’ve never been in. Probably 80% of my experience has been chasing elk. Have seen some pretty good bucks over the years but haven’t hunted them for quite awhile. Hoping for the rut to be in full swing and bucks to be on the move checking does.

Not sure if it matters to you, but the 4th season dates probably overlap the Wisconsin gun deer season. Know plenty of guys who wouldn't miss that for the world...

I can't draw either of those tags so good luck!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom