Wyoming moose question?

bschnoor

Hi guys....I'm considering trying to draw a Wyoming moose hunt next year. I'm curious if any of the units have open glassing type country? I've never hunted them, so I'm just gathering some early information. Thanks - Brian

We have two types of moose in the state. Forest moose that are found in the parks and meadows and the willow moose that live in the willow bottoms. They don't travel a whole lot from their area except during rut. The forest moose are a whole lot better eating, but harder to hunt. Willow moose can tend to have a willow taste to them if they have been living in the willows for a prolonged period of time. I haven't hunted on the east side of the state, but the west side has quite a few areas that can be glassed. Area 25 is one of them. Very difficult to draw and if you don't have any points, it could take 15 years + unless you have a lot of luck.

bkhunter

Thanks bkhunter, I currently have six points. Do you happen to know the dates of the hunt, or if I could even draw with that many points? Thanks - Brian

BSCHNOOR, I CAN TELL YOU REAL QUICK. I NEED TO KNOW --RESIDENT OR NON RES. WYOM. WEBSITE HAS ALL THE POINTS BREAKDOWN. I'M GOING IN 2006, 2 POINTS OVER MAX. WILL DRAW AT 100%. SEVERAL UNITS TO CHOOSE FROM, SOME OF THE BETTER UNITS HAVE BEEN BEATEN UP BY WOLVES. BE CAREFUL OF YOUR UNIT PICK, DO SOME MAJOR RESEARCH. SAW 7 BULLS IN THE SAME DRAINAGE LAST WYOM. MOOSE HUNT, IT WAS FUN. THE MEAT IS THE BEST. GOOD LUCK, YD.

I believe if you go to the Wyoming department of game website, you can print out drawing statistics. Its either by itself or in the regs. I can't remember. It wil tell you abou t what level of points you will need to get drawn for each unit. Remember that the application will now cost you about an extra 100 this year. I can't answer any of your other questions, sorry. Another good question would be how much public land that is not wilderness is in each unit, unless you plan to have an outfitter.

Thanks guys! I am a non resident. I know I just prefer to hunt open country, so I am trying to figure out which units have that type of habitat! Thanks - Brian

Look at unit 26 (big area). Lots of public land. All types of terrain for moose. The quality is off a bit (like most areas in Wyo), but a guy can still have a heck of a hunt. I've taken 2 moose from this unit, and been in on several more kills.

Look for the draw odds to skyrocket on moose in 2006, because there are lots of guys with high point numbers (like YUKON DALL) who will apply for the tag rather than buy the $75 peference point. Best of luck to both you and YD in the draw!

LAST EDITED ON Nov-23-05 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]BSCHNOOR, UNIT 25=100% DRAW WITH 5 POINTS. UNIT 26=100% DRAW WITH 6 POINTS. YOUR IN BUSINESS, UNLESS EVERYONE DUMPS THEIR POINTS BECAUSE OF THE $$$ INCREASE ON COST OF POINTS/ NOT LIKELY TO HAPPEN. GOOD LUCK, YD. ( ON SECOND THOUGHT DWALTON MAY HAVE A POINT).

I would try to draw in any of the areas in the Bighorns. With 6 points, you will have to be might lucky. Heck, if you can draw a tag in one of the other areas, you may as well go for it.

I'm in the same boat with 6 points and a have spent quite a bit of time in most of the southwestern units. I'm afraid that a unit like 26 that has taken 6 points in the past is going to jump atleast to 7 this year if not more.

There are A LOT of guys that have just been buying points the past several years. I know several with 6 or more that have never applied, but will likely apply this year with the price increase.

Still not sure what I'll do. $75 is still alot easier to part with. Being w/o the $1200 plus for several months may not go over to well with the wife!:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom