Wildlife Board Meeting Today

adamsoa

Did anyone listen to the WBM today? I wanted to see how their votes on the tag numbers and plans turned out.

respect my authorita

DWR bucks and bulls recommendations were adopted except for 2000 additional tags were cut from the NE general buck deer hunt, 50 less BC deer tags and no spike hunting on the BC.

DWR antler-less recommendations were adopted and they talked about doing test transplants and studies in the SE region. Karp's comment was (paraphrase) that Utah has done 6 transplants, none of them worked nor does he know of any mule deer transplants that have worked.

That's it in a nut shell, at least the part my over-coffeefied brain comprehended.

http://unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Was that 2000 in addition to the other 2000 for a total of 4000 tags. Or was it only 2000 total?

That pretty much sucks for those who put in for the NE deer hunt this year if they cut 4000 tags this late in the game. It would have been nice to know they were going to cut 30% of the tags before you put in this year.

Thats way too many tags to cut this long after the application period. I'd heard there were some guys in the area belonging to an organization that were floating the idea. Glad it happened with NO other public input.

If they are going to have cuts this deep they need to have the numbers out BEFORE they have an application period.

I love the Wildlife Board!!!

respect my authorita

Hey Andy?

Remember them other 4 Choice Boxes?

We might have to start using them!

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Hey bop, I hear ya. I'm just bicthen because it pisses me off that they cut a third of the tags right before the draw. They should have some sort of clue about this before they have the application. Makes a big difference on where you apply.
I'm also feeling hostile about a group QUIETLY having a survey in the basin about 2000 more cut tags with no other public comment or notice and "presto" its passed. Seems like they wanted to be underhanded about the whole process.

That guy we had lunch with told me yesterday in one of his group meetings for my fav group they were floating this idea for an additional 2000 tag cut. He was worried it would go through. I told him it couldn't happen. The numbers weren't that low and there wasn't any pub lic comment and the DWR hadn't recommended it.

Guess I thought wrong

respect my authorita

Hey FUDD!

Don't know exactly when they Draw?

Results are suppose to be out towards the end of the Month!

I suspect the Credit Card hits will start in about a week or so?

The DWR proposed dropping Northeast permits to 11,000 and then a new conservation group that represented the Uinta Basin chapters of MDF, REMF, SFW, and SCI came on the scene and recommended dropping it to 9,000. They came to the Northeastern RAC and made that recommendation to the RAC. The northeast RAC voted in favor of dropping permits to 9000. It came up today at the Board meeting and the Board voted in favor of the 9000 permits. There are going to be a lot of people that don't get tags for the NER this fall. For the last couple years it has been 13,000 and draw odds had started dropping below 100%. Now, there will probably be a lot of people that don't draw (4000+).

I was there and I didn't think they eliminated the spike hunt in the Book Cliffs. I thought the only things they did differently from the DWR's recs for bucks and bulls was the reduction in NER general season deer tag #'s and a 50 tag reduction for the Book Cliffs LE deer hunt. I left before it was over though so maybe they went back to it?

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

i would bet you could not find 9000 deer total in ne unit including bucks and does .SHOULD JUST CLOSE IT 3 YEARS.

Well why!

No Doubt the NE Region needs some fixin!

Problem I've seen with closing a Unit over the years is they'd let them 13,000 hunters go hunt somewhere else that is already in trouble & Thrash other Units!

With proper management there should have never ever had to be a Closure anywhere in the State,but with PISS POOR MANAGEMENT.......................ah!

Near 40 years now of POOR MANAGEMENT & Suffering Deer Herds here in TARDville,will it ever change?

I sure hope the eliminated the spike elk hunting on the books. Lots of cows and not enough mature bulls out there IMHO. I saw a couple herds last year with out any mature bulls around them in the middle of the rut...Saw way too many raghorns trying to be herd bulls as well.

>i would bet you could not
>find 9000 deer total in
>ne unit including bucks and
>does .SHOULD JUST CLOSE IT
>3 YEARS.

I'll take you up on that bet! No doubt numbers are down but I will dare say they just cut their legs out from under themselves...

The Northeastern wildlife co-allition is a JOKE!!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-09-11 AT 03:23PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-09-11 AT 03:20?PM (MST)

Adamsoa -
The way I understood it, is that there was only one guy at the the Northeast RAC who represented the new statewide group "Utah Wildlife Cooperative" that spoke out against the tag cuts for the Northeast Region. As the April RAC's were the meetings that buck and bull permit #'s were being discussed, and since it was on the agenda to cut deer tags, it would seem that more people (like yourself and your friends) would have attended the RAC's to speak out against the tag cuts. There was public comment taken on the tag cuts! It was at the last round of RAC meetings and the Board meeting last week. If you are upset about tags being cut, then why didn't you attend the meeting/meetings and voice your opposition? I hope this gets you fired up enough to start attending the meetings and voice your opposition and/or your opinion on how you think things should be done. Like I said, there was hardly any opposition at the meetings to the tag cuts. I believe if there was as much opposition expressed on these tag cuts as there was last November, then the RAC and Board likely would have only approved the 2,000 DWR tag cuts instead of the 4,000. In my opinion, you can't complain if you never did a thing to stop it.

Also, the Board did not approve the Northeast RAC's recommendation to end spike hunting in the Book Cliffs. Spike hunting in the Books will continue.

Real f'n Smart!

Spike Hunts in LE Units!

GEEZUS!

Shouldn't have to be anybody Present to know that's the Stupidest Shhit anybody could possibly Dream up!

Dose anyone know how the cut in the BC deer tags were aloted?

How many were rifle, archery and muzzy?

I am hanging right near the cut line for archery deer.

LAST EDITED ON May-09-11 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]The distribution of the tag cuts among weapon types for the Book Cliffs was not decided at the RAC or the Board meeting. It was just an across the board cut of 50 tags for the Book Cliffs. My guess is that they will take the percentage that is currently allotted to archery, rifle, and muzz, and then apply that same percentage to the 50 tag cuts among the weapon types. Now thats just my guess. That would be a question for the Division.

On LE deer units 20% of tags go to archery, 20% to muzz, and 60% to rifle. To figure out how many permits there will be now, look at the DWR recommendations and add up the total number of permits, subtract 50, and then apply the % break downs for each weapon type.

Dax

There is no such thing as a sure thing in trophy mule deer hunting.

Thanks for the update Rackster. That is too bad on the spike hunt news, there are not near enough bulls out on the books right now and the bull to cow ratio has to be way out of wack. I saw hundreds of cows, but not very many bulls in the three weeks I spent out there last August and September. Killing the spikes is just killing future big bulls.

Anyone been out looking at the winter grounds to confirm what I noticed last year?

Rackster,

I cut and pasted the below direclty from the RAC minutes on the UDWR's website. Why didn't they just say "WE DON'T SUPPORT ANY TAG REDUCTIONS???

Kenny Mair: (United Wildlife Cooperative): We are a new group that started two months ago. We already have a membership of almost 1000 members. We acknowledge the workshops and outreach the Division has been doing to promote education and reduce
apathy among the public.
- Oppose all management strategies that support managing Utah?s general deer herds to an 18/100 buck/doe ratio
- Would like the Division and Board to reconvene and readdress the direction of the mule deer management in Utah, to (1) grow more deer, and (2) to maximize opportunity on general units
- If buck/doe ratio won't be changed, would like some of the lost rifle tags moved to primitive weapons seasons

Tworay,

Thats a good question. I don't recall everything from the Meeting, but I think Kenny actually did make the statement that they were not in support of the tag reductions. Sometimes the meeting minutes don't capture all the dialogue of the RAC meeting. When the audio is posted to the web you can listen to that to get the whole dialogue. However Kenny worded it, I think he did get the point across that they were not in support of the tag reductions. As I stated earlier, other than his comments there was no other opposition to the tag reductions at the RAC meeting. On the other hand, there was a lot of support at the RAC for the tag reductions.

agreed my uncle retired from fish duck 20years ago early. because all they wanted to do is manage for money.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom