Who's a Lifetime License Holder?

Founder

Founder Since 1999
So, who else on the site here is a Lifetime License holder here in Utah? Also, any solid information on how they're going to treat Lifetime License holders with the new tag numbers. I saw someone say that we would just pick our unit as we do now. That will be nice, because within a couple years there will be standout units that are better than others I think.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I have a lifetime license. The only solid info I have is from the sept work meeting with the DWR and wildlife board. They discussed lifetime hunters when they were talking about the different options proposed. According to the DWR, there is around 4200 licences left with about 3500 requesting a tag for 2010. They had no reason why 700 hunters were not opting for a tag. The 3500 hunters were (in the past) fairly evenly distributed among regions . As of the time of that meeting lifetime hunters would still get the tag and unit of choice.The comment was made that the number of lifetime holders will only get smaller. With a bit of laughter .

"The comment was made that the number of lifetime holders will only get smaller. With a bit of laughter."
Geeezzz, should we be watching our backs?? LOL I guess most Lifetime License holders are old, except me, I'm young dang it!!!

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I would bet that most lifetime license holder's are 50 or older. I purchased my son a lifetime license when he was under 5 years old for his birthday one year. My wife thought it was the dumbest thing I could have ever done. She kept asking me what happens if Cody chooses to never hunt, and I told her the reason I got him the license is that the Division needed the money and I would look upon it at it as a donation, if that ended up being the case. He's now 28 and I am sure one of the younger lifetime license holders.

One needs to remember that when lifetime licenses were offered, very few people purchased them as they were too expensive and most did not want to make the investment. I can't recall the first year they began selling them, but it was sometime in the late 70's or early 80's I believe.

Once Don Peay organized the meeting on the state capitol and got the tags numbers reduced from unlimited down to 97,000 permit cap, hunters flocked to the Division to purchase a lifetime license. During that short time frame (from the time they announced the tag reduction, to the time they ended the lifetime license sales, which was only weeks long, they sold more lifetime license during that period than they did in its prior existence.

I bought mine within the first 150 sold and years later purchased my son his, and during those years only about 1000 more lifetime tags were sold.

It would be interesting too to know the age of those that post they have a license. I am 70, so according to the law of averages, I shouldn't be in the game much longer. And I bet a good number of those not requesting permits are hunters whose health or age just don't make it possible anymore.

Have a good one. BB

My little brother was in the Air Force living out of state at the time of the mad rush to buy the lifetime tags. He may have been the last one to get one . He had to fight with the DWR over residency and had to get the atorney general involved. His license was issued after sales were closed. Mine was under 2000 his was over 5000. Im 50 , Hes 43 and another brother who has one is 49. There known as Pruney and Conch om MM.

There are 5 of us that bought them,,, 4 of us are about 58 years old and 1 of the guys bought his son one and he is about 30 years old.

I purchased mine 2 days before sales were discontinued. My number is just under 3300 and I'm 43.

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.

Thomas Jefferson

My entire family has one....oldest being 52 the youngest being 19. They had to name my sister in order to get her name on the tag. Fortunately, my dad had some fore site on the tags and took care of us all....buying one for me when I was so young was a risk he was willing to take, and it paid off.

There is current discussion about making the licenses transferable to family members. I think that's a great idea. Some of you more mature hunters would have the opportunity to pass on your hunting privileged. :) My only issue is I have a husband and two sons....which one gets it?

My Grandpa shot a buck at 92. So, I've got nearly 50 years left! I bought mine in the last days of February, 1994. I couldn't afford it then but I knew I wanted to hunt and fish. I'm the same today. I don't care about inches, Boone and Crock, SCI. I don't subscribe to the trophy mags, or have a sticker in my back window. I just want to hunt, and I sure hope the trust we LL holder put in the DWR is honored for life.

I am 32 and am so grateful that my uncle suggested I save my lawn mowing money and buy a lifetime license. My uncle is 53 and also has one. My dad did not see the value at the time so he missed out. I also have a neighbor that bought one for himself and his very young son. His son is now 25 or so and still hunts, but not as much as his dad.

borntohunt

>I have a lifetime license. The
>only solid info I have
>is from the sept work
>meeting with the DWR and
>wildlife board. They discussed lifetime
>hunters when they were talking
>about the different options proposed.
>According to the DWR, there
>is around 4200 licences left
>with about 3500 requesting a
>tag for 2010. They had
>no reason why 700 hunters
>were not opting for a
>tag. The 3500 hunters were
>(in the past) fairly evenly
>distributed among regions . As
>of the time of that
>meeting lifetime hunters would still
>get the tag and unit
>of choice.The comment was made
>that the number of lifetime
>holders will only get smaller.
>With a bit of laughter
>.

Some of those 700 may be Dedicated hunters. You forfeit your lifetime privileges for three years when you join the DH program...

------------------------------------------------------
"So... Now you got a little taste of what I do...pretty dang exciting, eh?"

LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-10 AT 08:28PM (MST)[p]
It's a bunch of BS!! The reason my dad didn't buy him and I a lifetime license was the DWR said that they wouldn't guaranty a tag every year in the future and especially if they went to the 5 region plan. Well we have 5 regions and they get to pick the unit. Now we are going to 29 and they still get to pick a unit. That is BS the best units may have all the tags go to lifetime license holders.

If you want a tag every year a throw away unit should be made and if a Liftime license holder would get that unit if no other tag was drawn.

"A throw away unit".......you're funny and you probably didn't even know it. I've been chuckling about that for 5 minutes.........a throw away unit......

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

BAHAHAHAHAH wow.....bitter much? A Throw Away unit....hahahahahahaha I wonder who will get to pick which unit that will be......

im 26 and have one.... and i wouldnt trade it for anything in this world greatest thing my pops has ever givin me

THE A TEAM

Mine has long since paid for itself. Thanks Dad . My grandpa has one he is 77 and killed a sweet buck this year. Unfortunately he has Parkinsons and this will probably be his last year hunting . It would be cool if he could transfer it to my younger brother the only member of my family that didn't get one. Are there any guarantees we will get a tag or can they simply do away with them if they please?

There are three in my immediate family, Myself(39), Bro in law(40) and my dad(67). BTW, thanks Dad! best gift ever.

The 3 of us entered into a binding contract with the DWR, NOT a temporary agreement that terms may change "when it's no longer financially beneficial, or the whiners complaining it's not fair".

and ah, Roadless, sorry to hear you missed out by a lack of understanding/communication between your dad and the DWR.
Whomever told you life's fair, lied to you. not everyone gets a trophy to admire on the nightstand or to hang over the fireplace.

Thank you Dad! My Dad (would be 66 now), two brothers (29 and 38) and I (32) all got lifetime licenses before the stopped selling them. It was a ton of money for us at the time and we all scraped everything we could from doing paper routes, to other odd jobs and my parents scraped as much as they could and had to get a little loan for the rest. My dad was so determined to help us that he risked a lot. I am so grateful that we were able to make it happen. He also told a few of our friends and their parents and they got them too. Of us four and about 10 other friends that got them, Ibet this year less than half of us put in for our tags. Several of them don't hunt deer, but they were realized what a good deal it was and went ahead and bought them anyway. No regrets from any of us for sure! Thanks again, Pops!

I am also 26 and have one. When they were for sale my Dad came to me and said. I will buy a truck when you are 16 or this lifetime hunting license now for $500. The age I was then I was already into hunting big time so I took the license. Thank god. Not sure what will happen in the future with the unit to unit hunting.

I also got one. Got one for my dad, Brother, Sister when I went to pick it up. About the last week they were for sale. Called 2 friends and they bought them also. Just have to wait and see what they do with us. Had to borrow the money to do it but never regreted it. My wife was really wondering about me at the time though.

I was a POOR college student, and didnt have $500... So I pawned some of my guns, bought the license, and slowly got my guns out of pawn. One of the only great financial decisions of my life. lol!
I, like Founder, have been in the DH program from the beginning as well.

------------------------------------------------------
"So... Now you got a little taste of what I do...pretty dang exciting, eh?"

Well!

I don't gots one!

I understand there are 3500 people that do though!

They will basically take the best of the 29 Units!

But that be OK!

At least I'll know where some of the Pumpkins are at during season!:D

God is Great!
Life is Good!
And People are Crazy!
I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!
And a good BBQ!
I am Medicine And I am Poison!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-10 AT 08:43PM (MST)[p]So 3500 active license holders. 80,000 total tags less than 5%. I have heard numerous comments from Lifetime License holders that they will put in on units where they can hunt with their kids. I don't really see where it will be a major problem. Hopefully Lifetime License holder will be able to hunt the units they love to hunt. They made the jump to buy the tag to protect that right. They deserve to keep that right. We have 5 in our family 63,44,38,33,31

I'm in that boat your talking about bragabit. I will put in on units where I can hunt with my kids. But I will also reserve a year or so when I can hunt some more remote country on my own.

It's always an adventure!!!

Best thing I ever bought... I'm in the first 200 with the number.. It cost me 2,000 golf balls retrieved from the cow pasture.. the Bull liked me.. hated golfers... haha.

I was also irritated when the idiot said our numbers were dropping... Regardless of being Disabled... how life changes.. I was healthly when I got the Liftetime License when it was first offered.. I can't get the hunt out of my blood.. now I want to hunt a Desert Bighorn.. should have put in for points when I was young and healthy... hindsight.

Destiny

This post is like putting salt on an old wound. Thanks for the reminder of a past mistake. :) If only I had.....

My dad and I each bought lifetime licenses a couple hours before the cut off. Best money ever spent. Dad is 59 and I am 38. Dad's knees are pretty shot right now, so his days will be numbered. I can see where they DWR believes the lifetime licenses holders are decreasing.

As I stated in another post a friend 56? and my brother 49 have passed, cancer & ALS. My brothers widow 45 has not hunted the last few years with out him. At 44 I'm glad I don't have to buy a licence every year to put in for the draws or go fishing. I get a southern tag hunt with my dad if he can draw one or I trade for a northern if he buys one over the counter.
Maybe we lifetime tag holders should pick the same unit and manage it for trophy's amongst ourselves. What unit do we want to control????

I bought my Lifetime license two days before they stopped selling them 2/24/1994. I can honestly say that was probably the best $500 I have ever spent as it has paid for itself over and over again. I am now 41 years young and get the chance to hunt deer every year !!! I can remember they lady standing in line in front of me who was buying (four) Lifetime licenses for her and her husband and the two children, one of which was only six months old.

I have one ! I am 47 years young. My brother has one (42) and my dad has one (74)
I wish I had bought two for my young boys at the time. I changed my mind at the the last minute. Wish I would have know, oh well.

I Got One (37). Brother got one (36), Other brother got one (30), and dad who took out a loan has one(62). It took a lot of time at $3.75 an hour to pay back that $500 but it was worth it.....

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom