Wyoming Unit 114 - HELP

deadI

Very Active Member
Okay guys. My dad just bought my brother one of the left over tags for Wyoming unit 114 for Antelope. We have never set foot in the unit. (I know shame on us) He is planning on taking the family up for a vacation and figured a hunt is as good as a vacation as it gets. He is wondering what the unit is like as far as animals (number and quality) and also is there decent access or is it allot of private property. He might not get a chance to go up scouting so it will probably be a "go in blind hunt" So if any of you are feeling generous and would like to give out a few tips we would be grateful. Thanks.

DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

LAST EDITED ON Jul-06-11 AT 10:45AM (MST)[p]

First off, why did he buy that license without knowing what he was doing? The few (less than double digits) unit wide Type 1 buck licenses take a lot of PPs to draw and were sold out after the initial draw in June! Somehow they came out with a few type 2 licenses that are only good on school section land and possibly private property. They weren't even listed in the application booklet for some reason and I've never seen that happen before. That has to be the license he bought because the leftover doe licenses aren't even on sale until 7/20. He should have inquired about them because he's basically in a world of hurt as they are only good for a very few sections here and there and definitely NOT the entire unit like it sounds you think they are! Finding those small legal sections of trust land are almost impossible and not trespassing or shooting one on the rest of the BLM land is going to be more than a little tricky unless you have a CD ROM showing the property ownership like I do and then you have to print yourself a map with exact waypoints you need to stay within to be legal. You better pray they are good for private land over by Worland and that he can find a rancher to pay for access! Send me a PM and I'll try to help you because I'm very familiar with the unit, most of which the locals call "The Badlands" for a reason, and it isn't really a place for a family vacation like you mentioned! In fact, I'll be out in that unit the first week of October doing some deer and coyote hunting and they might want to hook up with me for help if they even decide to go ahead with the hunt, which I would discourage for reasons I have stated. This is exactly why people should not just go in helter skelter and buy a license not knowing what they are doing or what the license is good for!!! To be very honest and upfront with you, he may have wasted almost $300 of his hard-earned money!

I am going to have to agree with topgun on this one. This hunt is a type 2 hunt and is for private and state ground only! You will have to get a map and some sort of special decoder ring to figure out wich is state which is private and wich is BLM it will be very hard to find the right property and to find the antelope on that right property. good luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom