X6-B

Forester

Got drawn this year and I will be heading up to do some camping/scouting in the next couple of weeks to try and get familiar with the area. Looking that the maps is a bit discouraging because of the amount of roads covering the zone and from what I have read it sounds like it gets crowded up there. I would like to hike and get away from others as much as possible but it seems like that could be a challenge. I figured I would ask you guys for some general advise as to what parts of the zone might be worth checking out and what areas would be a waste of time. Is the east side of 395 worth looking at or not? What about the area west of Conklin Park? I will be holding out for a good sized buck even if it means coming home empty handed. I plan on making a few scouting trips over the next couple of months and hunting most of the season. Any advise is appreciated and PMs are welcome. Thanks.

I've spent most of my life learning X6A and X4 so I'm not much help.

Killed a X6b buck in the early 80s. We hiked to the top of reconissance pk the night before, 3 of us got up the next day to an army of hunters. I dropped down into the timber and killed a "big" forked horn. My buddy spent another night up there and killed my buck's twin. He said he had it all to himself on that Sunday.

All that said, there are bigger bucks coming outta 6b than 6 a these days and I'm gonna draw it next year instead of waiting an extra year to hunt 6a.

I would look at some of the 6b country overlooking the Honey Lake Valley, or at least on the very northeast side of the NF.

As far as the east side of 395. You'll have a better chance of finding a great buck there. With this past moisture laden winter, some may have remained on wintering grounds since the feed was so good.

Haven't been home in over a week but heard there is a big fire behind Doyle?

12742img4759.jpg

It will shrink the hunting area for the m3 hunt that's for sure

Thanks for the info elkslayer, I will definitely give those areas a closer look. I'm hoping the crowds will kind of die down by the second weekend.

That is one hell of an ominous picture right there. I guess I will be keeping an eye on the fire reports. I didn't even know that was going on.

Made my first trip up this weekend just to familiarize myself with the area. I found a few deer and one very nice buck. There is a lot of time between now and the opener so I won't be counting on that one. Do a lot of people just hunt opening weekend or does it stay pretty busy the whole time?

I drive 395 twice every week but this Sunday I drove it during daylight. The East side burn appears to be spotty, unlike the 5B burn 5 years ago.

I think that country will still hold deer, especially if we get some monsoon rains. Wife said it rained lightly in Janesville today but they got hail across 395 from us.

A couple of days of thunderstorms could turn that country green.

Forester,

My wife told me she had heavy rains yesterday (Tuesday) just NW of Reno. I saw another post, on another thread saying the same thing.

Personally I'd hunt the areas I mentioned earlier but if you are set on the desert side, I wouldn't give up on that.

Nice. That definitely sounds promising. As of right now I'm not set on any particular area, just would like to try and stay away from the crowds as much as possible and be able to find a nice buck. The next time I go up I plan on checking out the north and east sides of the zone. Does anybody have any suggestions as to starting points east of 395? Success stories? PMs are welcome. Thanks

There are several roads that lead into the Fort Sage mountains on their west side, but only one that will take you to the top. What many may not yet realize is that a huge boulder dropped onto the road at a narrow point along the ridge that will stop all large vehicle traffic. I suppose it is possible that a dozer pushed it out of the way in order to access the fire that burned across the top of the mountain, but I have not been up to check. (Does anyone else have word on this?) At the very least, don't ruin your opener by starting up that hill only to get trapped in the "cluster".

The last time I hunted Horton, it was an opening day, and it snowed a good foot the day before. I don't remember what year it was. I slept in the back of my truck, and it was so cold that my batteries in my alarm clock slowed to the point that my clock lost an hour, and I overslept. The access road I had selected on the east side petered out into nothing but a path, but damned if I wasn't passed by three ORVs on the hike up. They apparently looked around and then passed me again on their way out before I could arrive to the top. And so I had the place to myself. In an entire day of hitting the high points and glassing, I never saw a deer. In fact, I never cut a track (except coyote), and I beat myself nearly to death that day. But, it is big country and large enough to accommodate a few hunters without standing on one another if they leave the ATVs at home. I guess it must hold plenty of deer before they migrate out. Perhaps I'll give it another look one day.

Thanks for the heads up on the boulder situation, that sounds like a potential headache.

I will add Horton ridge to my list of areas to checkout. I can't wait to get back up that way to do some more scouting, hopefully in the next few weeks.

Hey Dan I sent you a PM.

Horton ridge to reconasence peak dosent see much foot traffic like it use to in the old days road hunters but not much for people hiking back in.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom