Worst Creep Stories From Today???

AaronS

Buddy of mine put in for a 2nd rifle hunt with 11 points that took 6 last year. Waited this morning for a credit card charge that never came and finally saw an additional point awarded. I'm sipping a whiskey for his sorrows right now and am ready to toast those out there with similar stories. Who missed out on what they thought was a highly likely successful draw?

I was planning to try to draw 66 2nd season with 9 points changed my mine because I figured point creep would be bad... And I think there was sum extremely disappointed people who didnt draw with 10 points....

I think 10 was the magic number in 66 for 2nd. Had some buddies draw it with 10 NR points. I saw some guys that posted that they didn't draw with their 10.

Yeah my buddy put in for 66 2nd rifle with 11 points and didn't get it.

I was fortunate enough to draw 67 3rd with 20 points and my dad drew it as well.

I was stunned when I found out I got my tag but my friend didn't get 66 2nd with 11 points.

Did you only bet on one unit? Cause i drew a 3rd season tag with zero creep
I don't even remember what the bet was :). But I was thinking creep of 4-5 points. I was thinking more in the 2-3 range. I'd have to track down that post.

Not CO, but a unit in UT that I have enough points for an LE archery bull has been point-jacked to where you'd think it was the San Juan unit...

Buddy of mine put in for a 2nd rifle hunt with 11 points that took 6 last year. Waited this morning for a credit card charge that never came and finally saw an additional point awarded. I'm sipping a whiskey for his sorrows right now and am ready to toast those out there with similar stories. Who missed out on what they thought was a highly likely successful draw?
I drew a unit 66 second season deer tag with 10 points. I’m a NR.
How is this possible if people are drawing with 10 points? Maybe your buddy didn't have as many points as he thought.

How is this possible if people are drawing with 10 points? Maybe your buddy didn't have as many points as he thought.
I was thinking the same thing. Something doesn’t seem right with that. My guess is he either only has 10 points or put the wrong Hunt code.

I was fortunate enough to draw 67 3rd with 20 points and my dad drew it as well.

I was stunned when I found out I got my tag but my friend didn't get 66 2nd with 11 points.
If some guys drew 66 second with 10 points then your buddy with 11 must have done something wrong on his application.
Or maybe he actually only had 10 points?

If some guys drew 66 second with 10 points then your buddy with 11 must have done something wrong on his application.
Or maybe he actually only had 10 points?
Not true
I know of plenty of examples from years past where someone had a point and did not draw and someone with ZERO did!

In a preferential point system like Colorado, the person with more points would get preference in the draw over a person with less points.
If a person with 11 points didn’t draw and a person with 10 points did draw for the same hunt then that would definitely be a mistake on someone’s part.
If it was CPW that made the mistake and they wouldn’t correct it I would think some legal action could be taken to remedy the problem.

It can happen on party applications. If you are the last one selected in a preference point pool and you are a party application you will get passed over if there are not enough tags for the entire party. I know someone who had 3 points last year and didn't draw a tag. When he looked he found that one person with 2 points drew the tag. He contacted CPW and they told him he was in a party of 2 and there was only one tag left, so he got passed up and it was given to someone with 2 points.

Rich

It can happen on party applications. If you are the last one selected in a preference point pool and you are a party application you will get passed over if there are not enough tags for the entire party. I know someone who had 3 points last year and didn't draw a tag. When he looked he found that one person with 2 points drew the tag. He contacted CPW and they told him he was in a party of 2 and there was only one tag left, so he got passed up and it was given to someone with 2 points.

Rich
Rich that is correct it could happen in the scenario you described.
I was referring to the post where the guy said his buddy with 11 points didn’t draw. He didn’t mention in the post if his buddy was in a party application. I read several other posts of people that drew the same hunt with 10 points so obviously there were several tags remaining for the 10 point pool.
If the guy with 11 points didn’t draw on a single app and some guys with 10 points did then there was obviously a mistake made somewhere.

That's a good point Rich, the party app rules vary by state. For instance, I believe WY is the opposite. If there is still at least one tag available when a group gets picked, everyone in the group gets a tag.

AaronS did mention he was drinking whiskey when he made this post.
Can’t hold that against him but maybe that could have possibly been a factor in this issue LOL.
Cheers all

I don't know what happened, but I saw his hunt code after he submitted his app.... DM066O2R... and his points jumped to 12 after the unsuccessful app. Picture of app below. He was applying on his own so it wasn't a party draw limited by number of tags remaining or a guy with lower points. He will be calling CPW to see if they can help him figure out what happened.

Colorado app.jpg

I don't know what happened, but I saw his hunt code after he submitted his app.... DM066O2R... and his points jumped to 12 after the unsuccessful app. Picture of app below. He was applying on his own so it wasn't a party draw limited by number of tags remaining or a guy with lower points. He will be calling CPW to see if they can help him figure out what happened.

View attachment 41135
Aaron I would say your buddy is entitled to that tag and he should demand they give it to him.
Of course he will have to confirm his preference points were 11 going into the draw.

Yeah.... he only had 10. He told me he had 11 going in and now 12 after the unsuccessful draw. After looking at his app again (and posting it prematurely) I told him to look at his points again because, as many pointed out, there's just no way this happened. So he checked and he has 11 after the unsuccessful draw. I didn't realize he was keeping his track of his points not by checking his account, but by knowing he bought his first point in 2010. Well... he missed a year in 2011 he forgot about and is now even more bummed that cost him this hunt. Anyway.... I guess I'll have another whiskey and get ready to chase them in 67.

Sorry to stir everyone up!

Yeah.... he only had 10. He told me he had 11 going in and now 12 after the unsuccessful draw. After looking at his app again (and posting it prematurely) I told him to look at his points again because, as many pointed out, there's just no way this happened. So he checked and he has 11 after the unsuccessful draw. I didn't realize he was keeping his track of his points not by checking his account, but by knowing he bought his first point in 2010. Well... he missed a year in 2011 he forgot about and is now even more bummed that cost him this hunt. Anyway.... I guess I'll have another whiskey and get ready to chase them in 67.

Sorry to stir everyone up!
There we have it. A modern day Paul Harvey story. Thanks for updating us!

"87.5% of point creep is perceived and not true. Guys don’t know how many points they have or don’t understand the draw odds data. Fact."

I'm calling BS on this dismissive remark. At least one hunter drew 3rd in my unit last year. My perception was I would draw with 21 points. Point Creep was real (12.5%?) in this case. I too failed to get my application in timely over the last 2 decades. Blue collar life gets demanding sometimes. That's on me and I did it twice during my 40 year Oil Field career. That's on me as occasionally I got stuck offshore, on a job, or lost track of the dates. I am however, very much aware of how many points I have. They cost money and effort and I love to hunt Deer & Elk, so why wouldn't I?

LaGriz55

Well, I had to spend a point in my 0 point unit! True story.

My Paul Harvey portion: I wasn't forced too. I just didn't hunt CO last year because I hunted another state, thus 1 point for a 0 point unit. But it's 3rd season and it's still Colorado.

"87.5% of point creep is perceived and not true. Guys don’t know how many points they have or don’t understand the draw odds data. Fact."

I'm calling BS on this dismissive remark. At least one hunter drew 3rd in my unit last year. My perception was I would draw with 21 points. Point Creep was real (12.5%?) in this case. I too failed to get my application in timely over the last 2 decades. Blue collar life gets demanding sometimes. That's on me and I did it twice during my 40 year Oil Field career. That's on me as occasionally I got stuck offshore, on a job, or lost track of the dates. I am however, very much aware of how many points I have. They cost money and effort and I love to hunt Deer & Elk, so why wouldn't I?

LaGriz55
Well it looks like you’re in the 12.5% of people that can do simple math and correlate it to unit numbers. Congrats?

Also it’s the internet ?

Take a look they are posted all 1050 pages..

Reading gets interesting about page 500 or so..

Not true
I know of plenty of examples from years past where someone had a point and did not draw and someone with ZERO did!
I've had this happen before as well. Put in with 3 points and didn't draw. People with 2 points were awarded tags. Makes me think that the preference points are very helpful, but not a guarantee. DOW said that it was possible that this happens based on their system, but the explanation made my eyes glaze over after about 5 minutes. Either they didn't explain it very well, or I just couldn't grasp it. Either way, I went without a tag that year...

I've had this happen before as well. Put in with 3 points and didn't draw. People with 2 points were awarded tags. Makes me think that the preference points are very helpful, but not a guarantee. DOW said that it was possible that this happens based on their system, but the explanation made my eyes glaze over after about 5 minutes. Either they didn't explain it very well, or I just couldn't grasp it. Either way, I went without a tag that year...
only possible when group apps are involved for the higher point holders

Worst part about all these stories is half the units aren't worth half the points it takes now. I am in the sane boat with deer and elk. 19 elk pts and really on 4-5 units that are even close to waiting that long to draw, and all are in the 26 range. Guess just have to hope it would get better or get out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom