Why no Wasatch late rifle Elk hunt?

oilcan

Long Time Member
Just curious if any one knew why there is not a Late rifle Elk hunt on the Wasatch ?It looks like most of the Limited Entry units have it any one with any ideas?
Oilcan

Prolly beacuse there won't be any left to hunt after all the extra tags they gave out this year. Lol

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

If I remember right, they closed the late hunts on the Wasatch and the Nebo because the hunters were being very successful with the older class bulls. Too successful.

CS

"Helping turn good tags, into great ones." - www.vipoptics.com

Kind of a weird deal for sure. I've heard a couple of rumors why.

The hunt was too visible so to speak-a lot of bulls were shot close to roads, houses, golf courses, etc... There were quite a few upset "city folks."

From the DWR's elk management stance it doesn't make much sense. It was the best hunt on the unit. Just like it's the best hunt on most units.

If they still had it, it'd definitely be worth puttin in for.

Might even make a Wasatch conservation tag worth the money they're going for. I hope they bring it back.

there is a reason for the closure and it is exactly what cowslayer said to easy of a hunt literaly these elk are probably some of the easiest to pattern during the late season it was a slaughter on the big bulls the years this hunt was available i am glad it is gone

>Kind of a weird deal for
>sure. I've heard a couple
>of rumors why.
>
>The hunt was too visible so
>to speak-a lot of bulls
>were shot close to roads,
>houses, golf courses, etc... There
>were quite a few upset
>"city folks."
>
>From the DWR's elk management stance
>it doesn't make much sense.
>It was the best hunt
>on the unit. Just like
>it's the best hunt on
>most units.
>
>If they still had it, it'd
>definitely be worth puttin in
>for.
>
>Might even make a Wasatch conservation
>tag worth the money they're
>going for. I hope they
>bring it back.

nice post also one of the reasons why the wasatch tag was a good tag to have last year the quality was up

I figured that was the reason although i didn't realize they had a late hunt at one time.

I think we'll still see a few good bulls come off the Wasatch this year, there's a few good ones up there brewing up some good looking headgear with all the moisture we've had ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Good to hear there's some good growth going on. I know a lot of guys with tags this year-a lot more than usual. The tag increases are starting to move a bunch more people through the system.

"The tag increases are starting to move a bunch more people through the system".
Prism I can't say what effect the tag increases will have on the herds but for me personally it should mean an Elk tag in hand in the near future.

I think it's safe to say that as tags increase quality is going to decrease. There's been a noted decrease in quality bulls in the units that have seen huge tag increases the last few years-like the Wasatch, Dutton, etc.

Sure there's always going to be a chance of a monster (just like there's always a chance of finding a big buck in Utah), but it's not going to be like it was or could be.

Hopefully you'll draw sooner than later.

Yah, you boys hurry up and draw so I can get back in there after the "5 year plan" and shoot me a 280 class bull. I love the Wasatch unit. It's the only place I really love to hunt elk but you're foolin yourself if you think that the number of tags they give out on the Wasatch anymore has no affect on the size and quality of bulls you see. I have seen a steady decline over the last 5 years. Like Prism said, there are still a few big bulls out there, but you're going to have to hunt your butt off to get em. I know for a fact there is still at least one out there because I have his sheds.

It's always an adventure!!!
www.awholelottabull.com

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom