Who applies for archery deer?

JakeH

Long Time Member
Just wonder who is applying for archery deer in Colorado?

I started off putting in several years ago for a particular archery deer tag around 2008, at that time it was only taking 2 or 3 NR points but after 5 years point creep kept me from getting the tag so I switched to another unit 2nd rifle and drew and went hunting. I've been building points again and gotten back up to 5 points while picking up re-issue tags every year.

While doing research I realized the hunt I initially started going for had dropped off significantly in points needed about the year they pushed the dates back for all the hunts (2020). It dropped from needing 8 points for a chance to only 3 for a chance, and it's held at the 4 point range for the last 2 years.

I've not payed attention to all the units, but did all the archery hunts take a dive in points needed back in 2020 or just this one?

So how many of you who consider yourselves archery hunters are still applying for the archery deer tags? And are you resident or non-resident?

I think the later dates turned a lot of guys off to archery hunting deer in Co, for me I would rather chase elk in the rut, and other than a bear I typically don’t love doubling up on species during a hunt, often you will sacrifice and kind of just chase one species. I also think the influx of backpackers and peak baggers might be moving some of the bucks from alpine down into dark timber, which as you know can make targeting them with a bow almost impossible.

The buck tag i like has taken 4 or 5 points consistently for about three go rounds.

I applied for it again this year even though i drew it last year.

If you're gonna shoot a hard-horned buck... might as well do it with a rifle during the rut when all the big boys are out....;)

Archery deer hunters kind of took it in the shorts being overlapped with the later elk dates...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom