Yote Calling Question???

hunterjmj

Have a question for you experts maybe you could help?
I started calling coyotes this year and have had little success.
Here is a background on my hunting gear and area.
Lohman circle call
Faded sage camo head to feet
I hunt sage canyons, buttes, and flats with an occansional juniper around.
Plenty of sign.

I was out this last tuesday and called about 6 different stands and had yotes come in at two of the stands. On one of these stands 2 coyotes came in together and held up at about 150 yds. sat down and looked at me. I was very tickled. The other stand I called one in he was on a rim about 300 yds out sitting, but would not come in any further. The other stands I had nothing come in that I knew of. Also, I went this morning and had no success at all and I called in a different area at about 6 different spots.
Do you have any suggestions as to what I may be doing wrong.
I will be happy to give any other info to help diagnose my lack of harvest. The first day it was clear skies and no wind and today it was clowdy, windy, and snowing.

Jer

HEY Jer:

I DON'T CLAIM TO BE AN EXPERT,BUT I HAVE TAKEN A FEW HUNDRED OF THESE TRASH KILLERS IN MY DAY.

SOUNDS LIKE THE MUSIC MIGHT BE A LITTLE LOUD.

REMEMBER WHAT UNCLE TED AND FEW OTHERS HAVE TAUGHT US,THERES TIMES TO PLAY IT LOUD AND OTHER TIMES NOT TOO.

REMEMBER THEM DOG'S CAN HEAR A HELLUVA LOT BETTER THAN WE CAN,THEY ALSO KNOW THE DISTANCE AND WHEN THE MUSIC IS A LITTLE LOUDER THAN IT SHOULD BE,THEY KNOW SOMETHINGS GOING DOWN.

JUST A THOUGHT,THERE COULD BE OTHER FACTORS AS WELL.

IF YOU GET THE CHANCE TO TAKE EM AT 300 YARDS,SQUEEZE THE TRIGGER,NOTHING I HATE WORSE THAN EDUCATING AN ANIMAL THAT EATS THEM MULEYS.

bobcat

Thanks Bobcat
I usually sound my first series off fairly low I think then I give it all hell, I thought thats what I was supposed to do. I'll use that advice next time out for sure.

Jer

Since you're on the "hang it all out" forum I'll give you my thoughts. Imagine trolling down the beach, picking up 3 women and only getting some action out of one, would that be a successful beach troll? My thoughts are that you have already been kicking some coyote tail. If you don't have confidence shooting 150 yards go out and shoot some more. Any good gun is capable of hitting a coyote at that range.

One thought, it sounds like you are getting some coyotes in and are just having trouble pulling them in the last little bit. One sound that worked for me this morning was a lip pucker squeek. Just pucker up and suck making a kissing sound. On the Randy Anderson videos he demonstrates this and other call techniques that are really good.

I've put together a few pages of photos and tips on my website that might help. The address is www.swhounds.com and go to the coyote link. I knocked these two off this morning. One came in full blast and the other I squeaked in for the kill. Hope this helps.

Ed, www.swhounds.com
tom_double_2_03.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-03 AT 07:57PM (MST)[p]Ed and bowhuntinmaniac,
Thanks for your advice! Your website is great, Ed.
I'm at the point were you're just not quite there but almost, it is kind of frustrating, but experience will overcome these little glitchs hopefully.
Oh I busted the yoter at 150 yds but not the one at 300, I didn't shoot at it. I don't really hold that steady at that distance, especially at that size target. Thanks again.

Jer

First if you had them come two out of six sets you are doing ok next time they hold up try a rodent or lip sqeaks this time of year a howler will help or k-9 pups in distress should start working well in the next week or two depending on the domenate pairs tarratory if you can get close to where they will be setting up there den they should start defending it sometime this month.In the middle of april go to coyote pups sounds or howlers mix them with pray sounds I like to start by locating them with a howler then cut the distance to them in half then go to a pray sound if you don't get a imediate answer mix in a couple barks and whines this will normaly get them coming.
Any time you use a howler coyotes come fast then slow to see how big the dog is they are going to run off so they might come slow the last 400 yds and might sit down to see where he is this might have been whey the ones you had hang up stopped where they did or they could have been out of there tarratory or could have been called in before and wern't going to fall for the same rutine. keep trying and you will have to join coyote callers anonaumis like me its vary addicting.

Put a little extra fur or white cloth out in front about 20 or 30 yds and put a string on it, to move it around alittle sometimes alittle movement will cinch the deal and they will come in.Using a decoy in heavy hunted areas could be the ticket to bring in hard hunted dogs, using a different calls from very one else, try bird, mouse, puppies, coyote sounds, I have a tape that works pretty good around deer wintering ground. It's Coyotes killing a deer, in a hard winter it draw they in pretty good.Hand Call I use a Tallyho made in Winter So. Dakota I think. Sound to me you doing O.K you got to see dogs on 2 out of 6 setups that pretty decent.

sounds to me like maybe they're seeing you. you have light colored camo? one other thing, coyotes are the wariest animal there ever was. something either looks, sounds, smells or feels out of place. someplaces they are real call educated too. if a coyote gives me a 150 yd shot, i'm takin' it. i'll even try the 300 one, but only if he's standing still or runnin'.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom