Wyoming DOW Staff

Whiterock

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-12 AT 05:25AM (MST)[p]I should of titled this the Wyoming Game and Fish Staff . Just a word about the Wyoming Game and Fish staff.A big thanks for your help in the past.I know alot of times it gets tireing answering all the questions,but you have always been very helpful to me and very friendly .
I have had many good hunts in your state and hope to have many more.
Wyoming has some friendly folks and hope to be there this fall again.

+1. Of all of the state Bio's I've spoken with the ones in Wyoming are always the most helpful and freindly.

They are awesome. My buddy and I have been out there several times not sure if we are gonna be back as buddies but we will both be back. We both feel that they were hands down the best game and fish guys we have ever dealt with. Very honest folks and a pleasure to work with. I wouldnt hesitate to ever call or go by the offices to get some info.

Ive hunted WY alot and talked to game wardens and bilogists alot over the phone before applying each year, always helpful and honest. Ive been interested in certain areas and been told honest opinions good and bad and I respect that. Ive been checked by wardens in the field and always pleasant doing there job. I dont mind getting checked, keeps people honest and esp if they are friendly and professional doing there job.

If you look at what a perspective person that wants to make that a career has to go thorugh to get on the final list to be one, it's no wonder that most are dang good.

Ive only dealt with one in the field and that was Tom Desomber and he is one class act guy. He sat there with us on the side of the road for over an hour helping us out. With the info we got we had several areas to choose from and we both left with mule deer. If the rest are half as good then they are all awesome.

Have met several Wardens over the years while hunting in WY. They were all very polite, professional and informative. Also had the opportunity to speak with Sheriff Deputies in Lincoln County and south of Casper who also were good to deal with.

About ten years ago I had a run in with a Game and Fish office near Pinedale. That afternoon I shot a nice bull and got a little over half of it back to the truck before dark. I was just planning on a day hunt so I decided to drive back to town and get a good nights rest then get the rest of the bull the next morning. On my way home I stopped at gas station to get a drink. I noticed a game and fish truck at the pumps when I went in. When I came out he was looking in the back of my truck. As I approached he told me to wait outside my truck and then he went back to his and got on the radio. A few minutes later a highway patrol officer pulled up behind my truck and came towards me. They both proceeded to start to ask me questions about my bull and why i did not have all of it. The G&f officer went back to his truck while the HP continued ot question me. I had done nothing wrong so I answered his questions in a calm manner. Then he walked over the G&F officer and they talked for a while. The HP then got back in this car and left. The G&F officer came back over to me and started ripping me up and down about wanton waste. It actually got pretty heated and we drew a crowd. I had done nothing wrong so I was a bit upset about the accusation. We yelled and screamed at each other for a while then he told me that he would be at the trailhead in morning and if i did not show up he would charge me.

The next morning he was no where to be seen and I got the rest of the bull and called it a season. The very next year on opening day I shot a bull about 300 yards from the one the year before. It was a repeat of the same story, I had about half the bull out by dark except this time I planned to just sleep in my truck. I went to the gas station to get something to eat and when I pulled up the G&F had a check station setup. As I approached I could see it was the same officer from the year before. I was prepared for the yelling to start. This time he could not have been more professional. He asked where the rest of the bull was and when I explained the situation he said that was fine. He even complimented me on the bull and said it was the biggest they had checked so far. A reporter from the Pinedale newspaper was there and she took my picture and wrote a small story that showed up on the front page of the paper. All in all it could not have been a more positive experience. Or a more opposite experience from the year before.

It just showed me that we all have our moments where we act like a holes. All my encounters with the G&F other than the first one have been positive and professional.

I've had nothing but positive experiences with the G&F, wardens, police, sheriff, hotels, etc. etc.

It stings when I send that $2000+, $750+, $100+, $50+ but honestly it stings a bit less when it's Wyoming.

I still gotta root for the Rams though or my friends would kill me :)

After talking to game wardens and biologists in almost every western state, my experience has been that Wyoming is the best with New Mexico a close second. Utah, not impressed after the biologist didn't want to help on a Youth Hunt, stating that it was unfair non-residents could draw easily and his kids had never drawn. Nevada, 2 long storyies that aren't good. And California??????? Depends on their age. The Game Wardens 20 years ago were pretty good. Now?? I think they all grew up in SF and went to the University of California. Must suck to deal with people (hunters) all day that you despise. Hope I run into the exception here someday.

I don't know how to forward this to the Game and Fish,but I did make a phone call to the Cheyenne office and complimented the 3 Game wardens and the 2 biologists that I recently talked with.
I havebeen concerned like many others about the muledeer and I have had very good and honest visits with the staff.

Always been professional & helpful in all of my phone contacts and contacts in the field. Keep up the great work Wyoming.

I'll chime in also on this thread and pretty much confirm what everyone else is/has said about the WDFW. I've been going to Wyoming for antelope since 2007 so not as long as some, but since I first called and spoke with the folks in the Sheridan regional office, and also Casper and the Lander office. Each and everyone of the folks I spoke with always where kind and helpful when you asked them questions. And, I must say when you talk with the local bio assigned to whatever region your asking about, they actually go in the field and know whats up. I've called my local game department in my home state of Oregon a number of times, and without fail they never have much to tell you or seem to actually go out and see stuff. Not Wyoming.

I've dealt most with Dan Thiele out of the Sherican office, really a great guy to work with, much appreciated for sure.

My wife and I ran into a game warden in Shirley Basin unit once and he was a pleasure to deal with. He had a boy about 12 years old with him that appeared to be his grandson. I thought what memories that kid will have on patrol with grandpa.

In my own state the game wardens always assume your guilty and give you a hard time. I will live out west one day. Missouri aint got muleys.

You wont regret it. I left Missouri in '96 for Wyoming and have loved every second of it. We even have turkeys and Whitetails. Everyting a man could ever want is contained within the 4 corners of Wyoming.

I was on the phone with the Gillette regional office, and after learning my hunt unit, she gave me 2 warden phone #s and a biologist #. They have already returned my calls. The regional lady finished the conversation with "we look forward to having you hunt up here."

A class act.

For the most part I have been happy with them.

However I had a game warden tell me flat out he did not hunt evenings and he expected me to do the same. He went on to say that if I shot an elk in the evening and did not get it all out immediatly and returned to find a griz on it he was going to give me a ticket for wanton waste. Think he had the nerve to ever say that to a resident?

$1,000 elk tag I was only allowed to hunt the first 1/2 of each day............!

I have had times when I cannot get a bio or warden to call me back, even after literaly leaving over 10 messages. On guys voicemail flat out said he would not return long distance calls.

I have only had positive experiences with Wyoming from Game and Fish to Game Wardens all professional and friendly. Yep I love Wyoming.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom