Writing A Huntng Story

B

BCHunter

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-09 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p]If a person had written a hunting story and wanted to see if they could get is published in a hunting magazine, what would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks, D

P.S. Learning how to spell would be a good start. Sorry about the typo in the title.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-09 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p]If a person had written a hunting story and wanted to see if they could get is published in a hunting magazine, what would be the best way to go about it?

Thanks, D

P.S. Learning how to spell would be a good start. Sorry about the typo in the title.

kill something really big to go along with it

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

kill something really big to go along with it

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

BC,
While I haven't ever published a story, I have submitted several. It has been a few years since I've done this, usually you can find information on the website or in the magazine you are wanting to submit your story to. If you can't email the editor, or someone at the magazine, they should be able to get you some writer's guidelines. I know that isn't a ton of information, but I hope that helps.

BC,
While I haven't ever published a story, I have submitted several. It has been a few years since I've done this, usually you can find information on the website or in the magazine you are wanting to submit your story to. If you can't email the editor, or someone at the magazine, they should be able to get you some writer's guidelines. I know that isn't a ton of information, but I hope that helps.

Pictures are a major factor. The editorial staff can correct spelling, punctuation, etc; but pictures of the area, the trophy, the hunt in general are what they need from you.

Pictures are a major factor. The editorial staff can correct spelling, punctuation, etc; but pictures of the area, the trophy, the hunt in general are what they need from you.

Yes spelling does help. :) I'd also suggest that if it's accepted then, if possible, request a copy of the final draft before they go to print because I've seen stories printed that weren't as accurate as the original. fwiw.... good luck!

Yes spelling does help. :) I'd also suggest that if it's accepted then, if possible, request a copy of the final draft before they go to print because I've seen stories printed that weren't as accurate as the original. fwiw.... good luck!

I would recommend posting it on here first. We'll give you some good feedback and help you polish it up.

I would recommend posting it on here first. We'll give you some good feedback and help you polish it up.

I have been fortunate and had quite a few published and the pictures are a huge factor. Especially the megapixel of the picture. They have to blow them up and a friend of mine that is an editor won't use anything under 8 megapixel and prefers 10 or higher. Another big element is the length of the story. Before submitting find out their suggested length. One magazine I submitted too, was 1,500 or less, period. I submitted it over 1,500 and they edited down. I also agree if you can see what they have changed or modified before it goes to print but this would be rare to happen. I had a couple that they deleted this paragraph and I would have preferred that they delete a different paragraph. The editor in most cases does not have the time to get back to you, once they are going to use it, they pick the pictures and modify the story and send to the printer. I have submitted all my pictures taken on the hunt as well. What I thought were the best were not what they thought were the best so they had ample to pick from. Good luck.

I have been fortunate and had quite a few published and the pictures are a huge factor. Especially the megapixel of the picture. They have to blow them up and a friend of mine that is an editor won't use anything under 8 megapixel and prefers 10 or higher. Another big element is the length of the story. Before submitting find out their suggested length. One magazine I submitted too, was 1,500 or less, period. I submitted it over 1,500 and they edited down. I also agree if you can see what they have changed or modified before it goes to print but this would be rare to happen. I had a couple that they deleted this paragraph and I would have preferred that they delete a different paragraph. The editor in most cases does not have the time to get back to you, once they are going to use it, they pick the pictures and modify the story and send to the printer. I have submitted all my pictures taken on the hunt as well. What I thought were the best were not what they thought were the best so they had ample to pick from. Good luck.

In many cases the size of the trophy is the key. Eastmans' published a story on a big P&Y bull moose I took with a bow as soon as I sent it in. The following year I sent in a much more well written story (I had learned a few things) on a Fannin sheep I took with a rifle. Even though the story (14 day remote pack hunt)and the pictures were MUCH better they did not publish it.

Why? The ram was mature but not record-book quality....

In many cases the size of the trophy is the key. Eastmans' published a story on a big P&Y bull moose I took with a bow as soon as I sent it in. The following year I sent in a much more well written story (I had learned a few things) on a Fannin sheep I took with a rifle. Even though the story (14 day remote pack hunt)and the pictures were MUCH better they did not publish it.

Why? The ram was mature but not record-book quality....

I've had stories in Huntin'Fool & Alaska Professional Hunter magazine.

APHA printed the whole story in their convention issue, but Huntin'Fool edited my story and chopped quite a bit out of it.
I agee with Joe, try to stick to the word count maxium and send unaltered photos.
HH

I've had stories in Huntin'Fool & Alaska Professional Hunter magazine.

APHA printed the whole story in their convention issue, but Huntin'Fool edited my story and chopped quite a bit out of it.
I agee with Joe, try to stick to the word count maxium and send unaltered photos.
HH

I think trophy size is a key if a Mule Deer or Elk but not necessarily other species. Had articles published on moose, caribou, wolves, mtn. goat, etc. and none of them were officially B&C qualified. I think it is a package deal; good pics and not to long of a story.

I think trophy size is a key if a Mule Deer or Elk but not necessarily other species. Had articles published on moose, caribou, wolves, mtn. goat, etc. and none of them were officially B&C qualified. I think it is a package deal; good pics and not to long of a story.

The story is more about me and my Dad's last hunt and not so much about the animal taken. It is a little over 3 pages long. Not sure whether that is a bunch or not.

What magazines would be a place to start trying to get it published? I tried Outdoor Life (I aim high) but they said they didn't take any unsolicited stories.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Darran

The story is more about me and my Dad's last hunt and not so much about the animal taken. It is a little over 3 pages long. Not sure whether that is a bunch or not.

What magazines would be a place to start trying to get it published? I tried Outdoor Life (I aim high) but they said they didn't take any unsolicited stories.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. Darran

If you have your story saved in Word, you can see the total count by going to Tools, Word Count. Are you a member of the Huntin' Fool, all members can submit stories. Trophy Hunter is one that anyone can submit too. There is Mountain Hunter out of Canada but I believe all their stories need to be with an outfitter licenesed with the organizations.

If you have your story saved in Word, you can see the total count by going to Tools, Word Count. Are you a member of the Huntin' Fool, all members can submit stories. Trophy Hunter is one that anyone can submit too. There is Mountain Hunter out of Canada but I believe all their stories need to be with an outfitter licenesed with the organizations.

From my experience, you need it to be maximum of 1,500 words. Normally, 1,000 to 1,500 is about the perfect range. You can edit it down or the editor will hack it down. I would edit it myself if I was you.

From my experience, you need it to be maximum of 1,500 words. Normally, 1,000 to 1,500 is about the perfect range. You can edit it down or the editor will hack it down. I would edit it myself if I was you.

Here is my advice for what ever it is worth. My first story made it into the March issue of Huntin' Fool. My advice is to try and submit to the magazines that solicit stories from their readers like Huntin' Fool, Eastman's Journal, etc. because magazines like Outdoor Life are for the "pros" like the Jim Zumbo's of the world. I would use a high megapixel camera (at least 8)for your photos. I use a 12 megapixel. Take as many photos as possible in as many different poses as possible. Make sure your story has a theme that ties into the title of your story. I try to develop my theme in the beginning and then tie it back in at the end of the story. Humorous stories seem to go a long way also. I agree with the posts above, the editor takes great liberty with cutting sections from your story.

Here is my advice for what ever it is worth. My first story made it into the March issue of Huntin' Fool. My advice is to try and submit to the magazines that solicit stories from their readers like Huntin' Fool, Eastman's Journal, etc. because magazines like Outdoor Life are for the "pros" like the Jim Zumbo's of the world. I would use a high megapixel camera (at least 8)for your photos. I use a 12 megapixel. Take as many photos as possible in as many different poses as possible. Make sure your story has a theme that ties into the title of your story. I try to develop my theme in the beginning and then tie it back in at the end of the story. Humorous stories seem to go a long way also. I agree with the posts above, the editor takes great liberty with cutting sections from your story.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom