Wyoming deer and antelope habitat projects!

jims

Long Time Member
My guess is that most Wyo residents driving down the highways ask themselves what has happened to all the antelope and deer in prairie country the past few years? It's pretty sad driving down the highways to a wasteland of nothing put prairie in absolute horrid condition with few to no scattered antelope and deer in miles upon miles of country. Browse and forb species across many counties in Wyoming that is utilized by mule deer and antelope is in absolute horrible condition. There is no wonder populations are at an all time low in many counties.

First and foremost, similar to alcoholism it's important to recognize the problem. Next, it's imperative to do something about it!

I thought I would start a new post that offers suggestions and recommendations for the long-term downward trend of mule deer and antelope in Wyoming. Feel free to add any comments and observations from the particular areas where you spend time in the field. It would be great to share your experiences with disease, drought, poor range condition, big game highway casualties, etc.

What is the browse species condition in your particular area? Are there plenty of water sources through the summer? Have there been any outbreaks of CWD, EHD, other diseases in your area? How about roadkill? How are the predators. Are you seeing fawns and are fawns surviving through the summer, fall, and winter in your area?

Many may not be aware, but even with drought and extremely tough winters there are management schemes and projects that will deliver almost immediate positive results! Obviously some strategies may take time but I can pretty much guarantee almost immediate results with others! Healthy habitat leads to healthy does and fawns to battle difficult weather conditions, predators, and disease! It's obvious all of us would enjoy seeing more wildlife on the landscape!

Yep, the timing is right to do the right thing and work directly on making immediate changes in the field that can potentially change the downward trend of what’s happening to Wyo’s deer and antelope!

Yep, there is expense associated with these projects. Many Wyo residents may not be aware but there are actually millions of $ in grants available to fund such projects. We've taken full advantage of this funding in Colorado and the same thing is currently be used to fund such projects in Sublette, Carbon, Fremont, Sheridan and other counties scattered across Wyoming.

My goal with this post is to showcase some of the projects currently taking place in Wyoming that will benefit habitat and wildlife health as well as some of the problem areas!

The last thing I would like is a fighting match between Wyo res and nonres. This post is exclusively for bringing attention to projects that can potentially benefit wildlife and wildlife habitat in Wyoming.

Last edited:
Here's a closer look at what's going in Wyoming as far as wildlife vehicle collisions!

What really caught my attention is that up to 4% of the total mule deer found in Wyoming are killed by collisions in Wyoming in any given year! Holy smokes!

Wyoming big game collisions also result in $24 to $29 million in personal injury each year! Take a look at my original post if you want to find out more about Wyo wildlife collisions and wish to support this program. There also is a pretty cool interactive map.

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2404.jpg

Last edited:
How many of you have heard of ventenata and medusahead? Are you aware that they are found in the Sheridan area in Wyoming?

Here's a video that you may find interesting. It also has advice at the end how hunters and others can prevent it's spread.

@jims , this is an awesome thread! If anyone wants to nerd out on different projects, the Wyoming Wildilfe Natural Resource Trust does good stuff in the same vein that's being talked about here.

Here's an example of medusahead and ventenata spraying on Walk-in hunting areas near Sheridan.

Finally got 'em fully funded and increased their large project threshold this year!

Heyjvales,
It’s amazing to see what can be accomplished in the field to benefit wildlife with a bit of support, collaboration, and funding!

It's not just happening in Wyoming! Here's a fairly comprehensive article of some work being done in Idaho.

I thought I would highlight some of the improvement projects Heyjvales mentioned in his post above since March 2019 in the Sheridan and Johnson County area.

1) Highway fencing/passage project
2) Invasive annual grass control x 2
3) Stream/fish improvements x 3
4) Mule deer movement and habitat use research
5) Salt cedar and conifer removal x 2
6) Conservation easement x 2

Pretty impressive! It's great to see that the Wyoming Wildilfe Natural Resource Trust is getting a lot of on the ground work projects accomplished to benefit Wyoming wildlife!

One key ingredient for healthy antelope and deer survival is water. I wasn't aware of it until I noticed in one of Elks96's posts, but there is a nonprofit organization Water for Wildlife that's main focus is water development projects in Wyoming and throughout the West. To date they have completed over 196 water projects in Wyoming for the benefit of wildlife.

CDY_0106.jpg

A Shared Vision
More than forty years ago on the wide open plains of Wyoming, a shared vision was born – how to preserve, protect, and benefit the pronghorn antelope. The answer was water. Since the inception of Water for Wildlife® on May 1, 1975, the original vision has expanded to provide vital habitat resources to all wildlife species inhabiting the areas from Kansas to California. Each water project is uniquely designed to take maximum advantage of location, conditions, and topography.

A Cooperative Mission of Conservation
One of the keys to success is the close cooperation with state game and fish departments, the Bureau of Land Management, other state and federal agencies, and other non-profit conservation groups to ensure the proper placement and design of projects to achieve maximum benefit. These agencies and organizations, with the help of wildlife biologists and other natural resource professionals, have assisted Water for Wildlife® in the development of over 500 supplemental water sources throughout the West. Through the careful placement, management, and maintenance of water developments, WFWF has helped hundreds of different wild species thrive in arid western landscapes. Bighorn sheep and the Greater Sage-grouse are two iconic western species that Water for Wildlife® projects have specifically benefited. Water, or the lack of it, is the limiting resource in much of the arid West. The amount, availability, and the presence of potable water may increase the carrying capacity of the land simply by allowing wildlife to use previously uninhabitable areas. Water is also necessary for wetlands and riparian communities, which support the greatest variety of wildlife in the West.

CDY_0029.jpg

How Projects are Developed

Projects can be developed from many different water sources:

• Placing solar powered pumps on existing wells and pumping water into storage tanks
  • Construction of guzzlers to trap and store available water shed from rain and snow melt
  • Improving natural springs or artesian wells through the construction of underground storage facilities
  • Restoration of wetland and slough habitats
  • Construction of stock tank overflow ponds and reservoirs
  • Improving vegetation around pre-existing water sources through fencing
  • River and stream enhancements
How YOU can Help
These projects need financial support to be accomplished. We are a 501c(3) nonprofit organization and encourage your donations!
If you prefer to donate by phone or mail, contact the office at 800-768-7743 or send your donation to Water for Wildlife, 545 Main Street, Lander, WY 82520. We thank you for your support of our wildlife conservation projects.

Last edited:
Here are the notes from the Pinedale Townhall meeting held recently discussing the tough winter of 2023. Take a look at Dr. Monteith's best solution to help wildlife that I highlighted in bold print below. I'm not the only one that believes that healthy habitat is vital to wildlife health!

Wildlife Losses Discusses at Pinedale Town Hall Meeting​

deer-1024x538.jpg

CHEYENNE — This winter has been one of the hardest winters Wyoming has experienced in recent history. According to temperatures recorded at the Pinedale airport, the 30-year average for days of temperatures below zero is approximately 39 days.
This year, there were 62 days below-zero temperatures. Compounding the winter conditions has been an unusually large amount of snow, with many areas currently at 125-150 percent of the average snowpack. These factors have severely impacted Wyoming wildlife, and concerns from the public have grown as antelope, and deer carcasses have become substantially visible.
In response to the growing concerns Governor Gordon heard from constituents and legislators, the Governor called for a town hall meeting to provide an opportunity to hear directly from citizens in areas most impacted and to discuss solutions that work for Wyoming wildlife. The town hall was held at the Pinedale library and was open to the public through Zoom.
Advertisement - Story continues below...

Joining Governor Gordon and Wyoming Game and Fish Department (WGFD) Director Brian Nesvik was Dr. Kevin Montieth, a professor at the University of Wyoming’s Haub School of Environment and Natural Resources. Dr. Monteith shared with the audience that in addition to tougher than usual winter conditions, antelope have been hit hard by a rare bacterial pneumonia, which appears to be spreading.
Dr. Monteith further explained that some solutions that have been called for, such as feeding antelope and mule deer, are not good solutions because, unlike elk, the digestive systems of these animals cannot quickly adjust to hay.

Monteith explained to an audience of more than 200 that the best solution to help Wyoming wildlife is protecting and enhancing the animals’ habitat and protecting migration routes so animals can more easily seek forage. Access to their natural foods over the summer and fall allows the animals to enter winter with higher body fat content, helping them survive winter when shrubs and sagebrush brush are scarce.

Governor Gordon and Director Nesvik heard many suggestions, including limiting hunting quotas and seasons this year. Director Nesvik explained that this is an ongoing evaluation, and the WGFD continually monitor all the factors, taking them into account in future decisions. “We are experiencing one of the toughest winters for big game in Wyoming’s recent history,” noted Director Nesvik. We have difficult decisions to make, and I appreciate everyone who came to our town hall. Rest assured; those tough decisions will be made in consideration of biology and the advice we hear from concerned citizens.”
Concluding the town hall, Governor Gordon stated, “I thank all who came to the town hall in person or virtually. Wyoming people care deeply about our wildlife. That was clearly shown today. I greatly appreciate all the suggestions, questions and comments they shared today. Wyoming folks are not shy. I am committed to working with our citizens to provide healthy wildlife populations for generations to come.”
A Zoom recording of the town hall can be viewed here.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom