Whitetails unit 1

elktaker

Couple of questions for the future.

I am interested in trying to draw unit 1 to target whitetails. I am a nonresident in Utah and grew up in east hunting whitetails and would not mind a trip up north to hunt them. Getting a lot of confusion on the Idaho website. Looks like they have whitetail only which should be easier to draw, correct?

What are my odds to draw a unit 1 tag? I want to target public land whitetails and DIY. Is there another unit worth looking at over 1 that has bucks and public land.

I would want to hunt the rut and I typically have a month off work in November into early December.

I hunt archery, mz, and rifle.would prefer rifle since I typically hunt archery elk Otc and mule deer either mz or archery.

Thanks for any info and hope every ones season is going well. My Utah hunting ends first week of October for big game and now I am onto ducks.

Deer tags for all units in the panhandle are OTC unless you want an early tag which is draw. You can hunt with a general tag which allows mule deer or whitetail. There is also a whitetail only tag which you'd want if you plan on hunting whitetail south of unit 6 in November. The farther north you go the thicker the brush gets in general. If you're traveling from Utah you'll be passing through a lot of other good whitetail ground on your way to unit 1. I think it really depends on what type of hunting you'd like to do.

It depends on the type of hunting you do. If glassing big basins and making a move is your style, unit 1 will probably be very frustrating for you. Guys do well sitting stands in the late season freezing their a$$es off for hours overlooking clear cuts, and guys do well still hunting the deep dark holes in the timber where a long shot may 50 yards. Oh yeah and in the thick stuff there's always a chance of a grizzly encounter. Unit 1 is more like coastal blacktail hunting than traditional whitetail hunting. It's not a great unit for a first time whitetail hunter. If I were travelling all the way from Utah for a rut whitetail hunt, I'd bring an atv, not a utv, idaho has a 50 inch wheelbase rule that is enforced by the size of the opening around the gate. And I would go to unit six and look over the huge clearcuts up high.

Thanks for the info so far.

Looks like 1 would not be what I am looking for. I would prefer glassing up rutting bucks and moving in.

I also shot long range and with a good wind dope, I am comfortable at 800 yards with my rifle on hair.

I would be looking to shoot a 8pt or better hunting and prefer to hike away from crowds if possible. As for as an atv, I have a dual sport motorcycle.

I am more boots on the ground type of hunter if deer are moving. I am guessing 2nd or 3rd week of November is best for rut up north.

>I am headed there in a
>few weeks.

To unit 1? It is sounding like 1 probably will not be the best choice for me having best chance at success.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom