which zone and best strategy

m_freeman

I am new to California and have no points do hope to get a draw for good area general rifle tag. What is the best strategy to get a tag from a good (high success) area?

Best strategy move to a different state :) or just get lucky in the draw. Not many general tags with good success in cali. Still have yet to take a deer here. Have had a few chances at small bucks but they just weren't worth putting the tag on (too small). Best bet is to hunt close to home and spend as much time in the field as you can (after opening day, its like a war zone in most areas). Also get as far from the road as possible. Northern cal is a better choice as well.

just my 2 cents.

The B zones in N Ca would be the best bet. Hike in or pack into one of the wilderness areas. The stats dont do these zones justice.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

>I am new to California and
>have no points do hope
>to get a draw for
>good area general rifle tag.
>What is the best strategy
>to get a tag from
>a good (high success) area?
>

What part of the state are you in?

I am in San Diego, I don't mind hiking in for an overnight or two to get away from the crowds and denser deer population.
I can also schedule midweek hunting so lucky there.

>The B zones in N Ca
>would be the best bet.
>Hike in or pack into
>one of the wilderness areas.
>The stats dont do these
>zones justice.
>
>"A well regulated militia, being necessary
>to the security of a
>free state, the right of
>the people to keep and
>bear arms shall not be
>infringed."

is that because folks don't want to walk in that far? Which B zones do you think is best?

Im also new to the state, im moving to temecula on sat. I hunt with a bow, but if you want a good scouting partner, i down to go looking.

Just asking here, is x12 an easy archery draw? just reading the last post and wondering if it is?
Thanks

I thought i read in there someplace that a guy could hunt it every couple years but don't know how accurate that is.

You need to get on the Cal Fish & Game website and learn to find your way around. I was just there a couple days ago and there is info under, "drawing statistic's" i think, on all the different hunts, how many tags in each unit, how many guys with max points put in for it last season, what was the lowest points that was still able to draw a tag, lots of telling info in there that will help you decided where your best chances of being able to hunt a "better" area are. You might not get what you want right off the bat but few of us get what we really want but at least we can hunt every year with our second or third choice... Good luck!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom