whitetail in utah

300wbyfan

what is the deal with all the damn whitetail poping up across the state, is there someone planting them or is it the dwr. does anyone have pics have any pics of utah whitetail and what is the dwr stand on them are they regulated or are they like coyotes and kill every one that you see? weatherbys rule

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-09 AT 01:51AM (MST)[p]Take it from a guy that grew up back East, if there are really whitetails in Utah it is because the whitetails want to be there. I doubt anyone helped them get there. They are like illegal aliens, you wake up one day and there are 12 of them living in a space big enough for 3 and you can't get rid of them no matter how hard you try.

A mature whitetail is 3 times as smart as a muley. He doesn't mind living in your backyard eating your grass and rosebushes, his offspring will be twins and triplets, he will watch muleys die of winter kill while he lives behind the 7-11 on main street and he will be here long after we are gone. I like to analogize them to roaches after a nuclear holocaust or bums on the freeway exit. Whitetails are like marines, they will adapt and over come! Not trying to step on the muley lovers (myself being one of them) but whitetails will displace muleys.

If whitetails really are in Utah, get used to them because they are not going anywhere even if you put a wide open season or bounty on them. You might decrease there numbers but they will always be there.

Like I said in the General forum post..

The whitetails have been entering t for years now, they started coming in from Idaho thru the Bear River valley I believe, some have been seen as high as Tony Grove up Logan Canyon and as low as Bear River Refuge.
I think it was last spring 08 that one was road killed in Ogden around 31st street exit of I15. so they are in teh Weber river valley as well.

As for DWR position... your deer tag say's "1 deer" it do's not say Mule deer. so if you see him and like him...pop him and post pic's.

They are here so we will just have to deal with it.

I dont think the dwr would plant whitetail in utah they cant even manage muledeer my guess is they want to keep them out.
Ive never seen any in utah but I have just out side of fort bridger, im sure they have made it over the border
im sure they dont make it long once they cross over.

Last winter I seen my first whitetail buck a young six pointer, just off the Jordan River and I-215. I wished I had a camera at the time. He was hanging with about eight muley does. There was no mistaking him, when he turned and ran that white flag went straight up.

Smokepole

Friend of mine killed a real nice non-typical whitetail last Fall here in Northern Cache Valley. I shot at a small whitetail buck the year before in the same area.

Im a 100% muley guy, but I dont see where the problem is. The best mule deer states right now also have whitetails.

Some might make the argument that UT cant manage Muleys let alone adding whitetails to it. I disagree, where muleys struggle whiteys will thrive. I guarantee most people that shoot small muleys would shoot a small whitetail. The whiteys might actually relieve some pressure from the muleys.

CO, WY, MT all have both and they seem to be fine. I don't see the problem.

The problem is whitetails push Mule deer out. They are more aggressive then mule deer. West Texas mule deer heard has been desimated by the whitetails.

I personally Cant Wait for Whitetail to take Over. The DWR Obviously does not want Mule Deer, and the dont want you to Hunt them. So hopefully we will end up like alabama and Be able to Shoot like 7 Deer. Dont get me Wrong, I love My Mule Deer, But the DWR Doesnt Want to Bring the Numbers Back and I want it to go Back to the Good Ole Days of just Buying a Tag. None of this Draw Bullshit. They will have no Choice with the Whitetail they will just take over and there wont be anything that the DWR can do about it.

I agree Mulies will get pushed out just like our deer, elk and moose are getting pushed out of the Uintahs. Wolves are all over the Uintahs I know a guy that shot at one as far as Delta. And this last year they transplanted Grizzlies into the area, I know that because my buddy lost all five dogs to one. That was on the south slope he was so pissed he went right to the division and told them what happened. After he finally said he would take care of it, they admitted to having transplanted some from Yellowstone.

The best way to get rid of whitetails would be for the DWR to manage them, look at what they have done for the mulies! Yeah I know habitat losses(Colorado has no habitat loss) and rough winters(Idaho has no winters) and predators(montana has no predators). But since this invasion is taking place can we please not turn into a bunch of easterners, if their are 3 points on each side it is a three point, not a six point. We are westerners DAMN IT!!!!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom