Wyoming Hunt

NebrCatMan

Hey all..........have been hunting in Colo the past few years in OTC units...bowhunting. I know if your going to apply for a permit in Wyoming it has to be in by end of Jan. Just wondering, if someone wants to comment, what is the chance of drawing a permit to bowhunt for first time applicant.....I know some areas are hard to draw.......what about the Wyoming system in general to get permits.....units etc. I am at work now and will have to study the webb site for game and fish when I get home. Just too busy trapping and calling now to sit at the pc all nite! Anybody looking to wanna hunt SE Nebr. someday? Trade hunts or Info??????

There are some good areas to hunt WY that are relatively easyt to draw. But from my experience they are not really any better than CO areas.... I will admit that WY is nice due to the ability to hunt archery then show back up for rifle. I am vested in WY Points system Now and really I wish I had not got in, I missed the 1st year and now there are some 1600 people ahead of me in the points and another 1600 or so with me. Good units in WY have not reached max points yet, it will be years before we see the guys with max points buy out and stabilize the system. For now we are stuck looking for our chances based on last year. The units I would hunt are like less than 10% odds with max points.

That being said, it is not difficult to draw a tag that would be very similar to OTC archery unit in CO. On the flip side you get the added bonus of going back with a rifle.

Also if you looking at moving from CO and hunting WY every year, know that tag prices are set to jump a pretty good chunk come next year.

If you want to pay, you can enter the "special draw" which increases your odds in most cases but it also cost a bunch more...

If anything I am a little different than most, I prefer deer hunting WY and elk hunting CO.

Hey, thanks alot 96. I am not a resident of Colo. but I live in SE Nebr. Have been in Wyoming on a rifle hunt just outside the wilderness southeast of yellowstone. But my first love is to bowhunt during the rut. We have been to Colo. in a couple units the last couple of years or so, came close to killing some cows and one bull. But could not get the deal done. I have all the gear for a tent camp........so even if hunting is a bust we still enjoy the mountains and just the fact we can get away for a week or so. When we were up in Wyoming last time we camped in a unit......I think it was 81....we had forrest fires and then wet snow and then cold. Got down to 3 above but the wood stove roared all nite and we we dry and comfy.Too many bears and wolves and elk numbers were way down ......outfitters said bears and wolves were why. Just looking to try to research a new area........see some new country..meet a few new outdoor lovers and hunters. Filling a tag is a bonus. I have a Dr. buddy just moved to Casper a couple years ago. He is a single dad and him and his son are hunters. We may go around there. If tags can be gotten,. Are the elk bugling and rutting during the bow season in Wyoming? Lots of questions. Just wondering where in Wyoming a non resident can have a chance to get a tag and have a good hunt. Thanks!!!!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-04-13 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]I had time tonight and ran through the PP draw for all the archery only hunts (A/0)to see what you might have a chance at drawing with no PPs in 2013. Here they are:
52/53,55,and 56 are the only ones.
59 had a 67% chance
60 had a 50% chance
Several others took <1PP or 1PP for a 100% chance and all these untis open on 9/1 and should catch the September rut.

Just about all the regular draw units for rifle tags that would then also allow archery hunting with the $35 permit will take PPs to draw a tag.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom