youth encouragment hunts???

Piece of cake. The boys are 6 for 8 on opening morning for cow elk and 8 for 8 total, One bull tag took until day 2 to get on a good bull and this year my older son shot his first archery bull on his 4th day of hunting.

The weather was really crappy. Started raining/snowing on Thursday night. Wind really blew and it was COLD!

Other than the cold arctic wind we had a great time and met some nice people that had two kids hunting. They hadn't filled any tags by the time we left, but I'm sure they got it done.

A good friend of mine was there also with his son. They filled his tag the 2nd morning after having to go back to TorC to buy two new tires for their truck on Friday.

It was a good year in unit 52 for my cousin who harvested his giant cow-elk on Monday after missing the opener completely. We saw so many elk it looked like the whole mount was moving, but thanks to his dads cow calling and good placing we had a cow stop at 246 yards and he put the hammer down on it with one shot. Wish I could drew a tag for that area myself. But I do have a hunt this weekend for Elk ES in Unit 51 so hopefuly I'll have a Story to post next week.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-11 AT 09:23PM (MST)[p]Tag soup this year...

We saw more bulls than cows, and those cows we saw were butts running in the opposite direction.

I had scouted both weeks prior ( 6A ), and then on the way in on Friday, it was down pouring and then snowing.

PB251644.jpg

PB251634.jpg

PB251632.jpg

All the roads I had planned to hunt, were slick with mud. Even in my wrangler with 33" tires I couldn't keep it straight, and if I came to a stop on even the slightest crown of the road, it would just start sliding again. ( note to self, ask for chains for Xmas, 'cause I have got a Jan Mule Deer Hunt that I may need them for )

PB251636.jpg

I brought along a friend who had never seen elk up close, other than Yellowstone etc, and the young man I have been mentoring in hunting/woodsmanship etc. Getting close to the bulls made their trip.

PB261649.jpg

We made the best of it, and had a couple opportunities, but never even pulled the trigger.

I wouldn't trade the last 96 hours with my daughter for anything at all; full freezer or not!

PB291659.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Teach your kids to hunt now, and you won't have to hunt for them later.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom