Worth a shot

ofdscooby

I am a non resident and I have never hunted Colorado but it is on my to do list of places to hunt. I just stayed up late to check my NM drawing and I struck out. So we are going to come to Colorado this year. We wanted to try out a unit in the southern part of the state. We have hunted NM unit 51 and 52 a couple times and found elk. Can or is anyone willing to point a guy in the right direction of a unit where a couple guys willing to tear up a pair of boots and do the work can find some elk.

LAST EDITED ON May-04-12 AT 05:55AM (MST)[p]

Most of the units in southwest CO match what you are looking for. Just be sure and stay away from the units that have mostly private land and native American reservation (ex: 741). The GMU map link on the big game hunting area of the CO division of wildife website will show you the public vs private land.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If you have hunted 51 and 52 at least once, GMU 81 in colorado is very similar. And it is just over the border from 52. Plenty of area, lots of hunters. Elk are there you just gotta find em. Good luck.

Thanks thats kinda what I've been hoping to hear. 51 and 52 were known for their numbers and not their size do any of the southern units have that reputation

81. 82 plenty of hunters for rifle season who push em south as well as into the rough stuff

The difference between NM and CO is no limitation on the number of hunters in CO. A lot of tags get issued for 51 and 52, but there is no limit in CO on the OTC units. You will need to use the other hunters to your advantage or go higher or deeper to separate from the crowd. Bring spare boots. 70 & 71 fall into that category as well. Good luck.

Thanks guys we are really excited to try Colorado. We looked at all the units mentioned but that's about it so the research continues. Thanks for the info.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom