World Record New Mexico TAHR

H

headhunter33

Word is 2 monsters were taken after the big snow storm...
One may be the new world record...Pictures?

you partied way to hard on new years. ever watched that movie the hangover? now all you need is to figure out how to get back to new zealand.

There was one state record that was just broken, not sure about this one though... didn't think the snow would push them all the way down to the golf course! But, what a story if it is true...

www.streamflies.com

Hate to think the last few get killed off. I think it is pretty cool to have Tahr in the state. Guess those that matter do not agree.

dude you guys need to put down the bottle and sober up. we have tahr? did the snow in new zealand push them all the way across the ocean?

I knew about a small herd on Mt Taylor but that was several years ago and last I had heard they'd been pretty much exterminated...

See Wikipedia: Tahr in New Mexico. Quick search says they were introduced in New Mexico, California, and Ontario for hunting in safari parks.
Note: Cool to know, doubt I will ever need this knowledge though.

Someone knocks one down every few years, High fence operation with a downed fence back in the day is how they came to be on Mt. Taylor. I hunted them until I located them 2 years ago (3 animals), albeit on land that I could not hunt. Found them where you would least expect them. But for a fenceline I could have killed a BIG bull...still would have been sad killing the remnants of an escaped fenced population.

www.streamflies.com

holy crap. You learn something every day. So are there any kudu in NM while were on the subject of wierd animals in this state.

Clownville actually did try to plant kudu as well, simultaneously with the oryx introduction, but they apparently didn't take. They also put Asian (Siberian) ibex in the Canadian at one point, and some folks claim theres a couple few still in there.

NM is spot on!

I saw a small herd of them years ago, but why?

I have seen some pics of some that have been taken to each their own.

You can get into the non-native debate etc.

I have zero desire to shoot one, but would like to see one again!

STINK, again insert foot in mouth with your BS!

>Word is 2 monsters were taken
>after the big snow storm...
>
>One may be the new world
>record...Pictures?

They also put Asian (Siberian) ibex in the Canadian at one point, and some folks claim theres a couple few still in the, i ve heard the same thing the herd was there in late 80 early 90s my dad was able to draw a tag and killed a really nice billy.

>What is the story on the
>Canadian Ibex?

They also put Asian (Siberian) ibex in the Canadian at one point, and some folks claim theres a couple few still in the, i ve heard the same thing the herd was there in late 80 early 90s my dad was able to draw a tag and killed a really nice billy.

The Pueblo of Laguna generally offer a tag or two for tahr each year

"Whatever you are, be a good one."
- Abraham Lincoln

Its the Canadian river.It looks like a smaller version of the Rio Grande gorge.Its just west of Roy.and would guess 100 miles long.Its some rugged country.

(Siberian) ibex were in the Canadian River some folks claim theres a couple few still in there. The canadian river is by mesa new mexico . Love to see the tahr pic

Thank You
As soon as I get some help in how to post pictures I will put them up.
Just so everyone is clear.Im posting them for enjoyment and I know how ruthless people are on here.So I have never posted anything before.
With that said,I dont care if anyone thinks its right or wrong, good or bad.Just enjoy them for what they are...
I spent 4 years researching this animal and hunted for them 2 years.I paid my dues. I was lucky to find a small herd that is isolated. So im not willing to share where they are other than its in New Mexico.If careful several more could be taken and still have a sistainable herd.
I would however TRADE specifics and SWAP HUNT TIME with someone who has found the IBEX.
PM me if you are out there...
Finally,This Tahr has a Long Horn right at 15 INCHES.
He scores over 48, easy.I have been told this makes him Top Ten.If that matters.So I guess he has to be judged by a Panel or somthing...He is A MONSTER either way.

treedagain posted the pics in another post, but took them down pretty quick. So at least I got to see the pics.

here is a pic of the Tahr

9053rick3.jpg

Great bull! I guess the cats outa the bag...Im hoping to kill number four with bow soon now that the New Mexico Gov tag deer got a case of dead this morning....

Son

Looks like unit 34 to me.

Just kidding! Great story.
I saw the episode of the taxidermist in Alaska when he mounted a Tahr. Otherwise, I wouldn't have known what that thing was.

Congratulations, awesome Tahr! I have been lucky enough to hunt them in New Zealand and they are a great trophy. If I knew their location the only person I would trust would be my own brother.

Good luck on your search for off the Floridas ibex. I have been in some of the likely country down there and never seen a thing. I also know a few people that spend a lot of time down that way and currently have no leads on any that are hanging out in the unlimited zone.

The mythical NM tahr does indeed exist!! I've heard plenty of stories about them on the Laguna over the years, but this is the 1st time I've actually seen one.
My congrats to you. You found a behemoth of a bull. I've shot 3 in New Zealand and one was a BIG 12 7/8" bull & he is nothing compared to this bull. I've
seen many tahr shot (lived in NZ for a yr). I've never seen one like this.

That bull is like pulling a 200" bighorn out of the Pecos..

Congrats on a PHENOMENAL trophy!

Now what's the cords?? ;)
------------------
DRSS

Unreal man!! That is awesome. A ridiculous trophy. Keep that spot and herd to yourself!! Very well done.

Congrats again on a stud of a trophy!!

Thats is the COOLEST thing I have ever seen on this site!Congrats on a trophy of a lifetime and I don't at all blame you for not sharing info.I never believed they lived here anymore, I even asked the game warden who patrols that area and he said he had heard of them some years ago but was yet to see one.I thought I knew the unit well but was blanked and even one of mu hunting partners from there who really knows the unit for elk has never seen one in some + years...Way to go , congrats on a great tahr and thanks for sharing it here...NM

LAST EDITED ON Feb-01-12 AT 00:50AM (MST)[p]The Siberians are long extinct, Bachicha's dad likely killed one of the last breeding billies...the folks in that country that have claimed to see them lately are mistaking some of the very few barbary for ibex, per their descriptions of such.

Anyway, sent ya a message

**edit---to fullcry

New mexico hunter.If you knew my brother you wouldnt even tell him..
Son of the south.Did you take all your bulls with a bow in New Mexico?

Definitely one of the best threads I've ever seen on MM. That thing is ...other worldly. Very cool.

Fullcry, without giving any location specifics can you elaborate on the hunt? It looks like spot and stalk on snowshoes? Or was that just the retrieval.

I'd enjoy hearing more.

Congratulations.

OK,First and formost.I am not that fat..LOL
When we left to go in the morning,I had no Idea how long we would be gone.We took lots of extra clothes, flashlights,water you name it.I was prepared to stay over night on a TAHR track if I had too.
We were all in and going for broke. So what you see is me wearing everything because we had no extra room in the packs.Every pocket was stuffed with things.And we wanted to be done and off in 1 trip apiece.
I had hunted Tahr by myself the year before.And I worked very hard.After 7 full days I knew where they wernt and came home...
This year I had a plan to grid work everything else I wanted to look at.Plus I though I would go back and look at a couple of promising areas from the year before that I felt they might move into after the big storm..
So my son and I get down to New Mexico and its a mess.We had 4 wheelers and everything we need for up to maybe a foot of snow...
What we didnt have was the equipment for 3 FEET of snow.
DOOM ON US.So we tried to get into our area as far as we could and go from there.
Not even close.So we backed out and started to work the phones...Did you know we literally called 10 places and nobody in New Mexico rents Snowmobiles!!!.We concidered driving 12 hrs home to get ours and the nice snowshoes we have just sitting there.Frustrated we knew we had to at least have the Snow Shoes.Ive hunted Lions enough that its a must thing in deep snow..
So back to the phone...Finally we located REI in Albq.So we did the 2 hour drive in to rent Snow Shoes we already owned.And back to the MT. we went.
Our plan at that time was to Snow Shoe in as far and as high as we could,set up a spotting scope and glass everthing from the tops.Then if we didnt see anything,walk off big ridges all the way down to pick up spots just looking to cut tracks.If we rotated we could work one Mt.at a time. One guy up on top and one guy at the bottom.
I picked a Mountain that I wanted to start with based on were I finished up the year before.
It was the first day,just getting started.3 feet of snow and clear.So very cold.
Camp didnt get set up until midnight the night before with the extra drive,so we wernt just going to start hiking in the dark.
We drove in as far as we could and we decided to glass a spot were we could see the tops of 4 bowls.You could see quit a bit of county, but it was a long ways away..Luckily I had my big STS-80 spotting scope.I looked at the tops for maybe 10 min.I was looking for tracks in the snow just as much as for animals.
It was still dark in the lower country but light enough on top.We were hungry and not quit ready to go charging anywere yet.So I said I would make breakfast.We switched places in the truck and I got everything out to cook a good breakfast on the consoles front seat...
I was just getting started cooking when my son gasped and said "DAD I can see a TAHR".He had been looking maybe for 10 min...YES, he did see it first...
I got behind the scope and immediatly saw the tracks that had came off the highest ridge.Following them down right to a Monster Bull TAHR !!!

While we were switching places that Bull had walked out and dropped into that basin...I knew for sure cause I had looked at that area just a few min.before.Then it was a mad scramble for a minute.My boy wanted to grab a gun and lets go.
I finally forced myself to finish cooking while we calmed down and went over the best routes and made a game plan to get behind and above him..
This really was smart because looking back we could have easily messed up the stalk.We took everything we needed to stay over night if we had to.I figured if he moved out before we got there we would stay on his track til we caught up to him..
So we circled down a half mile and straight up the next ridge line over.Always out of site.Almost 3 hours straight up on snow shoes and we were above him.We cut 2 differnt sets of fresh Lion tracks going up...Plus seeing some other stuff you can guess.We were way excited...I knew he was the biggest one so we carefully moved to the top.Luckily he was in the next basin over away from all the activity in the next canyon.
It took a little while to get in close as we over shot him coming across and had to come back..I was close,maybe 60 yards.I moved several times cause he was in the thick brush.Finally I had had it.From every angle I couldnt get a clear shot.And I was scared being so close he might hear us a little and spook.Luckily it was a little windy.So I decided enough and stopped moving.
I waited literaly 10 Min. for him to move over in a shooting lane.Dead rest, scope on and my shooting hand in my pocket.When he moved over, I shot him at about 60 yards..He turned and ran down and across.I told my self in the begining once I shot I was shooting till he was down or gone.
I got a second shot as he went down and over thru the brush.I couldnt tell if I had missed or what.Finally at about 125 yards he got to a little ridge and almost stopped.The third shot spined him and all 4 legs went stiff and up in the air and he tipped over like only a spine shot will do.It was over!!
After we skinned him for a life size, we saw that all 3 shots were in his chest.We loaded him in both packs and came off the Mt.Just beating dark...Im glad I had the extra clothes on cause I fell maybe 20 times.And it was so steep in places, I slid on my butt.Not to mention the cliffs we had to drop down out of..But I also had the heaviest load...LOL
Once home, I UPS the snow shoes back to REI from Utah..
Ok,So much for a short story...

As an aside,thanks to all those who have said Hi on here and PMed me.
I appriciated the good words and NO NEGATIVITY.I try to stay out of all that stuff.Which is why I dont usually post Pictures or stories normally.
I havnt gotten back to every one yet, as I have been working alot.
Lets just say I am way excited from the information and leads I have gotten.
And I look forward to spending time with a couple of you...
Thanks for reading my story..RICK

Fullcry, that is an amazing trophy! I live in New Zealand and hunt tahr often. I have been lucky enough to take a bull that is just on 13 1/2"...which although a very nice trophy is nothing on a bull like yours! I know of two people who have a 15" bull over here, but am yet to see them!

If you or your son wants a tahr hunt in New Zealand get in touch with me, I would love to take you out and hear your story first hand.

Regards

James Morris

Man that is so cool, never even heard of this animal and am very intrigued now. Are there any regs for hunting Tahr?

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Fullcry-

Congratulations. That is one amazing story and hunt. You are a total badazz in my book and have shown an amazing high level of hunting skill here.

Thank you for sharing your story, by far the best I have ever read here.

WillPower

"My only regret in life is setting my goals too low"

No doubt one heck of a trophy......does anyone have any idea what Laguna is asking to hunt within the high fence?

I did here from someone in Las Cruces that a bigger one was killed out of that area. Have not seen pictures only heard rumors. Someone from Southern NM got him. Not sure I believe everything I here either cause yours would be hard to top. Maybe a pic will surface in the future.

Im betting this tahr came off the Mt. Taylor game park owned by Laguna pueblo ( high fence), the picutre looks like the upper end of water canyon, There are two cabins in the bottom, one was scratched out in the first picture with the black scribbles and I just circled the other one in red, you really have to zoom in. Also I think I see the high fence running across the head of the canyon.............I hope I'm wrong as I would love to think there are still a few running around outside the game park.

9522edited.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom