X Zone Question

Is it Kevin Garnett Forever? :)

Oh, X zones. The better units of course are going to take more points. There are a few that i or most anybody would love to hunt that max points still gives less than even chance of drawing. There are also some that can be hunted often, if not most years. I myself drew pretty good in 2005, so i'm sitting where i now could again draw a decent tag with 4 points... or i could wait another year or two and again draw my preferred tag.

What zones are you interested in? Some following me can tell you better when your choices are known. Hope that helps!!

Joey

Kevin Garnett, thats it! I currently have 4 points as well. Looking at X9,X5, and X12. Thanks for the info.

4 points will go a long way!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

To my way of thinking, X-5b is probably out of the question unless you draw a random tag and X5a is a maybe at best. The others you mentioned, i don't know much about.

I generally hunt 5a, when i can draw, and will vouch that IMO, it is a very hard unit to kill a good buck in, Very hard! I love the country but the last time i hunted it, 2005, i hit it every day, all day, the whole season, and covered a lot of ground only to end up taking a medium nice 3 pointer on the last weekend and i know of a bunch who never even saw a legal buck and went home empty.

Joey

Kinda thought that about 5b. Maybe I will just get more points and then go from there. Thanks for all the info.

I do not want to burn 4 points on x9. Just wanted to see what you guys thought about the different x zones. Thanks for all the input.

I thought there was an exceptionally good tag in the area around Bishop? Tough tag to draw but really good bucks on a late hunt? If you PM me I do know lots about one of the X zones not mentioned here so far.

Kevin4ever, IMO I wouldn't waste any points in 5B. Why??? I'm out there 20-30 times a year and have been for the last 15-18 years. THE DEER HERD IS ALMOST NON-EXISTANT NOW!!

I have no vested interest as I didn't even apply for a PP in Kali last year. Nov-Jan I hunt chukar an average of once a week out there. I used to enjoy seeing those big bucks but now I'm surprised when I see a deer.

Since Jan 1 I've been out there 6 times. I saw 4 does and my dog picked up a deer leg bone, thats it.

x3a?? Great advice in my opinion.

>Take a look at X3A. Some
>big bucks and not as
>hard to draw as some
>of the X zones.

I agree with you BigMass on X3A. I was Antelope hunting up there a few years ago and that zone looks very good. I saw a lot of deer and a couple of really nice bucks. If I decide to burn my points that is the zone I will pick.

HOW IS THE DEER HERD LOOKING IN X2....THE MODOC UNIT ??? I DONT HEAR MUCH ABOUT X2 ANYMORE. I HAVE SIX POINTS AND NOT SURE WHAT TO SPEND THEM ON/ HOW WOULD YOU GUYS SPEND 6 POINTS???.....THANKS.....YD.

Yes I did finally get it. Sent you a quick response. Let me know what your interested in.

I have never hunted it but I have heard alot of good things about X7A and X7b might be able to hunt it with 4 points.

You should have enough for x-12. Check out Kenssport.com for some photos of what kind of bucks you can expect from that area. Shoot me an email if you'd like some more info on x-12, It's been a few years since I hunted there, but I think it if you put in the time and work and with a little luck you can do alright. I would put in for x-12 if I wasn't trying for muzzy hunt.

What about X3b? With 4 points you will draw for sure. I killed a 173" buck up there about 5 years ago. They still take some great bucks out of that country.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom