Wisconsin Help

worldking

Hi, I just moved to Wisconsin in April and will be hunting for my first time. One of my buddies from work is going to be taking me along with him and his family over by Black River Falls but from what I can gather, the outlook isn't too great. I am not really concerned about this year because I won't have time to bowhunt but I will next year and I would like to find a decent place to bowhunt as the season is much longer and the odds a bit higher, in my estimation. I live just west of Milwaukee and any help would be great. I am very new to the midwest, transplanted from Montana, and so I have no experience in this type of hunting. Anything would be a great help. Thanks for your time.

Matt

Matt,
Welcome to Wisconsin ! You'll love it. Our DNR says we have 1.8 million whitetails . Living just west of Milwaukee you're amoung the largest whitetails in the world. They kill several booners every year in Waukesha and surrounding counties. The trick is access. You'll have to knock on a lot of doors and get lucky to find a place close to home. There are some public lands within 50 miles of Milwaukee so perhaps you could find a honey hole there with some work. However, as you travel north public land becomes much more common. In fact the Black River area has tens of thousands of acres of public land which offers a quality bowhunt. While not known as a big buck area there are tons of deer. Farther north yet you have the Nicolet and chequamegon Nat'l forests. lower deer numbers [ we have wolves too ! ]but quality bucks. As you've stated, our Archery season is 4 months long so there are lots of opportunities. GOOD LUCK ! C.C.

Thanks for the tips, cc. I appreciate all the help that I can get. I am looking forward to getting out there and trying my hand.

Matt

Greg Miller from the North American Whitetail show on the Outdoor channel lives in Spooner near LaCrosse. This is in Buffalo county where some of the biggest whitetails come from nationally. High rocky bluff/ridges and river bottoms along the Mississippi. Not sure how easy to find a place to hunt though. Between all weapons and cars, WI will kill almost 500,000 deer annually. Many don't get past 2 1/2. If you are a hard core big buck hunter, get a Delorme book of WI and a Buffalo county map and look for places to hunt. Otherwise, you can kill deer every year no problem. Just don't expect monsters. Some nice ones can come from anywhere though. Most land in the south is farm land and not much public. Knock on some farmers doors. Nice part is most of the state you can use a rifle. Shotgun around Milwaukee. Since I started going out west hunting, I have not hunted WI since 2000. Good luck in a couple weeks. It's a great hunting state and welcome to PACKERLAND.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom