WY Antelope opening week

opbuckslayer

I posted this in the WY forum as well but am looking for lots of input. How crowded is the opener and opinions on hunting early vs later. Thanks

Slayer, I have found a couple decent reasons to join in on a early season hunt, both having to do with getting a better or best type buck in your unit. If you can preseason scout, you'll want to have patterned a few bucks for opening morning and hopefully, all the best bucks are still alive and you'll know right where to be come that daybreak.

I've had a couple great late hunts as well. Still some various hunters around and about but i've found the animals to be calmer later, to bunch up more and feel safer in numbers, and to me it's a much more relaxed hunt with the fun being in holding off and looking them over for a really good one.

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

It can depend on where you are hunting. Public vs. private. I've come to enjoy the end of the season more.

We hunted opening day several years ago and I was shocked at the people that came out of the wood work.
We went up there 3 days early to hunt with our bows and would stick around for the opener if we didn't fill our tags. we never saw anybody until the day before the opener when there was a truck that stopped and shot at an antelope with a rifle. I double checked to make sure I wasn't wrong on the opening date and then called the Game warden. Other than that we saw maybe two or three other trucks that day. The next day, the opener, there were literally people everywhere. I have since stayed away from the opener and have opted to go towards the end of the hunt and have the whole area to myself.

I always try to avoid the opener if possible. But sometimes work does not allow it. I have hunted both the opening weekend and later in the hunt a few times and it is a way better hunt after the first 3 days when most people have taken their Antelope and have left. Best part is the better bucks I have taken are after the crowds have left. I think the older bucks are smart and can avoid the most hunters. If you have the time, start on the opener and hold out for a big one. Antelope are always fun no mater what time you hunt.

I first hunted antelope in Wyoming in 1971, and hunted every year for several years (back when you could get a tag yearly). We always went a day or two before the hunt, found a few good bucks to go after and most often found them in their beds on opening morning. That worked well for us and I have followed that routine for many years. We usually saw plenty of other hunters but we usually had our bucks in the truck before that was a problem.

After the draws were implemented we focused on drawing a premium unit and waited 8 years to draw. My son also drew an archery elk tag that year, so because of hunting date conflicts we decided to wait to hunt our antelope until they were rutting in late September. While our unit only issued 75 tags that year, we did not see another hunter during our later trip. It was also great fun watching the bucks chase each other...a whole different experience than we had going early. We were hunting one of the best units in the state, but we looked over hundreds of bucks and while the antelope were definitely more flighty that time of year, we had a blast. I missed a great buck and my son ended up taking a monster 85 inch stud.

I'm not sure what that would be like in an average unit, but overall our last experience was the best.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom