Who cares about the Strip???

B

Bura Nut

It has been brought to my attention that the "life saving" water on the strip costs alot of money and sportsmen are paying MORE than their fair share. Game cameras need to be purchased/set up on water tanks that will record how much wildlife use versus cattle use is taking place. There is a group of people set up to provide the labor/time involved, but the purchase of camera's, supplies etc needs to be paid for. Currently Arizona Deer Association has kicked donated a big chunk, but there is still a shortage. Mule Deer Foundation decided not to provide any money. ( Dont they get a Governors tag given to them by AZ each year?) Anyway, any amount of money you can donate to this cause will really help the deer and enable the fair distribution of ongoing water costs.

Please call ADA 480-854-8950
or 480-994-4029 to provide any/all donations you can scrape up. This will be a "Contribution to a non-profit Organization" so it is tax deductable.

Email me if you have any questions.

Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I'll help out Allen. I should see Steve at the expo this weekend and I'll give it to them there

My check went out Monday.

A big thank you to Steve and all the other volunteers that make these projects happen.

Thanks guys. I hope others dont think that just because "they dont hunt the strip" they shouldnt be concerned. Actually the money that will be saved from this study will allow for more money to go into projects elsewhere. For example, all the desert drinkers/tanks can have additional monies......I personally have never hunted the strip, I Just want to see the deer/animals helped. Thanks, Allen Taylor......

You guys do know you are funding Steve's addiction, right? - and also a very good reason for him to get out of the house don't you? I predict Steve will be a very popular guy after the 13B tags are drawn. Just razzin ya Steve and you know I support your efforts fully and will also be contributing towards this project, as all of you should as well. Steve is one guy who works for AZ's deer herds with no pre-conditions, puts his money where his mouth is and ALWAYS follows through till the bitter end to get questions answered and to find solutions where problems live. Check in the mail.

Wetmule;
Thanks!
I'm just a guy who cares, like the rest of the sportsman
of Az.
Steve Cheuvront

Kevin, thanks for the support. I see a few outfitters on here and want to challenge them to give to this great cause since their livelihood depends on the animals this project is serving............. Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Guys;
We will be checking every man made water source in 13B
and either making small repairs, adding an escape ramp,
or making sure water is avaliable for wildlife.
As for the cameras, thats what we need the money for.
All and I mean all, pictures will be kept secret. I will not be giving any info to anyone. That's not the point of the study.
We want to find exactly what is drinking at these waters and how many. When we have this info, we will be in a position to
have teeth in the statements we make. This in turn will provide much more money for mule deer thruout the state. That is the reason for the study.
For those that don't know, I do not shoot mule deer any more.
Not since 1972. But, I hunt the heck out of them, and photograph all I can. The point is, I'm not looking for a big buck on your dollar, and won't use this info to help anyone.
The point is to have more money for wildlife.
Steve Cheuvront

You want to get some money?? Share the pics with all those that contribute.. It doesnt mean you have to say where. Not sharing the pics seems odd. Maybe some of the higher ups in different organiziations or friends are trying to get some "funded scouting"... It would only be fair to share the pics with all that participate IMO.

Cannon;

You don't understand.

This is a fact finding mission.

The cameras will be placed at water sources thruout the whole unit. This info will be used to get true facts as to what , how many and where the animals drink. Each camera will remain in place for 1 year.

I will not supply the facts of this study for three years. At that time all photos will be turned over to the AZG&FD for their studies.

Just because some one contributes to the study, they all understand the findings will be used to get more money for mule deer on the strip and thruout the whole state.

This is getting out of hand.

My friend BURA NUT, thought we could stir up some interest from true sportsmen.

I am not in this to find big deer. Frankly, I can do that already, sorry to say that, but I can.

I am not selling information!!!!!!!!!

I am just trying to fund a study.

Myself and an other sportsman will be making 12 trips for 2 weeks each, to 13 B to make this study all at no cost, for free.

We will log our time as volunteers for the AZGFD and it will yeild $67,712.64 in volunteer time. These funds will have a
4 to 1 match. That means that a total of $270,850.56 will be avaliable for wildlife in AZ. due to our volunteer effort.

This is simple if you want and can help, do so.
If you can't we understand, and we will fight the fight for you.
In the end we all want the same thing, better conditions for wildlife, period!

Steve Cheuvront

steve,

could you expand on the last couple of paragraphs of your previous post? specifically with the math/budjet?

is it for free in a sense you will not get paid, except for your "expenses?"

how does the game and fish match the funds? who does this money go to (organization and/or people)?

please explain this part for me. it is confusing. thanks. it could be a great study. i was there last yr. and there was literally a cam on EVERY SINGLE drinker already, if not three. i wonder if people putting the cams out would be willing to exchange info? just a thought. also, depending on the yr. you will get vast difference in results (usage of wildlife vs. livestock). i know this by example from running SEVERAL cams in other places for several yrs. very interesting what you can and will find in your study.

Billy and All;

We ,the sportsman, who will actually do the work of checking all the man made water sources, making repairs, adding escape ramps, recording wheather or not the co-op waters are supplying water to wildlife, these tasks and all the rest of the work is free. No money will be paid to us for anything except money to purchase the cameras, batteries, SD cards, bear boxes, locks.

That's it no, I repeat no money will be paid to the sportsmen who volunteer for this work.

The AZGFD uses the vlounteer time, from not only our project, but all the volunteer projects, and they have an hourly price
and all these hours are added up and the monetary value is matched 4 to 1 for projects to benifite wildlife. I could not tell you who could apply for those funds. If you contact
Les Bell at AZGFD, he is the vlounteer coordinator, and he could
answer your questions.

Steve Cheuvront

Steve,

Screw these guys, you and I will get the job done. We don't need people who are always asking what's in it for them. Even if it takes all Spring, we'll get it done.

Billy,

We will pay for all our own gas and food.

This will be the last time I will answer that
question of we get no pay, we pay all our own expenses.

Steve Cheuvront

For your study to have any kind of validity you should also put cameras on all waters (tanks & springs) that are owned and maintained by the cattlemen. How many deer and antelope are drinking free gratus from these waters? Can't speak for all of 13B but on the Atkin's allotments these tanks are on on private property even though most of their grazing land is on BLM. I was the last APHIS trapper to work on the strip and I can both show you and tell you that the problem is the predators and not the waters. Look at the numbers then and now. I would dare say that when deer numbers were at their peak on 13B there was most likely not a single guzzler or wildlife group maintained water source. These peak population numbers were also at the time of and for a few years after the use of the coyote killing predacide compound 1080.(banned by pres. Nixon in 1972) Ted Riggs was an expert coyote control man and made good use of 1080 when it was legal. If you want to see real results and a real increase in deer numbers your group should do something that takes a lot more sweat than placing cameras and building guzzlers. Burn your bridges with the cattlemen and deer numbers will go even lower. I am not looking for a job but pay my gas in the spring and I will kill as many lactating bitches as your funds allow. This coupled with more lion hunting will bring results that you can see within three years.

kolob has his thinkin' cap on!!!

don't know why people are so defensive when questions are asked????? no wonder people have questions.......

thanks for the answers.

The attitudes of the people asking for help will guarantee that they do not get help.

Instead of buying a bunch of strip hunters more cameras, maybe the some money should be donated to just add a bunch more water and kill some cats. Que no? Seems like there is lots of cams already up there. Half of St George would be out there, filling their truck beds with new cams.

Man made water sources? Are you gonna ring the dirt tanks with cams? Private land? Not on springs, etc?

Good luck with your deer study,

Matt Woodward

>I
>will kill as many lactating
>bitches as your funds allow.

That was awesome.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

To All;

The first thing we will show is the importance
of the rancher waters to wildlife.
I agree whole heartedly. Without the rancher waters the deer on the strip would be in bad shape. Our cameras will show this.

We are also working in conjunction with a predator controll
effort.

I know the Atkins and Esplins and other ranchers and they are great. We are not burning bridges with any one, quite the contrary. As I said we will be recognizing these ranchers
waters and there unselfish dedication to wildlife.

How you guys find the worst in every effort to help wildlife is beyond me.

Steve Cheuvront

Frontera;

" buying a bunch of strip hunters more cameras "

from all I have explained to all of you, that's the comment you make.

I am hard pressed to take you seriously.

Steve

I am not sure how others feel about this, but it is not wrong to ask questions to something that you might donate to??? What is the wrong in that? I am not saying this is a good or a bad thing, I have my opinions, but to slam those that ask, are you kidding me? I know this, there are guides up there that already have the info that you are trying to collect, that annualy run more cameras than you can imagine,hundreds of cams. I would work with them, and obtain some numbers, then go kill the heck out of the predators... Seems like the information is already available. Good luck with your study.

steve,

it's not the worst in every effort to save wildlife. all taken wrong.

i don't know why those who are asked questions are so offensive. that raises more questions.

it's not everyday that people ask for donations for trail cameras, lock boxes, etc. however, it's not everyday that people are conducting studies as you have described.

all those involved should have the information to answer the questions w/o being offended. constructive criticism is not a bad thing.

i would consider donating if there is a more open/responsible request.

fronteras first post is spot on.

Not trying to find the worst in anything. I applaud your efforts to help wildlife.

The wildlife would be in trouble without the ranchers water. Agreed. Hard to argue. Is the study to prove that? Is someone disputing that? Do the ranchers want to get rid of their water?

Is it safe to say that more water would be better?

Maybe we could fix 'em up, maintain them, and add more?

I guess I am just one who is not "getting it".

The "theory" that deer drink water has been proven, I think.

I am curious about the "predator control efforts" though.

Please help me understand what the final result of the study will be. Not interested in starting a pissing match, your thread has caught my attention, and I, and others, had some questions.

Matt Woodward

I know Steve personally and he certainly doesn't need my endorsement but some of the comments irritated me to the point that I have to respond. Sorry if this embarrasses you Steve. For the thick skulled, lets reiterate??

?Steve isn't a guide
?Steve doesn't work for game and fish
?Steve doesn't kill any of the deer he works so hard to support
?Steve spends tons of his own personal time and dollars in 13B collecting data on behalf of the deer up there (and has for a long time)

To all of the conspiracy theorists that are trying to figure out his motivation, it is because he loves the unit and the critters that live there. Most of us have a favorite unit, few if any of us spend as much time and effort working on behalf of it as Steve does in 13B. To all the people playing the ?I was just asking questions card?, in most cases the questions were thinly veiled attempts to figure out ?whats in it for me?. Newsflash?Steves study isn't a scholarship program for deer scouting or a big deer information newsgroup. If you are one of the people that asked the ?whats in it for me? questions you aren't the kind of person Steve was looking for anyway.

As for all the people that advocate working with the guides to obtain the water utilization information, 13B is a unit where guides make big dollars finding big deer. In order for Steve?s study to be valid he needs ALL the data, not just the data the guides are willing to share. We all know predators are also an issue, paying a truckload of rednecks to kill some dogs would help things but would be difficult to measure the impacts with any degree of precision. Steve?s water hole study will at least validate some assumptions that game and fish uses to try to justify dollars allocated to species specific water projects. I would imagine some of the learnings could be applied to units other than unit 13B, maybe even YOUR FAVORITE UNIT.

I have found that most highly successful hunters are nice guys that are also willing to invest some of their personal time to maintain the resource. The good people that work for wildlife are generally smart enough to recognize the information parasites long before the parasites get anything worthwhile. If you are a good guy, help Steve and his study with some time or equipment. If you are a parasite, give it up, the 13B tag gods probably wont bless you anyway (and Steve wont tolerate your BS if they do). Steve is one of the good guys.

Ryan K

i guess since i asked a question i am of the thick skulled type.... hmmm..

FYI,

1. I am not a guide
2. I don't work for game and fish
3. I more than likely won't kill any animals in az. over the next several yrs.
4. I as well as my friends have spent tons of time in the field "collecting data" for the betterment of az. wilflife (fixing drinkers, filling drinkers, notifying azgfd/elk and deer societies drinkers are bone dry and need water, etc.

Even with all the "credentials" i don't think it would fly to come on mm.com and ask for donations to support my "study" w/o identifying the purpose of it. It doesn't take a conspiracy theorists to see the problems here. The reasons for questions are because steve et al. have still not explained the purpose of study associated with outcomes, ie. what is he going to do with the data, why spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to verify something we already know to be true, what if any benefit will the wildlife have up there once the study has been completed, what are the short/long term goals of this study, what is the true motivation (besided steve loves wildlife) of this study, etc.? There is nothing in this study for me as it has been described. You're missing the whole point of question/discussion period. When hundreds of thousands of dollars are to be spent of peoples tax dollars, they deserve logical answers. Not, we love wildlife. Yeah, so do I and many others. However, I might not be one of the "good guys" according to javi et al. What a joke.

There is not clear plan or accountability for this study and those involved go calling people out for asking a few well deserved questions.

I promise if one of the thousand other "good guys" asked for monetary donations via mm.com they would get the same questions. Not a hard thing to understand.

Gentlemen;

I would like to thank;

BURA NUT
TAGATTRACTER
Longhorns 26
WETMULE
JAVIHAMMER

for their support, it was really quite embarassing.

Kolob 2034, You know the strip, and have spent you time helping with the predator problem, and I thank you very much.

I'm sure there are others that haven't written a comment, but would like to know more about what we are doing.
For those and any one else who has questions, I am listing my e-mail and phone number.

Steve Cheuvront
480-994-4029
[email protected]

I did not start the post, but thank BURA NUT for his valiant
effort to help me.

With that, I will say no more, or play any more debate games.

Steve Cheuvront

If I was to donate some money to help in this spectacular project for you to purchase some equipment, would I then have the opportunity to get the equipment back after the study? Would it be donated the the AZGFD to help in the continued efforts of stopping poaching and other criminal offenses, or would you as a group keep these to start studies in other area's? If this is a one time study and you keep the equipment, then are you not being paid for your services, just in the form of equipment?
I do hunt the strip, place about 35 cameras each year, and I still have no problem with what you are trying to attempt, but I would gladly give you all of my information. I would say that 90% of all dirt tanks on the strip have been made for cattle, not deer, but the deer benefit, and out of all my pictures from wildlife drinkers I would say that I have seen maybe one cow inside the fence, and she was about to choke to death.
You also mention about a dozen volunteers to help in this, are they willing to say that the information they gather will not influence them into hunting or putting in for the strip for a deer tag, and if they draw they will sign the tag over to me? I like this idea.

I rarely reply to any thread the second time and you can see by my number of posts that I mostly lurk. One of my favorite generals of WWII was General George Patton. It was Patton who said,"If we are all thinking the same,then no one is thinking." I find it sad day and age when a person can't ask a question without being labeled a conspiricy theorist. Pehaps you subscribe to the aciddental view of history. Is it so wrong that others believe things happen for a reason? One day many years ago I met up with Harley Shaw (AZ G&F) in the North end of Hidden canyon. He was doing a lion study and wanted to know if I knew of any fresh sign. We spent the rest of the day together and I showed him five different sets of lion tracks that I knew of in the area. This was when he was doing the track tracings by placing a piece of glass over a front and rear track and making a tracing of the track. By measuring the dimensions of the track and the length of the stride he felt he had done enough of these that he could come close to being able to age the lion that had made the track. He later sent me his field guide books on lions and bears. On the inside cover of the lion book he wrote me a letter thanking me for my time and stating that he wished he could teach his biologists to see through the eyes of a trapper. This was one of my prized possessions but my wife thought it would be a good way to hurt me and threw all of my trapping and wildlife books away just before serving me with divorce papers. In closing for the uniformed a lactating ##### refers to a female coyote that is feeding a batch of young pups. It is proven that they do the most damage to fawn populations when they are feeding their pups in the spring of the year.

So who doesn't like a little friendly discussion about our favorite deer hunting areas in northern Arizona?

Steve and I have had a long talk about this project and I, like some other folks on this forum asked for answers to a number of questions.

Bottom line here is just what do you hope will be accomplished by this "study"?

How you going to save thousands of dollars for sportsmen?

I wonder why aren't you working with the BLM folks in St. George IF you got water issues with a few permittees? Document the problems and get a hold of those BLM guys and see if issues--when they are identified--can be resolved at that level before we take this out for the public to look at.

I have been fortunate in the past to see what several of the permittees up in the north end on Black Rock have done. I can tell you that Darryl Blake and his brother Ron have done a lot for wildlife and here is an example..

I watched as Darryl trucked up that nasty Black Rock road with 5,000 gallons of water in an old 54 Ford (I think) water truck and emptied it into galvanized drinkers up top where thirsty cows and yes mule deer were waiting. He never got a nickel for those efforts, and didn't ask for any. I guarantee that year if Darryl hadn't been hauling water up there, wildlife would have suffered big time. The G&F drinker just 3/4 mile away was not working and wildlife had no place to drink except at the places where Darryl was putting out water!

Darryl and Ron have always been friendly and have never denied me or anyone else I know permission to go hunt on their private lands.

Where do you think that G&F put the experimental turkey transplants on Black Rock? They were put out on Blake's private lands where permanent WATER was located! (Black Rock Spring and the pond by his summer camp on top of Black Rock Mtn)

I am concerned that this study will do more harm that good when it comes to the relationships that have been built with the livestock operators on the Strip. The way this is playing out waters of all the permittees will be under scutiny! Why single out everybody if you have issues with one or two permittees?

Steve spoke of seeing 1,000 cattle at a water and just six deer.

Guys, I don't think there is one permittee up there that has 1,000 cows in ONE pasture.

Could his camera have taken 1,000 pictures of cattle that came to a drinker? Sure, but it was probably the same 100-200 or so that came in day after day. And if only six deer showed, so what? To those deer the water being there was very important.

Now I don't want to get into any pi$$ing matches with anyone over this project especially Steve, who I consider to be a friend!

But everyone ought to read the co-op agreements to see just what language is in there and know what was and was not required on each one of them.

Again, the BLM has them, and they sure as heck are open to public inspection.

Who do you think does most of the maintenance of the waters up there? Not G&F and not even BLM. Nope its the cowboys!

Steve and I spoke about several projects that he has identified as places where he feels sportsman money wasn't well spent. One is on the top of Black Rock and one is on the Twist Hills.

Steve questioned the need for them when other G&F waters were close by (one within 3/4 of a mile!)

Both of those have 80,000 gallon storage tanks, and I assure you both will hold water well after the old G&F drinkers in the area, one of which hasn't worked for years, will run out of water in drought years.

I've looked the data on what it cost to do each project, who paid for what, and can tell you I think I know what species benefits at each water.

Heck last year Steve himself told me about a 200 inch buck at that big Twist drinker that he had on camera, and had I seen that critter on the hunt, I would have owed him a couple of trail cams as compensation for that information!

I fully support a project that has some well defined objectives, and a way to accurately collect and analyze data collected.

But I for one am not sold on this project as it is being presented.

That is just my opinion.

If you feel after investigating all the facts that you want to donate to it, please go ahead.

We all want the best for the land and wildlife, no matter where it is, and I suspect we all have different ways we believe will accomplish that goal. (After water I like a lot of predator control!)

There is always two sides to these issues, and I and a few others, just want both sides discussed on this forum so that an informed decision can be made.

I just hope that the livestock guys up there don't take offense to this and we loose the good relations we have had with them for many, many years.

Hey guys we are both "endangered species". Those who don't want cows out there sure as heck don't want hunters out there either.

We need to work together as partners or eventually we'll BOTH be tossed off of public lands!

Lastly, there is no doubt in my mind that Steve is doing what he absolutely believes is the right thing to do.

We don't always agree on issues, and this unfortunately is going to be one of them.

Steve is like me in a number of ways, he is hard headed, and says what he believes.

So be it.

I'll always consider Cheuvront a friend and a supporter of sound wildlife management in Arizona.

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

6687az_strip_mtn_lion_2009.jpg

Don, I appreciate you being candid. It seems many times as hunters/outdoorsmen we end up bickering over issues with no resolution. I think one of the major benefits of this study will be providing data that will help in future allocation of funds from the ADA. I also believe that since we already spent the money on the tanks, we are somewhat crying over spilled milk yet we have learned for the future to involve the ranching community prior to project approval. Overall, ADA has supported this project for various reasons and Steve has stepped up to the plate to run with it, so whomever feels inclined to kick in a few dollars so be it........... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

I know I have offered Metal sheets 3' wide and up to 20' ft long(in large lots)to be used for making catch basin's for catching water and then they funnel water in troughes that then funnel the water into tanks, so that guzzlers would be able to have water in them year around. But only one group took me up on that offer and it was Don and his group. They took a whole trailer load of it about 6000 lbs of it.
To me this is one of the quick ways to build a water source,(you lay them sheets on a slope and put the trough at the bottom to catch the water and have it flow into a tank and then to a small guzzler) I'm still willing to donate Sheets for this reason, Now if you can get some pipe and tanks you are over half way there.

I understand the wanting to know how many deer are using each water source, I would rather know that there is more water sources then there are deer using them, Because if you have water you can have deer, Ranchers know this and it why they have with their own money build water sources for their cattle and the local deer is just a benefit of that, Now if you can get the F&G and BLM to let you build water source on their land you are doing something to benefit all those deer and cattle.

The first step in helping deer is hunting the predators that hunt them you take out half predators you will save deer,Not that hard to figure that one out, you add that to building water sources now you have a winning idea. Take it a step further and do some chaining or burns.

Now if you are willing to do that I'm willing to donate.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

WOW!!! I just got around to reading this. Pretty good, I see all sides...........I think.

This comes down to 1 specific word. Donation. Much like the word volunteer. I really do not see the naysayers offering or anteing up their own studies or projects. Much less pulling out of their own pockets.

Quite simply- if you want to help with this project do it, if not then don't, case solved. If you want to donate- donate, if you don't- then don't.

No need to make this another bubbas type of argument

Travis;

This issue is pretty much a dead issue.

The folks who didn't understand it, riped it apart from every side.

By the way, this is how I plan to gather the information I need to fairly split the proposal funds requested. I will also be able to show how many deer we really have, and we will make a point with facts, to give credit to the ranchers who have made the strip and else where what they are today.

Steve

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom