winchester 70

tractorred

Do you guys think the M 70 will go up in value? Have a new one don't know weather to shoot it or store it. Thanks for opinion.

Nope, shoot it! Use it for what it was made.
watermark.php

yotewalk.gif

Eric

I bet the 70 will be made again by someone. as far as value I doubt it will have much change because there's a trillion of them out there, it might bring the pre-64's back into the spot light though. my money would be on the wood stock German and Jap Weatherby's now that they quit production of the deluxe model, but I wouldn't count on a big increase as there's a bunch of Mark V's out there too.

I may have to eat my words on this one. I talked to a dealer friend of mine and there's a buying panic going on with controlled feed 70's. I doubt it will last long but I've been wrong before.

Huntindude,
I've noticed the same thing. I was shopping for a M70 before the closure was announced and then bam, the prices jumped. I did get one I was looking for at a Cabelas and they even commented on the buying spree/ I found a really nice pre-64 m70 in .270 with a good price on it. I may pick that one up too!

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

My guess is they will be back but it may take a little while to shake out.

I would hold steady and not bend to the panic buying.

>I may have to eat my
>words on this one. I
>talked to a dealer friend
>of mine and there's a
>buying panic going on with
>controlled feed 70's. I doubt
>it will last long but
>I've been wrong before.

I guess I got caught up in this a little...
A Camo Ultimate Shaddow jumped into my hands las' month... I hafta admit I thought about "no more made" a little, as I installed it in lay-away.
I had moral support from my "buddy" that day!
But no regrets, what a cool gun!
It's in .25 wssm, bin wanting a wssm fer a-while.
Oh... 'an I'm a newbie here, howdy fellers!

Saw a classic featherweight in .300WSM that still had the original tags on it and appeared new for $600 in a gunshop in Missoula. Likely a speculator...........

Elkabong, Have a question for you, Q: how do you like your .25 WSSM. I have tried to ask how people like the .25 WSSM but not many people have one. How does it shoot and what is the recoil like I here it is minimal. What round have you finalized on the 120 gr. PEP or the 110. Hope to here back we pick our .25 WSSM in 7 days. What scope did you mount. Any info would be great, Thanks, Kurt

Sorry to be so long in answering... I have had issues posting, thanks to computor problems...

Last weekend I finally got to shoot the gun, got the scope outta lay-away sunday, the 28th.
The action on this gun was...gravely, only way ta put it. My buddy Rimrock was working it with a little lapping compound, back 'an forth... when out pops a spent primer!! Wholly Crapp!
This is a BRAND NEW gun!
So we pulled the action outta the stock, found the guts, or anvile of the primer down in there.
Well... we cleaned it up, mounted the scope, bore-sited it... off to the desert to shoot it.
First shot, I get ready... we thought there might be issues with headspace...( in my mind's eye, I remember seeing Rim on the OTHER side of the truck fer that first shot! LOL!! )
Bang! It shot... but had to nearly beat the action open with a rock... shot it a few more times (store-bought factory Win ammo), same thing. I can't tell you how dissapointed I was...
Next big disapointment was when I went back into where I bought it, 'an the verbal abuse I took!
Anywho... gun's on it's way back to Winchester...
May never see it again...

"Bang! It shot... but had to nearly beat the action open with a rock... shot it a few more times (store-bought factory Win ammo), same thing. I can't tell you how dissapointed I was..."

To anyone that reads this...

DO NOT SHOOT RIFLES THAT HAVE ISSUES WITH THE BOLT OPENING THIS STIFF AFTER BEING FIRED (REGUARDLESS OF ITS FACTORY AMMO OR RELOADS), THIS IS AN INDICATION OF EXTREAM PRESSURE!!! YOU'RE LUCKY YOU'RE BUDDY WASN'T BEATING THE BOLT OUT OF YOUR FOREHEAD WITH A ROCK!!! I'm glad you weren't hurt!!!

Finding a primer in the action would have told me two things...

1) Its either not a new rifle and was returned to be sold again to an unsuspecting costomer, or that the people at Winchester sent it out and should be held accountable for thier actions. If during their test fire they blew a primer its should have gone back to the shop.

2) At the very least you should have taken it to a smith and have them check it out after finding the primer!

If the action was 'gravely' you should have disasembled and removed all the grit. I bought a Winchester about 6 months ago and it was the same way. Took a little cleaning, but after that it functioned fine and smooth.

Well... yup.
Not my first rodeo...
Action was alot better after the primer poped out.
It actually had some galding where the bolt rides.
It also was cleaned from hail to breakfast, bore was swabbed clean.
#1. When I suggested this to the retailer he swore this could not happen.
Based on the primer ring on the bolt face (I did not even look at the bolt before I bought the gun! I assumed it was new....)
I would say this gun was fired quite a bit at the factory, they knew it had a problem, somehow it ended up being shipped anyway.
Winchester will definatley be held accountable!
#2. I guess I could have found a gunsmith on a holliday weekend sunday to check the headspace... my bad there, I suppose, betwixed the two of us though, there is quite a bit of gun knowledge, didn't feel it was neccesary.

>Elkabong, Have a question for
>you, Q: how do you
>like your .25 WSSM.
>I have tried to ask
>how people like the .25
>WSSM but not many people
>have one. How does
>it shoot and what is
>the recoil like I here
>it is minimal. What
>round have you finalized on
>the 120 gr. PEP or
>the 110. Hope to
>here back we pick our
>.25 WSSM in 7 days.
> What scope did you
>mount. Any info would
>be great, Thanks, Kurt

By now you porbly have yer gun, so the tables are turned!
How do you like the .25?
I'm anxious to get mine back (if ever!)
I went with a VXII 4x12 40 scope, Warne Maxima rings 'an weaver style bases. Neat setup on the R&B's!
I have always used Leupold bases, so this is a departure.
I bought some 120g pep's fer testing... kicked like a mutha! hehehe...( headspace may have sumpin to do with this! )

Russ

Well Elk, Sorry to hear of your problem. Yes, we have gotten the .25 wssm and from what we have done at the range I will say we did not encounter any problems. We boresitted the rifle at 25 yards and shot 3 shots. Was hitting 1" low at 25 yards and close to dead nut. Now this rifle is my wifes so I let her take the first 3 shots and she had no problem with control or recoil. Her 1st shot at 100 yards was 1/4" high and dead nut. At first I thought she missed and was asking what target she shot at and she said the one in front of me. I was a little amazed in that I could not see the hole punched in the black bullseye of the target until I got out the spotting scope. Proceeded to shoot several more groups, and making minor adjustments, so at 100 yards we were getting about 2" groups. This is my wife shooting. So after the 1st box of 120 gr. PEP rounds I pulled another box of the same and now it was my turn to take a 3 shot turn. I got just a little better than my wife in that I was getting 1" groups. I am telling you great little gun so far. So out to 200 yards my wife shot 5 rounds. All with in 4 1/2 inches of center pushing a little to the right. Problably shooter pushing but still great groups. I took the last 3 shots at 200 and got about 2 1/2" group. A little low and with adjustments worked it right where we wnated it. It now is hitting about 1 1/2" high at 100 and dead on at 200. I will tell you that I am impressed with this little rifle. I thought the recoil was minimal. The Wife went throught about 30 rounds and the next day had no recoil bruising or pain. As we ended the last box of 120 gr. PEP I thought I would try some of the 110 Bullistic tips in it that we also had so see the difference in the grain, bullets, and accuracy. The outcome was that I did not like the Bullistic tips seemed that we were not getting consistent groups always had one stray shot. Seemed to be that third shot wes about 4 inches away from the others. Did not try the 85 gr. bullet yet that will be in the next trip to the range. So for now we like the 120 gr. PEP and will try the 85. But as an overall performance of our .25 wssm is AMAZING. As far as the scope we went with a Leupold 4x12 as well and decided to go with the lang Range Bullistic Plex. The one with the three 2 lower dots for 300 and 400 yards. Have yet to try out the 300 or 400 ranges because our range only goes to 200. Went with the Leupold mounts and rings in med. height. Make sure to get the ones that are made for the .25 wssm. We found them at Midway and ordered them on-line and they came in 3 days. Very nice time return on the shipping. Went with Cabelas for the scope had a gift card to use there so a no brainer. Heard the med ring height was better due to the clearance issue for some with the scope and bolt. As far as I am concerned a nice rifle. Ours came with the dura grip and the stock was camo and in stainless. Very sweet and sweet looking. Now the wife may accompany me on trip which in return relates to more time in the field. Even talked her into helping with the coyote control this summer and she is game. So lets hope no more nagging on time spent in the field because I hope she sees the dedication there needs to be for hunting "all year long" :). Let me know how your range experience goes and if I can help make suggestions. Kurt

Hey Tractorred! Sorry fer hijacking yer thread!

Chap, I've got the same gun (well... me 'an Winchester!) Camo/Dura/Stainless.
VERY anxious to get it back now 'an see if it performs as well as yours with factory ammo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom