Wyoming Options

cmbbulldog

Very Active Member
I have 6 points, and I am at least contemplating burning my points this year on a hunt in Wyoming. I have narrowed down my choices and would like opinions/input from the experts. I believe I can draw the following choices.

Unit 61 - I have looked long and hard at this unit, and even contemplated using Bob Sundeen as an outfitter. I even chatted with Bob last year, and I think he runs a quality outfit.... but I have a real tough time doing a guided hunt when I really dont want to or spend the money quite frankly. I did inquire about resident help here...

http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID35/2871.html

ANd if any residents plan on applying, I still wouldnt mind talking to you. Is there non-wilderness area in 61 that a hunter to do and get into some elk?

Next option I am heavily considering is a type 9 38 tag. I have a person that hunted this unit fairly recently that would help me out with some pretty decent spots. I dont mind archery hunting at all... but with 6 points I wouldnt mind having the rifle tag to fall back on. Any other opinions on this tag?

The last unit I am starting to consider is the Shirley Basin in unit 16. Through my research though, it seems as though much of the huntable elk areas are occupied by a couple large ranches. How is the access here? Is there enough huntable land (with elk) to make this a hunt worth spending 6 points on?

The last thing is that I certainly dont mind paying a trespass fee if thats what it takes. I am keeping a close eye on Yukons post in the WY forum. I dont want to go fully guided, but would pay a reasonable trespass fee to access some good hunting ground.

Thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Good question. I guess it would depend on how much land I had access to, quality/quantity of animals, etc. I have never paid a trespass fee, so I dont really know the answer. I was probably thinking 500-1000 would be reasonable... but Im not opposed to paying a little more if the situation warranted it.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-14 AT 08:27PM (MST)[p]IMHO if you (1) have someone that can help you in 38 like you stated and (2) you also have enough time like it sounds and (3) you like to bowhunt, I'd draw the 38-9 tag and hunt as many days up there as you can on a DIY with him and save the high outfitter expense. You really can't beat the BigHorns for a September bow hunt and you will probably have a great chance at a real good bull during the rut even though you can't fall back with a rifle if you draw it.

I don't see you finding a $500-$1,000 trespass fee hunt for elk in Wyoming for a quality bull...maybe for a cow elk hunt. Elk are big business and the ranchers know it. It'd be money wasted for them to offer a trespass hunt at those prices...easier for them to lease to an outfitter or get an outfitter's license themselves and charge $4,500 for a hunt. The ones that aren't locked up usually just save it for close family...good luck.

>I don't see you finding a
>$500-$1,000 trespass fee hunt for
>elk in Wyoming for a
>quality bull...maybe for a cow
>elk hunt. Elk are
>big business and the ranchers
>know it. It'd be
>money wasted for them to
>offer a trespass hunt at
>those prices...easier for them to
>lease to an outfitter or
>get an outfitter's license themselves
>and charge $4,500 for a
>hunt. The ones that
>aren't locked up usually just
>save it for close family...good
>luck.

Thanks for the response. Like I said, I dont have a good feel for what folks charge. From another thread...

"On the Hoo Doo Ranch. Its a $500 dollar trespassing fee with some monster bulls. 350+ bull is high chance."

If that ranch is charging $500 and a 350+ bull is a "high chance", I was thinking 500-1000 is reasonable in most places, but maybe not....

Regardless... any opinions on the 38 hunt? Access into unit 16?

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-06-14
>AT 08:27?PM (MST)

>
>IMHO if you (1) have someone
>that can help you in
>38 like you stated and
>(2) you also have enough
>time like it sounds and
>(3) you like to bowhunt,
>I'd draw the 38-9 tag
>and hunt as many days
>up there as you can
>on a DIY with him
>and save the high outfitter
>expense. You really can't
>beat the BigHorns for a
>September bow hunt and you
>will probably have a great
>chance at a real good
>bull during the rut even
>though you can't fall back
>with a rifle if you
>draw it.

Thanks for the reply.

"On the Hoo Doo Ranch. Its a $500 dollar trespassing fee with some monster bulls. 350+ bull is high chance."

I would be shocked and first in line if that's what they are charging.

I have Hunted on a Ranch South of there near Thermopolis several times but they are getting $2995 for a Tresspass Fee these days.Not sure what there getting in other units but Elk Hunting can get expensive when you start paying guiding/Tresspass Fees.

With 6 points you can draw a good unit i would just draw one and go huning.

I feel you, it's a tough egg to crack. There are people on this site that drew that Hoo Doo tag, paid the fee and went home empty. Others did well. Most all the good elk area in 16 is locked up with outfitters. There is also some great outfitted elk hunting south of Rawlins on big ranches, on both of those options a 320 bull is realistic with a chance at better. Unless I was strictly a hard core bowhunter with a lot of experience under my belt I wouldn't waste points on a bow hunt only option. For the right guy its a great option, but you need to be the right guy (I have no idea). If you have a lot of time area 118 might be a possiblity for you...I've hunted that area twice and there are some ranches there that will let you on for free and some public in the north part that holds elk. A 280-300 bull there would be realistic with a chance at a better one.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom