Youth Expo App Question

NvrEnuf

Very Active Member
I've looked around and can't seem to find the answer... Does anyone know what the minimum age to apply for tags at the Western Hunting and Conservation Expo is? I know here in UT kids can hunt big game at age 12 but they can not apply for limited entry tags until age 14. Can a 12 year old apply for big game expo tags?

Thanks,

NvrEnuf

Same rules for age as regular. I think that he can apply for the turkey tags but not the limited entry tags.

Good question.
My son is 13. Born on Thanksgiving of 1999. Last year was his first year hunting and I remember trying to see if he could apply for LE. But the Dwr website blocked it saying he wasn't old enough. Today he applied and tried again to apply for LE and the website let him. He applied for LE deer, OAL mountain goat, Youth any Bull, General season deer.

So figure that one out! Looks like Monday I will be calling the DWR to find out.

I will be applying us both tonight for the expo tags. Guess we will see how my sons app turns out!

Theodore Roosevelt's guidance concerning conservation...
"The movement for the conservation of wildlife, and the conservation of all our natural resources, are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall be exploited by the few against the interests of the majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural resources for the public as a whole, for the average man and the average woman who make up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of means."

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-13 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]Your right Birdman. I had to take a look again in the guidebook. It says:
If you're 13 years old?and you'll be 14 by
Dec. 31, 2013?you can also apply for limited-entry, once-in-a-lifetime or CWMU permits in the public drawing.
I've always been told that you have to be 14 years old. But if your 14th birthday isn't until after the hunt but it is before Dec 31st 2013, then I'm assuming that you can hunt them at 13 years old if the DWR is allowing you to apply for them. Like I said, my son's birthday is late November so he will be 14 before the end of the year but with the LE hunt dates being in September, October, he will still be 13 years old.

I know one thing. I must be getting old if my boy can start putting in for these tags.

"The movement for the conservation of wildlife, and the conservation of all our natural resources, are essentially democratic in spirit,purpose and method."

"We do not intend that our natural resources shall be exploited by the few against the interests of the majority. Our aim is to preserve our natural resources for the public as a whole, for the average man and the average woman who make up the body of the American people."

"It is in our power...to preserve game..and to give reasonable opportunities for the exercise of the skill of the hunter,whether he is or is not a man of means."

To answer your question, the expos minimum age is the same as the DWR's age limit for the LE and OAL hunts.
I got my son (DOB 11/1999) and myself in for the expo tags as well.
Hope this helps.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-03-13 AT 08:23AM (MST)[p]Straight form the 2013 Guidebook.

Are you old enough?
Utah Code ? 23-19-22
To hunt big game in Utah, you must be at
least 12 years old.
If you're 11 years old?but you'll be 12 by
Dec. 31, 2013?you can apply for or obtain a big
game permit. Remember, you cannot hunt until
you are 12 years old.

^^^ These two sentences seem to contradict each other. You can apply if you turn 12 by Dec 31st 2013, but you can't hunt until your 12. I guess the kid can hunt if it's a late season cow tag?

If you're 11 to 13 years old, you are eligible to:
? Apply for general-season deer or youth any
bull elk permits in the drawing.
? Buy general-season deer, general-season
elk and youth any bull elk permits over
the counter, if any are available.
? Buy a Cooperative Wildlife Management
Unit (CWMU) permit directly from a
CWMU operator.
If you're 13 years old?and you'll be 14 by
Dec. 31, 2013?you can also apply for limited-
entry, once-in-a-lifetime or CWMU permits in the
public drawing.
All hunters under the age of 16 must be accompanied
in the field by a parent, legal guardian
or responsible person 21 years of age or older. For
more information on this requirement, see the
information box below.

Good luck guys

Mutley

BillyBoB, You think that you are getting old if your kids can put in for LE and OIL hunts, My grandkids can put in for them.

Birdman,
It's just a little shock to the system alittle. Mainly because I didn't start collecting bonus points until my late twenties. I didn't grow up hunting. So It's weird to see my son beginning to collect bonus points when I've only got 5 bonus points and I'm 21 years older than my son. ( I got a REALLY late start to this and he's starting at an EARLY age.)
I hope one day he understands how lucky he is to grow up hunting... unlike myself when I was a kid.

BillyBoB, I am glad that you are getting your son going early. I have done the same with my grandkids. I grew up hunting but gave up putting in before the point system even started. I started but way late. I drew my first LE elk tag last fall. I have 12 moose points and after researching figure I am guaranteed to draw in the next 54 years if all stays the same.

Thanks for the help answering my question. Looks like the little guy will have to wait until next year to apply...

Good luck in the draws to you and your kids!

NvrEnuf

Thanks for posting the question. I was about to post the same question when I scrolled down and saw your post. The expo site says the drawing is open to "any and all sportsmen". I have an 11-year-old that will be 12 by the time the hunts roll around. We're completing his hunters ed on Saturday so we can put in for hunts. I was hoping he could have an expo chance for a henry's tag along with som LE elk/ OAL tags. Looks like we'll have to wait a couple of years.

For Billy Bob, odds are that your boy will receive the same unsuccessful letter we all get. He may have a way to beat the system and collect a bonus point for a hunt that he would not have been age eligible to hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom