Whitetails

grosventrehunter

Very Active Member
Was thinking about hunting the northern part of the state for whitetails. If i dont draw my deer tag here in Wyoming i might give it a try. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as deer numbers and hunting pressure? Any info would be appreciated. Thank you.

Deer hunting is pretty good..November 14-24th being the best dates. U can get away from pressure up here as there is tons of public land.

Grosventrehunter,

I am by no means an expert on hunting whitetails up north, but I will tell you I started buying an extra out of state tag just for this hunt (the past 3 years). I trophy hunt for mulies and meat hunt for whitetails. I generally hunt up around Orofino or Grangeville and my experience has been pretty good. I see good numbers of deer when I go out and I fill my tag (just looking for the freezer fillers). I will say that I have seen some jaw dropper bucks in the back of trucks (they are out there). Timing wise, the rut is late Nov. However, I generally hunt the last week of the season (run up for 2 or 3 days) and I see plenty of animals. Hunting pressure can be an issue. Where I hunt there seems to be a number of folks riding their ATVs, but I like to hike, so I get away from them pretty easy. If you're looking for an easy going hunt and an opportunity to take an animal (small buck or doe)... that is no problem. If you're looking for a wall hanger ... I'm not the person to talk to about that, but it is a fun hunt.

I hope that helps and good luck!

idgator, I'm looking for a fairly easy hunt since I'm now 2 weeks out from ankle surgery. Still have one more to go, and hope to be walking by the end of September. Not going to be able to do any backpacking this year here in Wyoming. I'm not looking for anything to big, just a chance to get out and hunt this year. If I can help you here in Wyoming don't hesitate to shoot me a pm. Thank you.

I dont know how north you are talking in ID...I can help steer you to an area that has lots of clear cuts and log roads u can take quads on, drive or walk..there is some gated roads to for walking. PM me if interested...area is not affected by wolves either

Well from Oregon hunted out of Sandpoint with a friend in 2006. We hunted hard around the 15th of November. I killed a 160 buck and my friend shot at 2 bucks. If you put your time in you can do well. JB

When you find an area you are interested in check it out for wolves. Call the bio.(watch it some will tell you that they leave the deer alone and munch on elk) Ya right!! The late muzzy hunt on the Selway river, used to be great fun, one would see number of good bucks on the hunt. Wolves came deer eaten end of story.
"We have met the enemy, and they is us!" Pogo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom