Who has any experiences with a 257 Roberts?

T

tsquared

I am looking for any info good or bad using a 257 Roberts. From what I have heard its a decent caliber. But don't know much about them. If you can help me out I would appreciate it.

My wife has a .257 Ackley which is a Roberts case with the shoulder blown forward by fire forming. Either version is an excellent deer/antelope round. I would not hesitate to tackle cow elk or even a bull at short to medium range if the shot could be placed behind the shoulder. I have not done it but know of guys who have used the round on black bears with good results. Recoil is low and since powder volume is lower than larger rounds it is cheaper to load. Best bullet weights are 100 to 120 grains. I have gone to shooting 120 grain bullet exclusively, most often a Sierra Spitzer Boattail. An Accubond would be another excellent choice. Deer very seldom go more than a few steps. They usually go down faster than the same behind the shoulder hit with my &mm Rem. Mag.

Yep! That's the caliber Jack OConnor's wife, Eleanor, used on most everything she shot when hunting with him. If that's the case, you know it has to be a good one.

I traded a bow for the gun so my daughter had a good gun that can tackle most of the animals that NM has to offer. If she loses interest in hunting I was thinking I could use it for yotes too. I did research online about it. But wanted some real advice on the gun. My daughter is doing her hunter safety this weekend and wants to put in for deer and elk.

The 257 Roberts is a wonderful cartridge. Killed deer, wild hogs, and lots of coyotes with one. Should be a great gun for your daughter.

Absolutely! Great little round, as those above have mentioned. I learned to shoot centerfires on my dad's Roberts (his own first big game rifle) starting at 8 years old. The law in NM back then didn't allow anyone to hunt big game until they were 12, and by that time I'd 'graduated' to a 7x57 Mauser (which incidentally was Mrs. Oconnor's other pet round for 'larger' game) that my Grandfather had given me, as I'd had elk on my mind since I was in diapers...my little brother ended up in possession of the .257

Great youth cartridge, ideal for muleys on down...maybe a bit marginal for elk, but a well placed stongly constructed bullet should do the job just fine.

Anyway, Good Luck & Have fun!

If I were to use the gun for coyote hunting what would be the farthest you all would shoot at a yote at? I know getting use to the gun and practicing is a key thing. But would 300-400 yrds be do able? Just a few things going through my mind. Thanks

I have been shooting and reloading for the "Bob" since 1982. The .257 is enough gun for anything up to around 500 pounds at normal ranges. It will knock off coyotes as far as you could likely shoot. I whacked a javelina years back at over 600 yds using a 117gr Sierra BT. I am currently loading the 110 Nosler Accubond to 3050 fps with Reloder 22 powder. While its a bit over kill for yotes, if you're not looking to preserve hides it will do very well, and it is a great load for deer and such. If your rifle is a good, strong, modern bolt action you should be able to increase performance over factory ballistics by a large margin.

If you reload try Hornady 75 gr V-Max bullets. Might not be the best choice if you are saving pelts, but they will do a number on a yote.

I am not keeping the hides. I just need a reach out and touch them round. Maybe 100 grain would be a good all around bullet?

I have four 3 remington 1 browning.
Killed everything from prarie dogs to elk.
As stated within reasonable range and placement of the shot.
I load all except one with the 100 grn Nosler Partion.
One I load the the 85 grn Ballistic Silvertip.
This has always been a favorite round.
If you you would like load data PM me, my brother shoots a bob too and is more versed on differnt loading data.
Thank You
Rick

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom