Wyoming Region K

4ptrbst

Headed up this weekend to check things out. Going to look in the medicine butte area bear river divide and some walk in areas, not sure what to expect but it will be nice to get out, and hopefully see some deer and some great country. Anyone hunted region K in the past with some pictures to get the juices really flowing?

Don't expect too much.From what I've seen and heard this year,region K is hurting.Lots of winterkill,and not just fawns.Hopefully you can find a shooter buck.I've all but given up trying to find a buck over 170 in K this year.

I'm headed up also- with all the doom and gloom that has been forcast lately, not expecting much- but any excuse to head to the hills is good enough. Just hoping to see some hope for the future years. I was really hoping to hunt with my son this year- had to turn his tag in last year- military obligations- and he had work/family conflicts this year- but that gives me incentive to pass over the little fellers and let them grow for next year.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-01-11 AT 05:30PM (MST)[p]I'm a little worried about the winter kill this last year. I'm not looking for anything huge (even though it would be nice) just a respectable 4 point 140-150 I would be happy with. I will have a couple of my youngsters along with and i'm sure they would love to see one on the ground.

if your looking for a decent buck, you might have to wait tell rifle season and try the north end of the unit. winter kill was bad but the bucks that did make it threw are not bad, seen a few in the 160 to 170 a bunch in the 150 range but the wont come out tell last light. good luck

p.s bear river divide is already a mad house of people

Went up last weekend and looked over alot of the unit. Saw a few nice ones but not as many deer as I had hoped. Had a couple kids with me which prevented from hiking much. Headed up again this weekend to look some more. Hopefully I can find a good one to try and get on.

WOW!! We went up last night looking around. Areas where we would see herds of deer held nothing. Didn't see a single deer during happy hour in areas where I watched 5 bucks feed at one time last year. The only deer we saw were after dark and we had to look hard. 10 total deer on a trip that would have yielded close to 100 last year at the same time. This is not good, I'm afraid this herd may never recover to what it once was. Other areas may not have been hit as hard, but comparing this area to what it was the last few years is sad.

Layemdown

"Vegetables are not food, vegetables are what food eats!!"

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-11 AT 04:50PM (MST)[p]I have news for you people this area has been in bad shape long before this last winter took out most the deer.It has been miss managed by the game and fish to the point they should be locked behind bars for what they have done to K. To start off with its down fall In the early 90's the kemmerer biologist decided to issue multiple doe fawn permits per person there was people going out and killing 3 or more deer a year and just throwing the deer in there yards and letting there dogs eat them and this went on for several years then the winter of 93 came and hammered the deer killing even more. To counter act there giant mistake they lowered the season to 7 days I believe or maybe 5 cant rememberer although good in theory the herds never came back. And to make matters worse they extended the season to a full 14 days after the winter of 2008 which was alot worse than this past winter of 2010. More deer died in the winter of 2008 than in 93 and 2010 in my opinoin. So before everybody start blaming the 2010 winter on the poor herd numbers in k please realize thats not the entire reason only part of it. And its just not K, G and H are hurting just as bad if not worse in my opinoin.

Not sure all the reasons why the deer herds are suffering but with this being my first year to hunt Wyoming I really don't know any different but with all the doom and gloom I still hope to make it a memorable one. I'm sure with hard work and patience it will be. I'll be hitting it hard again this weekend. Good luck to all going out or are already out.

Yes good luck to you, my question is. How can you scout it very hard when it says in the HMA access rules there is no scouting? I am only talking about the HMA areas. I can understand going on the county roads but anywhere else on the private seems kind of iffy. Just my thoughts.
KLM

With an archery tag you are allowed on most of the HMA's to hunt Sept 1st - 30th. Most HMA's have unlimited trespass vouchers for archery. The only HMA we are not allowed on for archery is the coyote creek HMA. For the rifle season I will be allowed on Knight Ridge, Bear River for the whole rifle season and Medicine butte Oct. 1st - 7th. Hope this helps clarify some.

You can scout bear river and knight ridge starting August 15th.

Layemdown

"Vegetables are not food, vegetables are what food eats!!"

I've been scouting both. The Night Ridge, where we usually see clusters of deer,holds nothing, and I mean nothing. We watched from our one spotting spot until dark and saw zero deer. We were watching a huge chunk of ground. We saw a few on Painter Ground, all does and fawns,except for two small bucks. I have seen a very few on that side while traveling the freeway. Out north of town, I spent one morning traveling the open two tracks. There hadn't been anyone on some of these and I saw "zero" again. Two nights ago I traveled the whole top of Bear River Divide "all" the way, and stopping to scope and glass the drainages saw about 15 does and fawns, and this was as someone stated, the happy hour. Not one buck, not even a button horn. So, as most have stated, this end of the state is going to be a tough hunt. I'm sure there are a few out there, but it's nothing like most of us are used to. Just go and enjoy the family, friendship, and sunshine, and hope for better hunts in the future.

Goldberg I'll try to call tomorrow sometime. I am wondering if we get an early snow or cold spell if any deer would move into any of the units? Anyone have any thoughts?

4pt,

The lower deer numbers this year is directly tied to the extremely brutal winter we had last year. Upwards of 70% of last years fawns died, with higher than normal adult deer mortality.

Best of luck to you on your hunt!

I've been Scouting Region K a little over the last couple weeks and I have been very discouraged. I think I'm gonna have to agree with Layemdown. Heading into the hills that once held tons of deer and seeing nearly nothing is devastating. I agree that region k may have been on the decline, but having seen the change from last year to this year its obviously due to the harsh winter. I've considered turning in my tag. It really is sad to see this.

Swagger

I am new to this sight but have been looking at it for a while now. I have been scouting wyoming region k for a while now and have seen very little in the way of deer I have been from Green river to Evanston From what I have seen the deer herd is really struggling. I even whent up into the wasastch national forest and did not even see a deer in a evening and a morning.It sure looks like it could be a really difficult hunt. Just wondering if most everybody else is seeing the same problem.

+1.Like I said in the first post,K is looking pretty bleak,as is G.If everyone hunting these units would limit themselves to only taking a mature buck this year,they will rebound much quicker.

Well went out last weekend and saw a couple nice bucks and even a few elk but not very many deer. I didn't see any deer on the medicine butte but I was in there in the middle of the day so that is probably why. Good luck to all those going out. Anyone know anybody with land that would allow trespass for a minimal fee?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom