Wyoming cc fees

bronco63

Starting in 2019 Wyoming will start charging a 2.5 percent fee on all credit card transactions. Their fees just keeps getting more expensive. Hunting isn't just for the rich, applying for tags and not hunting is for the rich

>Starting in 2019 Wyoming will start
>charging a 2.5 percent fee
>on all credit card transactions.
>Their fees just keeps getting
>more expensive. Hunting isn't just
>for the rich, applying for
>tags and not hunting is
>for the rich

FYI the G&F has been paying those fees to the CC company and it was millions of dollars that can now stay in their coffers to help them stay afloat. It's no different from groceries and everything else going up as time goes by.

>Starting in 2019 Wyoming will start
>charging a 2.5 percent fee
>on all credit card transactions.
>Their fees just keeps getting
>more expensive. Hunting isn't just
>for the rich, applying for
>tags and not hunting is
>for the rich

I have to agree. Not sure if its staying afloat or splashing through ankle deep water. It may be hard for some of you to believe but state governments aren't always good money managers. Easier to gouge the constituents than to trim the fat. This isn't a shot at Wyoming its a an observation across the board

I charge a CC/Debit card fee in my business. Many do. The fees can add up. 2.5% is one of the lower ones.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-18 AT 12:11PM (MST)[p]>>Starting in 2019 Wyoming will start
>>charging a 2.5 percent fee
>>on all credit card transactions.
>>Their fees just keeps getting
>>more expensive. Hunting isn't just
>>for the rich, applying for
>>tags and not hunting is
>>for the rich
>
>
>I have to agree. Not
>sure if its staying afloat
>or splashing through ankle deep
>water. It may be
>hard for some of you
>to believe but state governments
>aren't always good money managers.
> Easier to gouge the
>constituents than to trim the
>fat. This isn't a
>shot at Wyoming its a
>an observation across the board
>

You might say it's not a shot at Wyoming, but it certainly came out that way in the first part of your post. What you may not know was that last year was the first time since 2008 that Wyoming raised any G&F fees for that Department to operate on and also at that time took away the very limited General Funds that it used to get. That actually left the Department with less money coming in than what will be needed over the next 2 or 3 years before they go in the hole. They have so many things that are mandated by state Statute that they have no control over, but ones that they do have already had cutbacks. I would suggest that before making generalizations and sticking Wyoming in with your telling us about Government wastes that you look at particulars before you speak, at least in this case! As mentioned above, many businesses charge CC fees, so this isn't anything new to screw the public doing business with Wyoming!

Ok so maybe it was a shot at Wyoming. It is a shot at all state wildlife agencies that charge ten times more for non resident tags and licenses than residents. A huge percentage of the animals non residents are taking are on lands weve all bought and paid for not just residents. I know im not winning this argument because its all about charging what the consumer will pay and I know that number will be a lot higher than it is now. Just nuts that we will keep paying it.

The interesting part to me is I understand that businesses charge a fee for CC because the processing company charges them and I get that.
If I want to pay with my CC then I have no problem with that. If I pay them with Cash then that's my choice.
The problem is WY doesn't accept cash so basically we are being forced to use a CC.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-18 AT 01:25PM (MST)[p]It would be interesting to know what percentage of sportsmen paid with check or debit last year versus credit card. Paying with check has got to be a very small percentage and shrinking every year. It would also be interesting to see the overhead costs (percentage) of dealing with checks and debit cards. I would think the labor involved with dealing with checks and bounce check fees has got to be something.
Very, very, very few businesses charge customers for using a credit card, mostly cause it's dumb and looks ridiculous because businesses usually want customers paying with credit cards, not checks or cash. Most businesses just build it into the sales price of products.
I'm guessing it's just a fee increase they can't add to license and tag costs, so it's just called a ?credit card convenience fee?.
As long as fools like me pay it, they'll charge it, right?? Better work extra hours this year to pay your ?convenience fees? boys!!
Yippee! Ha ha

PS - I guess a debit card might be the way to go.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
@mm_founder on Instagram
LIKE MonsterMuleys.com
on Facebook!

I guess my point is, those that want the convenience of a cc let them pay the fee. Those who have and want to pay cash Wyoming needs to give both options

I think residents may not understand how much money a NR has to put out with fees upfront. That 2.5% adds up quick if you put in for everything. At least Idaho allows you to pay with a check.
Bill

Funny how many folks don't realize they are paying cc fees on purchases. My reader charges 2.75 plus a fee on top. I tell customers when I bid it, I haven't used it for years.

I'm old enough to remember having to front the money, via check. Cc covering that is a conscience. In Utah its a loan for 3ish months. Doubt your getting a bank loan at 2.5%.

The state of Wyoming owns the animals. You want to hunt them, pay up. We don't let private owners set dates, bag limits, of seasons. Public land is not different.

Sucks, but you can always stay home and golf instead. Or ski. We know that's cheap

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

Guess I thought that the 2.5 percent fee was already built in to the current cost? Actually, it probably already is.

This credit card fee cost is just an excuse for them to be able to charge more.

I will, no doubt, still pay the higher fee. However, in my opinion, it makes them look bad when they come up with a lame ass excuse to raise costs.

The truth is they are raising prices because they can.

Excavator

LAST EDITED ON Dec-26-18 AT 04:02PM (MST)[p]Don't think I've ever come across a business that was upset I'd be paying in cash.

#livelikezac

I never thought I'd see the day when a man would have such a crush on a state and it's government...

Easy solution dont put in!

37205hornkiller.jpg

>I never thought I'd see the
>day when a man would
>have such a crush on
>a state and it's government...
>

That silly response is about what I would figure you would come up with since you very seldom add anything positive to a thread I post in. Everything I stated in that post is fact or it wouldn't have been made, so your comment is silly and more than lame. I do agree with others that they should try to come up with a way a person can pay with cash if they so choose to completely alleviate the extra fees that are charged when there is no choice to pay with other than a CC. I'm glad that some understand that hunting is becoming more expensive every year just like taking nice cruises, skiing, buying groceries, etc. It's funny that so many rail at the cost of hunting, but turn right around and pay 5 or 6 bucks for a small pack of cigarettes, God knows how much for the booze they consume a year on a regular basis, etc. Get over it or take up knitting! Hunting has always been my passion and probably actually an obsession and will be until the day I die, especially in a state I call my second home. I will save whatever I have to in order to do what I do and not think twice about it. End of rant!

I never like paying more but big deal. WY is still a bargain compared to the hose job MT gives you.

I always loved WY's system. before my wife and I drew out on most everything in WY we paid them a buttload of money and got a bunch of air miles. then got our money back.

Now it's just deer, elk and pronghorn so I don't care.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

If we do all species with fee'$ and Points$, it is right @ $900.00 without drawing a tag yet.

If my math is correct.

Robb

That's a lot of money, now multiply it by how many family members apply. I know businesses charge cc fees, but at least you are getting a service or produce. Here the NR is paying a large cc fee to most likely get all or most of their money (less point and application fees) back after the draws.
Bill

Along with the moose points going trough the ceiling t is getting out of reach for most people. Hunting out of state will be gone for the next generation. What will we be paying in 10 more years. $1000 dollar moose points????????

Darn, they finally caught up with my scam. Last year I charged $1268.00 for special elk plus $15.00 application fee. My credit card gave me 2% back or $25.66. When I didn't draw they credited the $1268 and kept the $15.

So I made a profit of $10.66 by applying for the tag.

Are you guys sure you're keeping your CC points after the refund? A lot of times if there is a refund the points for that purchase get refunded as well.

I've never thought about it for these hunt apps in WY, but just wondering if you've watched it close enough to see if the points remain?

Vanilla, you asked a good question that I don't think I know the answer.

I have a Citi Bank double cash card. You get 1% when you buy and 1% when you pay the bill. I am pretty sure I got the 1% when I made the purchase but when I got the refund it reduced the amount I owed on the credit card so I may not have gotten the 1% for paying the bill.

I own a small fast food place in Orem Utah. 20-30 years ago, there were maybe 5-10 credit cards used a day. In fact, I remember the the days when on a very busy Saturday, the employees would call and ask what to do when the credit card machine was maxed out at 20 per day.

Now, 75-80% of our sales are credit cards. Close to 300 or more transactions a day are credit cards. Now I pay almost $30,000 a year in credit cards fees for the customer to use their cards. It sucks. I see why Wyoming is doing this. And I have thought long and hard about having the customer pay the fees for the card use. It would amount to about .25 on every $10.00 purchase.

Would you be apposed to pay that small 2.5-3% charge on your combo meal? On a small purchase, its hardly noticed. But on a large purchase (Wyoming NR elk Tag) it is significant.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-18 AT 11:44AM (MST)[p]Idaho charges a fee for credit card use on its electronic applications but nothing for a check and paper app. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't cost more to process the paper and check than the cost of their CC fee...

So who is going to pay $120 just to have a slim chance to draw a Bison tag and then pay over $4000 for the tag? Not too mention that you don't even get a point if you don't draw. That should weed out a lot of NR hunters.

Does anyone know if the business (WY) gets the credit card fees back when they reverse the transaction (refund the money) when the customer does not draw? If WY is trying to recoup the fees then why don't they go back to charging only after we draw the tag. I'm sure more hunters would be willing to pay the 2.5% tickets if it came with a tag.

Also, is it confirmed that they won't accept checks?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-27-18 AT 01:53PM (MST)[p]>So who is going to pay
>$120 just to have a
>slim chance to draw a
>Bison tag and then pay
>over $4000 for the tag?
> Not too mention that
>you don't even get a
>point if you don't draw.
> That should weed out
>a lot of NR hunters.
>
>
>Does anyone know if the business
>(WY) gets the credit card
>fees back when they reverse
>the transaction (refund the money)
>when the customer does not
>draw? If WY
>is trying to recoup the
>fees then why don't they
>go back to charging only
>after we draw the tag.
> I'm sure more hunters
>would be willing to pay
>the 2.5% tickets if it
>came with a tag.
>
>Also, is it confirmed that they
>won't accept checks?

The Bison fees have been upped so high that I imagine the number of people that apply will be down a lot, but probably enough have the money such that they'll be able to get the number of Bison killed that they want taken out.

I have no idea whether that fee is returned on a refund situation. I have hunted out there since the early 90s and every year since 1999 and I can't ever remember not having to front the money during the application period. However, I also can't remember if I paid by check way back then, but I think I did until they went paperless. I also have no idea if you are right about people being more willing to pay the fee if it was only charged after the tag is drawn.

The only way to pay for G&F fees is online on their website by Visa, Mastercard, or Discover and it's been that way for quite a few years now. That is the only problem I have with this fee since people have no other way to pay and escape that CC fee. At least it's upfront and you know, rather than a lot of fees that people aren't even aware they're paying because it's built right into the price of an item. G&F had to go this route to do it up front since any other types of increase for tags and fees have to go through the Legislature.

?I have
>hunted out there since the
>early 90s and every year
>since 1999 and I can't
>ever remember not having to
>front the money during the
>application period.....?

Topgun, I thought they only started requiring upfront payment for Bison a few years ago?

I think they still accept checks, they just cancel your application if the check bounces.
How much does it cost to mail out refund checks if you pay by check and than you don't draw? That has got to cost a lot more than canceling a credit card charge.
I only get 0.1% interest on my bank account, so if I can save 2.5% - 0.1% that equals a 2.4% savings if I pay with a check. That sounds like the way to go.

>?I have
>>hunted out there since the
>>early 90s and every year
>>since 1999 and I can't
>>ever remember not having to
>>front the money during the
>>application period.....?
>
>
>Topgun, I thought they only started
>requiring upfront payment for Bison
>a few years ago?

I was referring to elk, deer, and antelope applications.

>I think they still accept checks,
>they just cancel your application
>if the check bounces.
>How much does it cost to
>mail out refund checks if
>you pay by check and
>than you don't draw?
>That has got to cost
>a lot more than canceling
>a credit card charge.
>I only get 0.1% interest on
>my bank account, so if
>I can save 2.5% -
>0.1% that equals a 2.4%
>savings if I pay with
>a check. That sounds
>like the way to go.
>

They don't take checks because a few years ago they went to strictly paperless applications done online and at that time the charges are paid upfront with a CC. If you don't draw, they then refund the money minus the application fees right back onto your CC. They used to issue refund checks, but now the only time a state check would be issued is if a CC expires before refunds are issued and it says right in the booklet to insure that your CC doesn't expire until after the refunds are issued so they don't have to issue any checks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom