Wyoming elk hunt

Cthunter73

Hello all from Ct, I'm new to this site. I recently won a commisioners tag and was hoping to get some help on unit selection. I'd ideally like to go last week in September through 1st week october being that it looks like I can start with bow and if unsuccessful switch to rifle 10/1 in some units. I've been researching the units and it seems like areas 30 and 31 might give me a good chance. If anyone has hunted these units or has experience in another, I'd really appreciate the help. Not looking for specific locations but rather how my chances would be at getting into elk. Being a 1st, any elk would be a trophy. Thanks in advance

Both are good units with plenty of bulls. If you are looking for better trophy potential I would look at units in the Cody area. Plenty of great outfitters in That area. 30,31 are great DIY units. Cody area has lots of wilderness and a guide would be a great resource. I have hunted the Cody units several times and would be happy to share intel.
You have a great opportunity to kill a big bull this fall!

Thank you, unfortunately I'm not in a financial situation to afford a guide so it will be a diy. I'll be driving from east coast so scouting is really out as well. That's why I'm looking for a unit with good chance to get into elk.

30 and 31 are fine choices but they would not be my top choices. Not even in that area of the state. The vast majority of bulls taken in those two units are small 6's or 5 points. Those units do produce some great bulls but better choices exist. Your tag can easily result in better opportunities elsewhere. 124 is a much better choice. 100 would even be better, IMO. That being said, Stevie Wonder could find an elk in any of these units. You are going to have a great first elk hunt regardless of where you pick.

I'm driving from east coast and only have 1 week to hunt. Preference would be archery but not opposed to rifle either is why I was looking for the last week. Some units I see rifle doesn't start til the following week. Would I be better earlier for full week archery or later for full week rifle?

That's a question only you can answer. I will say you are asking a lot. Days of driving each way, 1st elk hunt, no scouting, no idea what the unit looks like, no guide, want to hunt archery, want to hunt rifle and you only have 1 week. My advice would be to shorten your list of wants. You have the tag of a lifetime. Pick what matters the most to you and enjoy yourself.

Lol, I agree it is a lot to ask. I didn't mean 1st elk hunt, just meant 1st elk taken if successful that's why cow or bull doesn't matter. I'm more of a meat hunter. I guess what matters most would be what time do you see them more active. September or October

I have a box of baseball cards that I'd be willing to trade for your tag!!!!

You've got a good one so make the most of it.

Luck to you,
Zeke

If you shoot a cow under this tag, you risk a long line of people wanting to kick you squarely in the nuts.

If you are happy with any elk, no need to drive across Wyoming to do it. Stop at the eastern border and hunt there.

Sorry not into baseball cards, lol. Well cow would obviously be last resort, dont want to go home empty handed and say a cow was all I had a shot at and passed. But sounds like I'll have good opportunities for a nice bull anyway. Also sounds like most units hold decent elk . Thanks for all the info.

I'd suggest putting this tag up for sale, if that is possible?
Or transfer it and get paid, if that is possible.?
It's worth $10k.
Hunt the units you are interested in a few years, and pocket some cash.

I was told it couldn't be sold for more than the $50 I paid for ticket without repercussions to buyer and myself. I didn't really expect to be drawn, I just figured I was contributing to the preservation and conservation of your land. I would love to get a decent bull but dont want to limit myself too much and eat another elk tag. Just looking for some helpful knowledge is all.

Personally I'd hunt the first week of rifle if you want a better chance at a bull. The bulls will probably still be screaming. That's just my opinion.
You have a great tag! Have fun.

hwy

Hey man, please realize just what an opportunity you have here. Make the most of it now because you will most likely never see it again. Even if I had to get a loan, I would be lining up an outfitter to maximize this opportunity. You don't want to look back 10 yrs from now regretting lost opportunity with this tag. With your travel time, you need a full 2 weeks. Personally I would probably be out of a job after the hunt because I would be taking the time.

I appreciate all the comments and I will take advantage of this opportunity as much as I can. The info I receive will help me do so. Im not planning on shooting 1st thing I see just not looking to go home with the empty tag so have to see how it's looking toward end of trip. I also did get a line on a guide and will be talking to them to see if I can swing it.
Thanks

OP: here's what a license like your's sells for on the auction block:

If you'd be happy shooting a cow for meat, you could've already been doing that any/every year for a 302.00 license fee. The license you won, as you may know, is an extreme rare privilege. This may sound totally crazy, but transferring your license to a friend or relative who has the full amount of time available to give it the justice it deserves, might be the wise choice? You can always go do the cow hunt any year you want, when you have more time to put into a hunt.

Hey man what ever you decide to do I hope you have a great hunt you have a good chance at killing a great bull be sure to let us know how you do naxt fall

Holy cow, the guy got lucky and won the privilege of buying a license Give him a break and let him hunt what he wants in the time he has.
Trophies are in the eye of the beholder. Even if you take a spike or a cow well done.
Weigh your options and look over lots of areas. Even a week will give you a chance at a bull or cow in the right area , and we have plenty of areas to make it happen.
Even if not successful you'll learn some things that might just help you be more successful the next time out.
Good luck !

I was told it couldn't be sold for more than the $50 I paid for ticket without repercussions to buyer and myself. I didn't really expect to be drawn, I just figured I was contributing to the preservation and conservation of your land. I would love to get a decent bull but dont want to limit myself too much and eat another elk tag. Just looking for some helpful knowledge is all.
Well said wytex - any elk hunt is a fantastic one.

Cthunter,
One think you should be aware of. You can chose your unit anytime. If you desire to spend a little time in Wyoming prior to hunting. Decision can be made after season is open. I have scouted units doing archery season and then have decided based on many conditions. I have personally hunted several of the top units in the last few years. Happy to help just shoot me a PM

We will have 4 unit 100 elk tags this year so if you want to wait till mid oct you’re more than welcomed to come along with us. We’ve killed a lot of elk over the years. I don’t mind taking new hunters. I’m flying in from AK around the 10th of Oct.

It were me it would be unit 56 type 2 but that’s not in the cards for this situation... I would probably do 22 or 31 if I was doing it DIY, had a week to hunt and no horses. 100 is a slam dunk but not the same quality of bulls as 22 or 31.

It were me it would be unit 56 type 2 but that’s not in the cards for this situation... I would probably do 22 or 31 if I was doing it DIY, had a week to hunt and no horses. 100 is a slam dunk but not the same quality of bulls as 22 or 31.

Ummmmm ok. There is just as big of bulls in 100 as 22 or 31. In fact there’s been higher grossing bulls killed in 100 than 31 or 22 on any given year. You can BS a lot of people but not people that spend a lot of time in those units.

Ummmmm ok. There is just as big of bulls in 100 as 22 or 31. In fact there’s been higher grossing bulls killed in 100 than 31 or 22 on any given year. You can BS a lot of people but not people that spend a lot of time in those units.
Personal opinion is a great thing. Sell the OP on 100 not me. Not sure tagging along with you and 4 other tags is how I’d play a commissioners tag but to each their own ??‍♂️

I had a unit 30 elk tag last year and it was a great hunt. Tons of elk and I got a good bull. It was as fun of an elk hunt as I have been on. But it’s true. You’ve got to look over lots of bulls to find a good one.

Personal opinion is a great thing. Sell the OP on 100 not me. Not sure tagging along with you and 4 other tags is how I’d play a commissioners tag but to each their own ??‍♂️
We know how your Wyoming elk hunt went. And luckily they let you turn in your 57 lope tag too. Hahaha. Laughing. If I had a commissioner tag none of the units mentioned would be on the list that’s for sure.

Still can't be legally sold for more than I paid. Guess trophy bull is the way to go. Sorry if I offended any of you

You have a few options. And real nice offer as well. If you are good people?, I would PM someone right now.
Also. I might sit tight and not schedule the trip - just be fluid & ready to drive out and hit the hills when these same guys say, ‘it’s on fire right now’. And have fun!

Don’t archery hunt! A million things can go wrong and blow up the opportunities you have. As a new guy to elk I would highly recommend a rifle hunt if you want to have good odds of a trophy bull.

With limited time, your best bet would be area 100. You can exit off of I-80 and kill a bull pretty damn easy.

Don't get caught up in all the trophy crap. Go hunt and have yourself a great time! Here's what I would do with only 7 days and I wanted to hunt both seasons: Hunt the last 3-4 days archery. That will be an incredible hunt you will remember forever. If I didn't kill one with my bow, I'd hunt the first 3-4 days of rifle season. You can only do that in 30 or 31. Elk are easy to find and NOT call-wary. In either unit. You should be able to kill a respectable bull(maybe even a 300+ bull); probably a 6-pt. There's plenty of folks on here who would be glad to help you out with either of those tags. DIY all the way.

I think nontypical nailed it. Go hunt 31 with your bow for a couple days. You might get lucky but at minimum it will be great scouting for when you have a rifle in hand. Don't let trophy size sway you away from 31. You will have no trouble finding a 6 point that will look great on your wall.

These are the kind of threads I really enjoy following. You are going to have a great adventure. Please, please, please let us know what you decide and more importantly come back after the hunt and tell us your story.

Yes I would DIY if it was me, you got lucky and drew that tag for 50 bucks. Don't go spend $8,000 on a guide now. Plenty of people will help you in those units. I wish I knew more about them and I would offer you some help. I am sure somebody will jump on and help you if they haven't already.

I have spent a lot of time in the three corners area. I took a 344 bull out of 32 and have hunted that area a lot. I have helped three different buddies with 32 elk tags, two with 31 elk tags, one with a 30 elk tag. I have also helped two different friend with 102 deer tags. I was also lucky enough to draw the antelope tag in the area a couple of times. In total, I have spent over 12 seasons split between 30, 31 and 32.

The benefit of a 30 or 31 tag is you could try the first couple days archery and then go rifle if you didn’t fill your tag. I hunted 2 1/2 weeks when I took my bull. Over two weeks archery and then 1 day rifle. He was one of the three biggest bulls I had seen. I found him archery but could not get it done. I had him patterned pretty well and was able to take him opening day of rifle.

In those units you will see a ton of elk and have a lot of fun. Getting a bigger bull is hard but can be done. Don’t know if I can help you anymore since you took my tag (I also applied for the same draw). JK... In all seriousness, if you would like more detailed info on those three elk units...send me a PM and I can give you a good head start.

Congrats on a great draw and enjoy your hunts. Good luck to everybody in the pending draws.

Good Post BigJohn!

Ct if ya wanna see some pix of the unit, check out this link----

I do photo/scouting/lay of the land/acces type threads over on the Bowsite for guys that can't come out and scout when they have drawn a tag in certain Rocky Mnt states/units/species.

Robb

I have spent a lot of time in the three corners area. I took a 344 bull out of 32 and have hunted that area a lot. I have helped three different buddies with 32 elk tags, two with 31 elk tags, one with a 30 elk tag. I have also helped two different friend with 102 deer tags. I was also lucky enough to draw the antelope tag in the area a couple of times. In total, I have spent over 12 seasons split between 30, 31 and 32.

The benefit of a 30 or 31 tag is you could try the first couple days archery and then go rifle if you didn’t fill your tag. I hunted 2 1/2 weeks when I took my bull. Over two weeks archery and then 1 day rifle. He was one of the three biggest bulls I had seen. I found him archery but could not get it done. I had him patterned pretty well and was able to take him opening day of rifle.

In those units you will see a ton of elk and have a lot of fun. Getting a bigger bull is hard but can be done. Don’t know if I can help you anymore since you took my tag (I also applied for the same draw). JK... In all seriousness, if you would like more detailed info on those three elk units...send me a PM and I can give you a good head start.

Congrats on a great draw and enjoy your hunts. Good luck to everybody in the pending draws.
Thank you, I am leaning toward half archery and half rifle for unit 30. Looks like less tags given for that unit, less hunting pressure I'm assuming. Any details you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I took your tag, lol.

Chris

Unit 30 is a good choice. I live 10 minutes from there. PM me and I'll offer some suggestions on where to go. If you're not familiar with bowhunting, practice self control of your emotions as much as you practice form and accuracy. A screaming bull elk at less than 30 yards while peeing all over himself is an encounter you'll never forget.

How about trading a 600 lb black angus steer(lost of meat) for that tag LOL
I hope you follow NT advice hunt a few days with a bow if that is the way you want and if you have to pull out the rifle and get it done.

Thank you, I am leaning toward half archery and half rifle for unit 30. Looks like less tags given for that unit, less hunting pressure I'm assuming. Any details you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated. Sorry I took your tag, lol.

Chris
Go for it and enjoy the hunt!!! Sounds like a plan 1/2 and 1/2!!

Hello all from Ct, I'm new to this site. I recently won a commisioners tag and was hoping to get some help on unit selection. I'd ideally like to go last week in September through 1st week october being that it looks like I can start with bow and if unsuccessful switch to rifle 10/1 in some units. I've been researching the units and it seems like areas 30 and 31 might give me a good chance. If anyone has hunted these units or has experience in another, I'd really appreciate the help. Not looking for specific locations but rather how my chances would be at getting into elk. Being a 1st, any elk would be a trophy. Thanks in advance
My buddy lives in Wyoming he knows the best units. Can you hunt in any unit in the whole state with that tag?

Harvested a 355 on September 23 2018 in unit 32. Hunted DIY and it was truly an amazing experience. We hunted right on the Colorado border with elk crossing out of Colorado to feed at night on the Wyoming side and heading back into the timber of Colorado to bed. Unit 201 in Colorado takes @25 points to draw, I had 12 Wyoming points hunting the same elk . Saw a couple other bulls in the same 350 category .

Servetheinternethunters...post that 355 bull!
And. Might be better to PM the OP so not to upset the apple cart here. Took you 12 points, now its going to take me 25 points.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom