Wyoming Confusion

ironranger

A friend and I have max points for elk and last year finally started putting in for the hunt. Didn't draw Unit 31 which was no surprise given the low percentage. Trying again this year and really want to hunt Wyoming this year. I've looked at Unit 22, 24, 30 to 32, 45, 100, 111, 118...just looking for a good unit with good access. I've shot 3 small CO bulls so even a 290 would impress me! :) More into the quality of the whole experience. My friend doesn't have a clue and just said "You decide" and he has had some knee issues in the past few years. Feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I've considered 45 but then saw posts about the wilderness part being better. Want to DIY. 100 would probably be logical as it's one of easiest hunts in Wyoming and my tenderfoot friend would love it. Any suggestions would be more than welcome...maybe I'll send him to the nearest outfitter and go solo... :)

Depending on weather the wilderness in 45 can be better, but it's not like you have to go into it. there are 300+ bulls but don't plan on it.

One nice thing is you won't have bear issues and the wolves aren't a big factor yet.

Look at the draw odds section on MM for the units you mentioned. That will give you the ones you are most likely to draw. 30 -32 and unit 100 are definitely the easiest hunts and the toughest draw. With any luck at all you should be able to kill a 290 bull there. You could draw unit 118 but most of the elk are on private and widely scattered. Unit 111 is a good unit with bulls like you're looking for and much bigger You have a good chance of drawing 111 but access can be a challenge and the best public land hunting is some pretty rough country. Don't know much about 45 except that it has some good bulls but you'll work pretty hard for one. Topgun knows that area well. maybe he'll respond and help you with that one. GOOD LUCK. Chip

For the units you have listed, for the hunt experience I would look at 30-32. I have spent several years in the area and love those hunts. These are fun hunts and can as hard as you want it. I have also spent a bit of time in 100. It would also depend if you are talking about going archery or rifle.

30: I ran into a guy the day before the opener who had a 30 tag in 2010. He said he never saw an elk while scouting and was sweating the hunt. I pointed to a few spot but don't know how the hunt went. I am not sure how he didn't see any elk. I have never had a hard time finding them in 30. Opening morning of 2008 I watched a couple hundred head of elk in 30. Several bulls in the 300 class range.

31: Would be the easiest and would be a great experience. 310 would be a good elk for 31. There are BIGGER but it is more of a fun hunt for mature bulls that a trophy hunt. ? of the elk that live in 30-32 live in 31.

32: I have hunted in 32. It is a good hunt but the odds have taken a dive (It has been publicized by a few Magazines). It is not the best experience, unless you go archery than it's as good as the other two. IMO during the rifle hunt the elk are pushed very quickly towards 31 and Utah. If you are not in the right area on opening morning it could be a hard hunt.

100: Is an odd elk unit. To me, it seems very strange to see all those big bulls in the sage with no trees in sight but they are there.

Not sure if that helps you?

Just a heads-up.....

30 is so freaking checkerbaord private/public...

Take a minute and do a search for 'nontypical' as he really knows those 30,31,32 LQ elk units----backyard type deal with him.

Robb

have you looked into the bighorns or are you just going to focus on the areas you listed

Thanx for replies...

440sixpack, I appreciate the info on 45. Best scenario would be a unit where bow ends one day and rifle starts the next so we could bow hunt for a week and rifle for a week but doesn't look like 45 is one of them. If we decide on strictly one weapon then it will be a possibility....

chipc...I've checked the wyoming website along with eastmans and hunting fool for info and will check mm draw odds to get that better idea. I'll keep researching and figure it out before the draw date. thank you for responding...

Utah400elk, we put in for Unit 31 last year but didn't draw. I wonder if our draw odds would be better putting in seperately since the tag numbers are so low and the odds of two drawing together might be too much? I drove thru Rock Springs on the way to and back from Utah hunt a few years back and it looks like some interesting country for elk. thank you for the insight...

Robb, always good to hear from you and appreciate the information. I'll search...

nfh, looking at 45 on south end of bighorns or at least I believe it is...that one is a possibility...I've driven thru that area and have always wanted to hunt there...we'll see...thanx for response....

111 is a great hunt and if the guy is a bowhunter he will feel like he is hunting the whole unit by himself . You mentioned knee problems which could be a real issue in 111 .

lots of bulls in that 300 range but a guy is going to have to really work hard for them in some steep nasty country .

100 is the best option for you friend. 290" is easily done in that unit and you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. Wilderness study area holds more elk than people might think and will not get the traffic other areas of the unit will. If you want it to be easy then hit a road and go for a drive. Saw 7 bulls, three 6 points, standing in unit 100 yesterday on the side of the interstate. Dont overlook 124. I work in 124, heck I am sitting in it right now. Similar to 100.

I would not get too worked up about the checkerboard issues in 30, 100 or 124. The private landowner is anadarko and in my experience have never cared who hunted it. Just stay out of the well sites and mines, take care of the roads and hopefully it stays that way. This is my opinion so take it for what it is worth. Of the 30 units I would pick 31, 30, and 32 in that order. Everything said about the quality and habits of the elk in those units I would agree with. Good luck either way.

118 doesn't have good access. the checkerboard is hard to navigate and not trespass.
24 isn't worth max points
22 isn't worth max points
111 is overrated IMO, but there are some nice bulls
Like said above 124 is fun and good bulls

py

118 doesn't have good access. the checkerboard is hard to navigate and not trespass.
24 isn't worth max points
22 isn't worth max points
111 is overrated IMO, but there are some nice bulls
Like said above 124 is fun and good bulls

py
FYI - 12 year old thread

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom