whisker bisquit

B

beaner

I have a buddy that just bought the new whisker bisquit arrow rest. Has anyone in this forum used them, and what do you think about them? Do you loose much accuracy with the fletching contact?

beaner, I have a whisker bisquit. Bottom line, it is the best hunting rest I have ever shot. For a long time I used a TM shoot through with **** feather down. I also had to have my finger on the arrow to prevent it from falling off. Not to bad of a set up, but I seemed to always be bumping a feather. Then I switched to a drop away Montana Black Gold, the one with out any strings. It did seem to improve in the accuracy department, but they are finicky and as far as I was concerend one more thing to worry about. Infact I missed an opportunity at a 350-360 bull because of it. Lets just say I had to do some moving quick and I was well aware of the size of the brute, and when the shot presented itself, the arrow slipped off the rest!
So like all good bow hunters, I bought another rest. My buddy swears by the Trophy Taker, but I have looked at it and am not satisfied that it is any better then the others in the stability department.
hence the answer to your question. I got the top of the line whisker bisquit for hunting.(I still shoot a drop away for part of the 3-D season). I have not noticed any notciable tuning problems, and now that they have the side load option which i hightly recomend it is a damn fine rest. Only two things that I can say bad about it.
1. If you shoot feathers, you will notice considerable wear on them. I fletch my own so I could care less, and at the end of two seasons will need to re-fletch. However of the 12 arrows, I shot 5 into animals and burned 2 on the target range, and have lost more feathers to the elements (they just came off) then to the rest.
2. Make sure that your feathers do not contact the rest at the resting position. It makes a noticable sound when you draw the feathers or portions of them backwards through the rest. Mine does this so I am going to put 4 inch feathers on next time.
This year I got a Bear, 6X7 bull,and a 5x5 whitetail two day ago all using a whisker. the bull is on this web site.
good luck & holidays.

Thanks for the advice. I too still use an old TM and hate the dang thing. It is accurate, but I hate worrying about the arrow falling off the rest if I have to adjust myself in a treestand or reposition myself while on the ground. I may buy one and give it a whirl in the off season and see how it shoots.

Merry Christmas

S/F

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-03 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]My buddy uses the whisker biscuit and loves it. I have toyed with the idea of trying one but have yet to take the plunge. My main reason for not using one is that it seems to me hunting in snow or ice could screw it up? Just a thought I have.....I have never tried it out to be sure. We get LOTS of icy rain where I hunt, I'd hate to screw up a shot because my rest was frozen LOL.

You guys that have used them. Is this deduction off base? Is there something to put on the whiskers to keep them from freezing? I like the fact that the arrow will stay on teh rest no matter what. Giving up a few fps doesn't bother me a bit. If I knew they would hold up during bad weather hunts I'd definitely give them a try.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-24-03 AT 10:36AM (MST)[p]I've tuned lots of bows and repaired even more arrows over the years for guys/gals. I'm not saying it's a poorly designed sight, but it is tough on feathers and vanes alike. (hey that rymed) I understand that when the bristles get wet and freeze, the sight will not perform as designed. However, there is a spray you can apply. It's not unscented though. My personal opinion, there's better rests available.

Iron Buck:

Welcome to the archery section of MM. Stop in any time, we would love to hear some stories and photos from our eastern brothers.

BOHNTR )))------------>

FYI I'm a novice archer with little experience as compared to the others on this forum. That aside, a WB is all I have ever used and I love it compared to my friend's flippers. About vane wear when I shot 5 inch vanes the wear was bad but a shop owner switched me to 4 inch vanes and the only wear I get is when my field points tear thru my vanes from those tight groups I shoot now. I'm now trying Crimson Talon broadheads and from what I see I have a hand held compound laser Pronghorn tamer in my mitts.

I love the WB. I have put countless arrows through it and not a single problem. My accuracy did increase considerably due to it also. The only thing I have seen is the vane start to pull off the arrow at the front tip of the vane, but just put a drop of flecthing glue on the tips, and that is solved. I wouldnt trade my WB for anything.

I put my arrow on the rest when I leave the truck going up the mountain, and dont have to think about it again, its there if a quick setup is needed.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-03 AT 07:19PM (MST)[p]BOHUNTR:
What other rests are you talking about? I have been shooting a plain old NAP Quicktune 1000 for the past 4 years on my Mathews Ultra Max. It worked great when I used nice fat Aluminum arrows. This past season I made the switch to carbons ( Gold Tip XTs). I LOVE the durability of carbons but the Quick tune rest is a pain to set up with them. I lived through last season with what I called "controled interference" I need to try something else that will be easier to eliminate fletching contact with. I am reluctant to go with a drop away because of the chance of snagging the cable on something while chasing elk. I am looking for simplicity and durability. That is why I had been toying with the idea of trying the bisquit. What are some other good options in your opinion?

PS

Thanks for the welcome!

IronBuck:

Don't get me wrong, the whisker bisquit works, however there will be vane/fletch wear with continual use. Granted, I shoot at least 200 arrows a week. I usually choose a rest that allows minimal contact with vanes. Obviously this one does not meet that critera. IMO

I'm also not sold on all of the fall away rests that have flooded the market. If you're ever at the AMO Trade Show in Nevada or the SHOT show, look at the video that shows ALL rests manufactured being videotpaed in slow motion. Surprisingly, out of the 20 some fall aways rests from various manufacturers, only 2-3 performed the SAME on every shot. Some didn't even drop as designed. The few that did perform well were a few models designed by Trophy Taker. Muzzy, NAP, and many others did NOT perform the same on every shot.

Some of the other rests (traditional prong TM Hunter type) that performed well were Golden Key Futura and NAP. Both build rests to accomodate your carbon arrows and should perform as designed. Furthermore, if you watch the annual Vegas Shoot, many top ranked archers shoot these rests too. Not many shooting whisker bisquits. :)

One of the most surprising rests that performed well was several designs made by Bodoodle. Might want to check these out too or ask some people shooting them on how they like them.

As you know, bowhunters and archers alike are the worst gadget people around. :) We always want something better and newer. I know, I've been guilty of this many times. If your rests and arrow combination is shooting good holes in paper, and performs well in the field, I wouldn't change a thing. Of course the new trade show is coming up and some new rests are coming out. Maybe, just maybe................:)

BOHNTR )))----------->

My question is how much speed do you lose by the fletchings going through the bristles?

An archery shop told me that you will loose 4-10 ft per second. Depending on arrow. They work great for tree stand hunters.

jeremy

If you guys want a rest that will hold your arrow in place without falling off check out the stealth hunter rest made by Inventive Technologies. It is far superior to the whisker biscuit. No fletching contact, uses three rubber studs instead of whiskers, fully adjustable and has been around for years. They are located in American Fork. They retail for only $30.00 I've used it for the past year.

MrBaitnFish, I agree with you. I have been using the same rest for going on 4 years now if I remember right. I knock an arrow in the moring when I go out and I dont have to worry at all about my arrow falling off. I shoot with their rest and the accu-vanes that they make. I have never had a problem with them. Here is a link to their website.

www.inventivetechnology.com

I just started using the whisker bisquit last year and really like the way it works. Takes a lot of worry about loosing your arrow from the rest and clanking on the bow. I especially like the new side load frame style. You can nock your arrow and go for hours without it slipping off. I used it from a tree stand while elk hunting this year and it worked great. The only negative I had was the fletchings took a lot of wear, but it didn't seem to effect the flight. I checked out the new stealth hunter these guys are talking about and it looks like a super rest also. I think I may give it a try this year. What it boils down to is what you feel comfortable with!
Good Luck! :9

Sounds like a sex toy to me, never heard of it but might have to try one.

LoL, hardly! It'll probably get you less cause you'll spend more time shooting than w/ your wife! lol

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

I may be a little late in the game here, but I to love the Whisker Biscut. It has improved my accuarcy and confidance 5 fold since i started shooting with it about 2 years ago. My wife and father both shoot and love them as well.
Michael

I have hunted with a buddy that is sold on the WB, and I have been with him when he has taken game. But the fact is, he does not shoot in leagues during the off season. I really like the concept of the WB for hunting, but not for the 3D leagues. There are reasons you see very few people at competitive shoots and leagues that shoot the WB. The two reasons I know of are: 1. There are more accurate rests (when you are talking the difference between an 8 and 12 ring). 2. You will get sick of repairing vanes. So, my suggestion is to decide if you will be shooting leagues or mostly hunting. The WB is very nice for hunting, but definatley not the top choice for targets (many shots).

Thought I'd revive an old post by giving my two bits on the WB. I went in to my archery shop to pick up my new bow with the expectation that i'd outfit it with a fall away rest. However, after telling the guy the bow was mainly for hunting he recommended the WB. I was able to shoot all the rests at the shop and was the most confident with the WB. It does wear a bit on the front of the vanes, but i'll try a dab of glue on the front of the fletch as suggested. awesome rest though.

cabinfever

Try shorter vanes, I had problems with the WB eating my 5 inch vanes but took the advice of the shop I buy from and switched to 4 inch vanes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom