X6B Draw

DukHntr805

My wife drew X6B for the first time. She had 1 pp and I had 5... She nailed it and I did not. I have never hunted this unit but have had friends draw with successful hunts. I have an idea of the area I plan on taking her, but I wouldn't mind picking a few of y'all's brains either. Thanks

My wife drew X6B for the first time. She had 1 pp and I had 5... She nailed it and I did not. I have never hunted this unit but have had friends draw with successful hunts. I have an idea of the area I plan on taking her, but I wouldn't mind picking a few of y'all's brains either. Thanks
Never hunted the unit and neither have 99.999% of the folks in the mule deer section of this forum. Most won't even know its a CA mule deer unit.

Move your thread down to the California forum and you may get some help.

A lot has changed over the past few years with the fires. With new growth at ground level, the locations preferred by deer are changing. I suspect that success rates will begin to rise this year, but most will be smaller animals. You will have to get away from the roads and the quads if you are to have a good chance at the smoker you refer to--and that will probably mean steep, rough country. From a good vantage point, with good glass, you may find the buck you are after. I know this all sounds pretty obvious, but there are not many places that fit this description. Perhaps you will discover others, but my advice is to hunt down the escarpment overlooking 395. You will work to get your deer out, but it is about the only place most people will not go.

I am editing my post to say that, while I have killed bucks to 29 inches (outside), I have also eaten tag soup. With my latest tag four years ago. I could not locate a buck I would be happy with. The point is, even if you are familiar with the unit, it will be difficult to find a 4x4 spanning 24 inches or better. Most successful hunters in the unit leave with a buck they could have killed in any other unit in the state. Calibrate your expectations according to your scouting experience; then, just enjoy your hunt! Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom