wyoming unit 26 moose

jetlag

I was wondering if anyone could give me some insight about unit 26 moose. Terrain?, access? I drew the tag and will have limited time to hunt as I am coaching youth football. Is it still possible to kill one with a bow in early Sept or do you need the rut in order to get close? I have hunted many species of big game but know absolutely nothing about moose behavior. I am not looking for honey holes just a general overview on what to expect.
thanks in advance

I hunted 26 in the pre-wolf days, when there were moose in almost any drainage up there. I don't know what has happened since then, but I do know there are a lot less moose to go around. We found moose from the sage flat/quakie pockets all the way up to the top of the pine covered mountains. They seem to range all over.
It is variable country but don't overlook any of it.
Back then, I called the biologist in the area (still a good idea) and one thing he told me that seemed to be good advice was, don't just concentrate on one area, but get in your vehicle and cover as much country as you can, glassing as you go. He said you will see more moose that way and have more to pick over. Then once you find a bull of your liking, then you can get out and hunt him.
There are lots of roads in 26 and an ATV might be a great tool.
I would do as much pre-scouting as you can and get your assistant coach to cover for you because this is the only Wyoming Moose tag you will ever get.(pretty much once in a lifetime). PM me if you have more questions and good luck. I had a great hunt.

26 is a good unit and the one I continue to ut myself in for. Hopefully one day I to will get to hunt it for myself. Good luck and keep us informed on the hunt and your success!!!

i JUST GOT BACK FROM A TRIP IN 26 SINCE THURSDAY.

Wet and cold and just wonderful!

Saw a couple Velvet Moose and 2 cows with calves...way nice.

Robb

A good friend of mine hunted it two years ago and over the course of two weeks of hunting never found a bull that was even in the high 30's. All small bulls. I have hunted deer and elk there many times and have seen some really nice bulls but not any for the last couple of years. It has all types of terrain, water, roads, limited access. All in how you want to hunt.

I hunted 26 last year. You will see moose, but finding the big one is tough as always. There are as many moose in the sage brush as their are on the mountaintops. Lots of roads in the sage brush country, which makes spotting very easy. An ATV is a big asset. There is a significant amount of roadless area in the north of the unit. Tough mountains, thick forest, and moose are here too if you can find them. A fair amount of private property in the lower elevations, but not a problem overall. PM if you have specific questions.
I shot a small bull as he had the nerve to stand on the side of a two track and stare at me for too long. I was able to drive up and load him whole. Not the norm in most of the unit.
Bill

I spend most of my time in the north part of 26 and as Bill has stated it is no ATV nor motor vehicle access which is why I like the north part more better........

Not sure if it is 'him' Bill, but I saw a pretty nice velvet bull last week up there in the area we chatted about last year on your tag.

He should be a real dandy this year----!

Robb

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom