Winter Boot Ideas?

Rumpot

Looking for the best boot for low temps. As I get older feet are getting colder. Need something for those single digit days. Any ideas out there? What are you folks wearing? Thanks for any help.

For us I associate cold weather with snow and for that reason pack boots work well for me.
Schnee's , Kenetrek, Hoffman etc. make good pac boots. Some heavier than others. I have an old pair of Lacrosse trappers that have been on more elk hunts than any other pair of boots I've owned.
The insulation today in mountain type boots is way above what it was a few years ago too. Crispi, Meindl, Lowa etc....
Probably lighter weight than pacs and plenty warm.

Any of the newer boots with 800g or so of insulation will work down in the single digits even if your feet get cold. Socks can make or break you also. The "full cushion" merino ones are what you want for winter if your boots have the room. I have some Kenetrek Mtn Extremes that are 400g and they work in anything below freezing down into single digits. Feet are very different in people, what is cold to some maybe not to others in the same boots. Also if your not walking far pack boots are heavy but can be great as suggested above. Another benefit of packs is you can remove the liners and dry them quickly. Just make sure to get them with aggressive tread on the bottom. Hot hands toe warmers can work wonders for a few hours also if you plan on hiking some then glassing for a while.

I just wear regular hunting boots, with good socks, when I am hiking.
For Ice Fishing, Goose hunting, and pushing snow, I switched over the rubber "Muck" type boots. I bought mine at sportsmans and cannot remember the brand.
I would look at different types of rubber insulated, slip-on boots. I have really liked mine.

Depends on the type of hunting. If you're not moving around a lot these are the only boots that will keep you warm. I've wore them in -30 no problem.

I have not seen these for years SS. Need to try these for ice fishing. As much as I like my current boots, my feet still get cold sometimes.

Depends on the type of hunting. If you're not moving around a lot these are the only boots that will keep you warm. I've wore them in -30 no problem.

dad always called them bunny boots. what he wore on the north slope. they work there they will work anywhere.

i wear the same boots year round. OR gators keep my feet plenty warm but cold doesn't affect me much

I have not seen these for years SS. Need to try these for ice fishing. As much as I like my current boots, my feet still get cold sometimes.
If you have problems finding them in your size PM your boot size and I can find them up here. They are perfect for ice fishing

dad always called them bunny boots. what he wore on the north slope. they work there they will work anywhere.

i wear the same boots year round. OR gators keep my feet plenty warm but cold doesn't affect me much
Yes sir bunny boots. They are awesome

I've been wearing these for 20 years. Warmest thing I've worn. They are light weight and work with any good boot. The biggest test was Saskatchewan December whitetail. -20 in a blind with no heater. Wore 400 gram Crispi boots and these over boots. Feet were golden. I've bought them for all my kids too. They are sized a little small so go up a size from what they recommend.

If you have problems finding them in your size PM your boot size and I can find them up here. They are perfect for ice fishing
Hey thanks SS! If I decide to get a pair, I will certainly do it. It looks as if the ones I found are a "Wide". Narrow is better for me.
I always thought the valve on the boots was interesting.

Thank you guys. Sounds like this is what I need. Thanks SS for the offer. If I have any troubles will get ahold of you.

I use to wear Danner Pronghorns for years. But as I got older and I live out west, Kenetreks had better traction on loose rocks and dirt. I use to slip allot with the Danners. Both are warm. Best of luck.

Some guys wore those in ND winter when I was up there building powerline. We called them Mickey Mouse boots. I had some Hoffman Packs, better for climbing poles. Good lord were they heavy though!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom