wrong tag

mozey

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Oct-05-08 AT 08:14PM (MST)[p]Bear tag in pocket, 70-pound pack on my back, and trusty 7mm in hand, I headed to the 'ol water hole last Friday. Checked the trail-cameras when I got there and saw that I'd missed this bear by only a couple hours:

48e9635844587459.jpg

48e963964569d7b8.jpg

48e963d1469d4963.jpg

Also saw that this bear had been by the day before:

48e964d04cc4181b.jpg

48e965164e232638.jpg

48e9654f4f75c9c2.jpg

Picked out an aspen that was just off one of the trails that approaches the water and hung my tree saddle (http://www.trophylineusa.com/) so that my feet were about 15 feet off the ground. Stayed up there 'til dark, but nothing came in the rest of the day.

Was back in there at first light on Saturday, checked the trail-cameras, and saw that a small bull had visited about an hour after I'd left the night before. Climbed back up the aspen, left my fanny-pack at its base, covered with few pine boughs that I'd pruned back to afford myself a better view up the approaching trail. Stayed up there until noon, when I came down to relieve myself and eat the lunch that I'd left in the fanny pack below. Finally, at about 3:00, through the pine boughs that were at my eye-level, I spotted a large animal standing broadside about 50 yards up the trail. My first thought was that was a really neat color for a black bear, and I got my gun ready. It started coming up the trail towards the water. My heart almost stopped when it stepped into an opening: mountain lion.

At ten yards it veered off the trail and made a beeline to my tree. With all the dead leaves and broken twigs below, I couldn't believe how quickly yet silently such a large animal could move.

It stopped directly below me and started sniffing where my fanny-pack was buried underneath the pine boughs. My gun barrel was pointed directly down, the tip below my feet, just waiting for him to look up and then start climbing the tree. Never thought to haul my camera up in the tree with me, it was still inside the fanny-pack. Looking directly down on him, I thought its tail seemed almost half as thick as its body width. It held its tail perfectly still the entire time that it was directly below me. One of my sillier thoughts in the moment was that if I unhooked the tree saddle, I could pounce on it just like it might do to me if the circumstances were reversed. After a minute or so, it moved off into the thickest brush, I was only able to watch it for about 20 yards.

Unfortunately, the direction it went was opposite of the water and trail cameras, so I never did get a picture of it. I stayed up in the tree for two more hours. Normally, the safer thing to do is to unload my gun while going up and down a tree. This time I kept it loaded, and came down much more slowly than I normally do, watching the brush where it disappeared.

Think I'm going to buy myself a cougar tag before my next trip in there... ;-)

Man, you got the hot spot. That mountain lion stuff is way cool

That bear has one of the fattest azzes that I have seen on a bear.

Hope you get that big cinnamon or is it a blonde?

Man, I'd love to tag that bear, but I think I recognize her from about a month ago as one that has cubs. Hard to say with the black and white picture. I took the cameras down at the beginning of the bow hunt, and then hung them back up after three weeks. Can't tell if they're some of the same bears from before or not, but if they are, they've all added some significant girth since then.

I've never killed a bear before, so I'll be happy with any color. A full-body lion mount sounds pretty good, too. :)

...some days it seems that the best way for me to not see something is to have a valid hunting license in my pocket. Based on last weeks events, I was ready with a cougar tag. So sitting in the tree all day yesterday was an exercise in futility. The bear activity seems to be slowing down anyway, and all the rain we've been having pretty much has me second guessing sitting on a waterhole. Did have a couple of nice bears show up earlier in the week:

48f540590aa09acb.jpg

48f540d40e0de595.jpg

48f540f20eda3691.jpg

love it!

asked wife for the christmas list! ( the trailcam ) so hopefully!!

keep it coming!! btw..what's up w ya! when is ur deer hunt?

vinihunt

vini! What's up with you? My elk hunt starts on the 25th of this month; deer hunt starts Nov 8; barbary starts Feb 1. Bear runs through Nov 15, and mountain lion runs through Mar 31. Unless I tag out, I could be hunting almost every weekend between now and Mar 31... ;-) Life is good here in NM.

I like my Moultrie and Bigbull's Scout Guard. I also bought a Stealthcam Prowler a couple months ago and because of manufacturing defects haven't been able to put in the field yet. Sent it back to the factory for a sensor problem, which took two months for them to repair. Finally got it back last week, now it won't come out of sleep mode after the first series of pictures. Still talking with the factory to try to resolve this issue. I know it's anecdotal, but I'd recommend steering clear of Prowlers...

Mozey,

In one of the pics of the light colored bear there is I think a cub on the far left side of the pic. You can just see the head. Good luck trying to get one of them. I took my 1st bear this year with a bow. It seem like the woods are crawling with bears this year.

You're absolutely right, vichris. I noticed that cub in the picture a couple days after I posted the pics; so I was feeling kinda sheepish that I didn't notice the cub before, and at the same time pleased with myself that I actually did recognize its momma... :p

I don't remember if I said anything about your bear or not under the posted thread, but that is a beautiful bear and elk. Much congrats.

Just checked NMDGF website this morning and my zone has been closed for bears (must have been a bunch of them taken last week). So if I end up getting a bear this year, it ain't gonna be from this waterhole. Still a chance for a cougar, though.

...frustrates me that I can't go after these things because the zone has been closed. The NMDGF website is still showing four bears remaining against the total limit, and 10 sows remaining against the female limit... ;-/

What's up with that?

48f96424408046fa.jpg

48f9644040ff7fee.jpg

they closed it because the male limit was getting close even though there was still a few left in the female quota.. not everyone turns in there harvest and as of this morning more bears were turned in from people that dont check the harvest report. so i guess the quota actually went into the negatives..pissed me off cause i was set to take the hounds out this weekend and tree a few..oh well..mountain lion time..just waiting on the snow

...finally got a picture of the mountain lion, only to learn that there are actually two hanging around there. This past week, as I was actually watching the animals come in to water, I was amazed at how long it takes them to cover that last 75 to 100 yards. I timed one small bull at 30 minutes to cover only 50 yards. Take only one or two steps and then stop and look for a minute each time before taking another step. A group of three does and two forkies did almost a full 360 degree circle very slowly at about 50 yards out before they came in to water. Even then, the lead doe stayed back and stood watch while the other four drank. After about ten minutes, she saw something she didn't like and sounded the alarm. They all busted out of there like scalded cats, ran down canyon for about half mile, came back to within a couple hundred yards, and then back down the canyon again, all the while making their crow-like alarm calls. I never saw what spooked 'em, but I wonder if these kitties were chasing them:

490b14db7d64ced1.jpg

490b14fc7ea6db9d.jpg

Damn Moze, that water hole has produced quite a few sweet pics for you (and us) this year! Stinking lions...no wonder the elk and deer are so wary around that water.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom