Wolf Harvest/Population

BPKHunter

Very Active Member
I was curious so I looked up some raw numbers and it looks like the harvest and population of wolves in Idaho has crested and now below peak numbers.

Looking at report from back in 2013 and then the most recent listed harvest stat's on IDFG website:

Estimated individual population seemed to grow steadily until 2008 where it peaked just over 850. Most recent report I saw for 2013 was about 660.

Harvest starting in 09, grew from ~175 in 09/10, and grew to a peak of 355 in 2013, then down to 302 last year and now 249 with a few weeks to go and likely litte change.

I myself have not seen a wolf in 3 years, but have been serenaded a few nights and seen the occassional track, usually a little farther from the main roads than prior to the first season opened in 09. From 06-09, I saw wolf tracks very regularly on the Middle Fork of the Boise in Nov-Feb, and in Unit 32 while Chukar Hunting.

I'm guessing at our current management pace we won't see overall population numbers go down a lot from here, but I think we'll have less sightings during the daylight and closer to population centers as the wolves are learning that man, and things related to man like roads and homes, is to be feared.

I'm not a wolf hater, but I buy a tag every year and wouldn't hesitate to shoot one. I know others feel different and respect that, but roughly 6 years into managment, I think we have seen some positive changes since just prior to the seasons opening. I think real credit needs to be given to the trappers, who seem to have the biggest impacts.

BPK you are right the trapping wolves has proven to be a very valuable management tool.
I have several friends with over twenty wolves each, they all rely on the support of a sportsmen's group called F4WM. $35 to become a member. F4WM now has over 500 supporting members. The only thing this group does is reimburse hunters and trappers the expenses involved in a wolf harvest between Dec 1 and March 31. this is very important for trappers checking gear every 72 hours in the back country.

Originating in the Panhandle Region, the program has now expanded State wide.

Endorsed by Idaho Fish and Game, and the Idaho Farm Bureau.

The website could use some help but check out f4wm.org

LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-15 AT 04:52PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jun-16-15 AT 04:50?PM (MST)

+1 For the f4wm. Great group of guys that are making a difference. They are having a banquet in July if anyone is interested. They are lots of fun, great raffles including a day with one of the better trappers around to learn from.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom