X-zone archery buck

Sorry, screwed it up the 1st time. Hopefully they're on here now.

4aa1306c2f06a004.jpg

4aa1309b2fe16d30.jpg

Awesome Slayer! Nice looking buck in good looking country.

Any hunt story to go along with the pic's? Thanks!!!

Joey

The story goes like this. 1st weekend, my parnter and I glassed a legitament 30" 4x4 feeding with a 24" 6x8 in a big sage flat below the knob we were on. So the next day went back up that knob and ended up missing the 6x8 at 56 yds as he blew outta his bed after a stalk. Pretty bummed, I was driving back to camp and a group of 8 bucks crossed the road right in front of the truck. In the group was a bunch of forkies, a 3pt, the buck I took, and a 24-25" 4pt. I spent the next week trying to get back on that 6x8 with no luck. Another tag holder ended up killing the 30"er and bumped the 6x8 clear outta the county! During that week long adventure for the big buck, I kept coming across the group of 8 bucks about the same time every evening. Went back the next weekend and hunted a group of 4 bucks, getting under 200 yds several times on them but couldn't quite pull it off. Sage grouse spooking them, wind switching, and even a local pulling up and target shooting in the same draw I was doing a stalk on the bucks in. After that I gave up and was pretty down in the dumps as it was my last night to hunt. I had just a few hours of light remaining, so I set out for the group of 8 I'd kept seeing. Drove over to their area, glassed everywhere with no luck. Got back in the truck, started it and they jumped up about 30 yds off the road! never fails. They spooked off. So I grabbed my pack and headed out after them. They would always run through the same escape route, so I headed for it to cut them off. We all got there at the same time. I could see all the smaller bucks in a group but none of the 3 larger bucks. Then the 4pt walked out and right into the middle of the smaller bucks with no shot opp. I was stuck in the wide open and pegged. They ran down the rock chute escape route and were gone. Then the 3pt and the 3x4 stepped out from behind a juniper. Ranged them at 71 yds. took my shot. Shot felt good, buck jumped and kicked when the arrow hit him. I went back to the truck and gave them 1.5 hrs. Headed out to where he was when i shot him. Found my arrow covered in blood, but very little blood on the ground. I could follow his tracks and started out in that direction, only to look up and he was bedded not 30 yds away from where I shot him. Of course he spooked when he saw me and ran off, but I could see blood on behind his shoulder that was facing me when I shot. I just backed out and gave him the night as dark was only about 10 minutes away. Headed out the next morning to find him only about 4-500 yds from where I shot him. I'd only hit 1 lung and no heart, I guess thats what took him so long. He ended up 21" outside and 4x3 with eyeguards. Definitely not the biggest buck, but I was more than happy with him and the best part was the road below the buck was only about 200 yds from where he came to rest.

BTslayer, Great story!!!!! And glad to hear there are still a 30"er or two up there. I guessing you're only a mile or two off of the highway??? Think you're right where I cut several cords of juniper a few years back. I won't get any more specific on here. Anyways, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom