Wyoming General

Mooretitan

I am looking at this all wrong. My son (14) and dad (61) drew Wyoming general elk. The bulk of scouting and gathering information falls onto my shoulders. The plan is to come out in late July/August depending on some family issues to scout a few units that I have narrowed it down to. I have talked to the Bios and have a good feel that we should hopefully get into elk. One is a little more pressured than the other but has strong elk numbers. The other one is a little more remote and will require a lot more boot leather which is fine.

My question is if decide on the second unit is my mule deer mentality effecting the areas that I am looking at. For the second unit were looking at something more Western Wyoming and from google earth I keep looking at these great basins that I want to get into but again I like the looks of them because they look like areas that I like to hunt for mule deer. We will be rifle hunting and plan to spend roughly 7-8 days hunting. Hopefully everything works out and I can get there this summer to get a better feel for whats going on. I doubt we will draw this tag again for another 5-6 years with point creep. So its not like I can just learn from my mistakes year to year.

Also need to decide with we want to stick with a late Sept opening or go with the Oct opening. Either one we will be mostly doing day hunts from base camp with the chance of backing in for a day or two if needed.

Thanks again

In my experience deer and elk may be in the same general area but use different habitat within that area. They feed on different things and as a general rule bed in different types of cover. Yes, you will see them crossing paths here and there but overall elk displace deer.

I am sure they will just trying to talk myself into not going to high if we choose the Oct. 15th date. For some reason I also have to get to the top and take another look on the other side.
Lots to think about.
Rifle hunt in the rut with a Sept 26th opening
Rifle hunt in Oct when the deer hunters have finished up
Go to a high pressure unit but also a unit with lots of elk.

It would be easier if I just lived there. maybe someday

By Oct 15, the snow could decide for you. One thing to keep in mind is the deer move down first with little snow, the elk hang longer. The last bull I got was after hunting in our favorite area for a week, maybe an inch or two of snow mostly in timber, seeing only ONE elk during that time. Then after a 6 inch snow, suddenly we had elk everywhere. Guess the point is- the elk in July/August may well be somewhere else in October. Also, in the area we hunt, the elk seem to bunch up more than years ago, guessing due to wolves.

If you had more time you could hunt multiple openers and multiple general areas on the tag...hunting rutting elk and snow storms. The beautiful wyo general tag.

Wyoming does give you a lot of things to think about. Right now we are looking at some of the units in the 80's/90's. Pretty much have it narrowed down to two units. Have to decide if we want to rifle hunt at the end of Sept or mid Oct. We will be taking two weeks off of work which should give us enough time to get it done hopefully. Success rates look good and we are willing to put some work in.
Would like to set up a nice base camp and have the option of backpacking in for a couple days if needed.
Thanks

Plans are coming together. Few more things to figure out but more than anything its time to get in shape. Got to bust it pretty hard the next 4 months.

My experience is limited as I live in Ohio and only make it out west once every year or so. But what I can tell you......when you ditch the other hunters, you will find game.

Wyoming does give you a lot of things to think about. Right now we are looking at some of the units in the 80's/90's. Pretty much have it narrowed down to two units. Have to decide if we want to rifle hunt at the end of Sept or mid Oct. We will be taking two weeks off of work which should give us enough time to get it done hopefully. Success rates look good and we are willing to put some work in.
Would like to set up a nice base camp and have the option of backpacking in for a couple days if needed.
Thanks
I drew a general tag as well and hope to get into some bugling elk this fall

Have you thought about archery hunting? Waaaay less people and great weather. Elk haven't been pushed around unless you hunt a unit that opens for rifle deer in Sept. Get up close and personal!! It's one of the most exciting hunts!!

I would love to bow hunt it but my son is on the smaller side of 14 and I don't think he would be able to pull back a bow with enough poundage to get it done.

40# and 12” of penetration will put a good 3 blade into the center of the lungs and a dead bull in 15 seconds. Go to a 2 blade and he’ll have a pass thru and the same result.
the key is to put it in the center of the lungs

Thats a matter of a opinion i wouldnt trust 40 lbs if it hit a rib 40 pounds will get it done but theres allot that can go wrong if it were my son id rather he use a crossbow until he could pull more poundage but like i said all opinion

There are few areas in Western Wyoming that aren't pressured for elk in the rifle season, especially if avoiding wilderness areas (guide required for NR). Of course this is relative - it isn't like most CO units!

Plan to get away from the crowds, but don't expect to be alone.

As stated above, the weather can decide for you in October, even late September some years! It is pretty rare to see elk feeding out in high basin mule deer country once the first shot is fired. Elk like cover to survive the rifle hunt.

Bill

40# and 12” of penetration will put a good 3 blade into the center of the lungs and a dead bull in 15 seconds. Go to a 2 blade and he’ll have a pass thru and the same result.
the key is to put it in the center of the lungs
50# minimum in Wyoming for elk. Crossbow maybe for the son for archery?

Tags for my dad and son just came in the mail. We will focus on rifle this year. He is just to small and doesn't have enough experience with a bow to make it happen this year. I am sure the next tag we get in Wyoming for elk will be an archery trip.
I have looked over enough go hunt and google earth to make my eyes hurt. Now its just hoping everything works out this summer so we can get a scouting trip in. Seeing the lay of the land before hunting season will help my stress level. We will have roughly 10-14 days of hunting so hopefully we can figure it out. I know my dad will probably shoot the 1st legal bull he sees. My son on the other hand has high hopes of a nice bull.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom