yamaha grizzly 550

JimmyA

U am seriously considering this particular model. Anybody have any pros or cons they care to share? Thanks in advance.

I had a Grizzly 660 and absolutely hated it. I always felt like it was top heavy and going to roll over. Never ever been scared going up hills or side hilling until I got on it. The speed and suspension was great but I sold it ASAP when I was uncomfortable in the mountains.

I rode my Father in Laws new Honda rancher 400 with electric steering last weekend. When I buy a new one it will have that feature regardless of what brand I choose. Pretty awesome.

Bean

Thanks for the info.

Little joe, what year was the 660 you had? I drove my buddys 660 and felt exactly the same way. His is about 10 years old and definitely top heavy, but I thought it was because of all the aftermarket junk he has on it.

I used to have a 450 and never felt that way about it at all. I didn't have any worries at all about rolling it.

Thanks again to all for the input.

My 660 was a 2003. I had zero aftermarket items other than a winch and it was so top heavy that I could not deal with it. I am overweight but I know that was not the issue. Others made the same comments as well.

The posts on this thread make an excellent point. If I were buying an ATV the number one thing would be the center point of gravity, the lower the better, everything else is of secondary importance. Especially after rolling one myself!

One of the biggest claims that yamaha made when they came out with there new 700 was that it had a much lower center of gravity. I have the 700 and have never felt it was top heavy.

The new 550 is basically the same machine with a smaller engine. If you look at the specks, the 550 and 700 have almost identical measurements. Personally, I don't see much use for the 550 if it is the same size as the 700. Might as well go with more power. Otherwise, I would look at a smaller machine.

Littlejoe out of curiousity did you purchase another ATV in place of the Yamaha? also have you ridden any of the new ones they mentioned above with the claimed lower center of gravity? thanks

my dad has a 660. i would guess it to be a 2005 or maybe 06. i've ridden it a bit and think it's pretty nice. I haven't ridden it through anything to nasty but it seems like a nice machine to me.

I just had a 660 eat my lunch last weekend. The top heavy sumbeatch has always been squirrly, and the moment I got too comfortable with it, it threw me like a 230lb tumbleweed. I thought I did a pretty sweet dismount and tuck-n-roll, but when I got to all fours, that heavy "enter cuss word" proceeded to drive over my head and ribs. Could have been alot worse, but the concussion and road rash makes me want to buy a Honda.

I rolled a Honda Foreman 450. They are just putting the rider to high above the ground on almost all the models. If I'd been on my Honda Foreman 400, I know it would not of happened.

if you ride a four wheeler you had better be ready for a roll over at sometime it doesn't matter what brand.It's going to happen!

the one thing I have noticed with many new models larger than 500 is that they do not have a pull start. I would hate to be 15 miles back in the country and come back to an $8000 machine that has a dead battery.

buy a honda 500 rubicon and never look back. low center of gravity and plenty o power. i have owned and ridden several atvs and the hondas are just tuff to beat.

Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom