Wyoming Region G Packer

I drew Region G deer this year and I don't have the same quality of legs and back that I had when I did it 9 years ago backpack style. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good option that would be willing to do a drop camp style hunt? Take me back in 8-10 miles drop me off for 6 days and then come back and pick me gear and deer.

You’ve got to hire an outfitter for drop camps and packing services. They can’t just drop camp anywhere either, it has to be a certain number of miles from all other outfitter camps, which limits things immensely.
I think many outfitters have plenty of clients too, so I’m not sure how many are interested in screwing around with drop camps. And if they are willing to dump you somewhere, who knows how great it’ll be. They probably won’t put you in a spot they plan to take guided clients, so who knows where it could be.
Maybe you could rent goats or llamas? Horses if you have experience?
The scenery up there this year ought to be as good as ever! Ha ha Not sure what to think on deer just yet.

Thanks for all the good Intel founder. That is what I needed to know. I do have experience with horses and enough to know that using them can be a double-edged sword while hunting. It's almost like you need a camp manager to babysit the horses while you hunt. I do know a few good areas up there where I am fairly confident I can find some good bucks in the 180 class and maybe something bigger. I've heard that the winter kill for adult is 45%. But I'm sure there are still some good 5-year-old bucks that made it through. Some of the areas I am familiar with don't have much if any water up high which is a problem for going in on horses. I have seen some of the YouTube videos of guys using llamas and goats but I have no experience with them. I love hunting that area and this may be my last time so want to make the best of it. If I can get someone to go with me maybe I will go the horse rental route.

Thanks for all the good Intel founder. That is what I needed to know. I do have experience with horses and enough to know that using them can be a double-edged sword while hunting. It's almost like you need a camp manager to babysit the horses while you hunt. I do know a few good areas up there where I am fairly confident I can find some good bucks in the 180 class and maybe something bigger. I've heard that the winter kill for adult is 45%. But I'm sure there are still some good 5-year-old bucks that made it through. Some of the areas I am familiar with don't have much if any water up high which is a problem for going in on horses. I have seen some of the YouTube videos of guys using llamas and goats but I have no experience with them. I love hunting that area and this may be my last time so want to make the best of it. If I can get someone to go with me maybe I will go the horse rental route.
45% is the lowest estimate I've seen. I got this from the local biologist a few weeks ago..

1686754502327.png

Have a family friend here in Utah that uses goats. He says they are easy peasy... but taking a critter does make the water situation a bit more worrisome. Good luck to ya.!!

I could be wrong but I’ve hunted G and H many times and I tried several times about 10-15 years ago to get a drop camp setup and all outfitters I talked to said they could not do a drop camp because of regulations. I didn’t pull the string to find out the reasoning. Back during that time outfitter websites still stated they did drop camps and I called their attention to that and they said “we don’t do that anymore”.

I assume liability because what if somebody moved locations or wanted out of the backcountry early. Etc etc.

I do know every state is different about those regs and I know of a few states that still do. I did a quick look on google and it appears that drop camps are still advertised for WY but maybe you’ll have better luck finding out that info for the area you seek to hunt in.

With that said. I’ve rented horses and llamas to get in there and highly recommend llama rentals from Wilderness Llamas (had great experience renting 2x).

45% is the lowest estimate I've seen. I got this from the local biologist a few weeks ago..

View attachment 114403
That’s the same numbers i have seen and from my first couple of trips out this summer I 100% believe that info…the deer herd got decimated this last winter and it will take years to come back? The does that did survive didn’t carry their fawns, I have only seen 2 fawns this summer!

I wonder what the difference is as I’ve seen a bunch of doe with fawns, I dare say more than half the doe I’ve seen had at least one, a good number with twins.
Probably location, i am mostly talking unit 135…the southern unit the makes up region G. I definitely think the deer in region H and some of the more northern parts of G faired a little better then down here, we got hammered further south.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom