Youth Hunting!

Cornhusker

Long Time Member
"It's a small price to pay for a lifetime of unforgettable moments."

That is the quote from the youth hunt banner that flashes across MM above which allows youth to purchase $5.00 deer and turkey permits. I'm obviously for increasing recruitment of young hunters as the current hunters continue to age that is an accepted fact. In spite of the 5 dollar tags we won't come close to selling out permits and will still give bonus licenses to try an keep the deer population at manageable levels. The recruitment of young hunters isn't working in spite of earlier seasons, $5.00 permits and various other programs, including archery and hunter safety programs within schools. This is in Nebraska what about your state. I live in a very rural area where less and less kids hunt every year.

So my question is how is youth recruitment going in your state and what do you feel the answer is to continue the hunting tradition, I assume everyone on this site cares about? In spite of the attempts by Nebraska Game and Parks which I support not much success in adding younger hunters. The family tradition in Utah appeals to me and I find refreshing. It is somewhat an access issue in Ne. is only 3% is public land but I also think it's societal. Tell me I'm wrong or that we have fields full of younger hunters to carry on the tradition when we're worm food.

It's amazing how many dumb threads there are on MM, and one of the important ones doesn't yet have a response- so here's mine: Recruitment of youth into hunting is tenuous at best, IMO, and I believe that less and less youth are actively out in the field. Unfortunately, I have no data currently to support my hypothesis. This is only a high level observation. However, it does seem that there are more activities that kids engage in that may prohibit them from hunting- such as competitive soccer, football, and baseball (all of which my kids participate in and all of which at one time or another prevented my kids or myself from being the field, our choice though). Not to mention all the distractions (xbox, girls, friends, etc). Also, hunting is becoming more and more expensive, and less and less accessible. I live in Utah, I have been unsuccessful for the general deer for 3 yrs (have 3 pts now)- Not arguing about deer mgt, I like the new deer regs and mgt plan, but I haven't been able to take my boys general rifle deer in Utah for 3 yrs. Luckily we have drawn out for other hunts in other states- that's not an option for everyone. I think that we need to do all we can to get our kids out, inviting friends and family w/ their kids along. Hunting is a legacy which is not guaranteed. Politics, academics and the media sure won't be there to guarantee its existence in 50-100yrs from now. It's really up to today's sportsman to make this (youth hunting) an objective.

I agree with all of your points Carnicero and am involved in hunter safety courses as well as several youth mentoring kids afield programs which we sometimes have problems even filling up with youth. I can't believe in all the extra-curricular activities kids are involved in. I've been a high school coach for 34 years now only down to track because team sports have become almost a full year deal.

I think we need to find a way to emphasize the positive effect hunting and the outdoors can have on a kids life as we do in extra-curricular school activities. Somehow we have lost the idea it's about the experience not just the kill. Even many of younger hunters kids I know don't hunt with their parents in my area which is why I respect Utah and some of the western states. I'm not totally sure what we need to change but it's not working on recruiting young hunters in Ne.

The unit I hunt sells 1,300 permits 411 people have purchased permits this year a huge drop off. Less than 20% of the kids I teach now hunt. Expense is a huge factor that's why the $5.00 youth permit was started in Ne. but looking at numbers that didn't help. Wild game is also seen as less than good table fare although it's all I eat.

Game Commissions need to look at changing attitudes or hunting is dead in the future. My kids live in Colorado in their 30's and hunt but none of their friends in that age group hunt. This became quite a rant for me I'm concerned game commission need to market hunting better we pay the game management bills and less of us hunt every day. Your last 2 sentence are very accurate I'm going to remember those for sure.

"Hunting is a legacy which is not guaranteed. Politics, academics and the media sure won't be there to guarantee its existence in 50-100yrs from now. It's really up to today's sportsman to make this (youth hunting) an objective. " Carnicero.

>"It's a small price to pay
>for a lifetime of unforgettable
>moments."
>
>That is the quote from the
>youth hunt banner that flashes
>across MM above which allows
>youth to purchase $5.00 deer
>and turkey permits. I'm
>obviously for increasing recruitment of
>young hunters as the current
>hunters continue to age that
>is an accepted fact.
>In spite of the 5
>dollar tags we won't come
>close to selling out permits
>and will still give bonus
>licenses to try an keep
>the deer population at manageable
>levels. The recruitment of young
>hunters isn't working in spite
>of earlier seasons, $5.00 permits
>and various other programs, including
>archery and hunter safety programs
>within schools. This is
>in Nebraska what about your
>state. I live
>in a very rural area
>where less and less kids
>hunt every year.
>
>So my question is how is
>youth recruitment going in your
>state and what do you
>feel the answer is to
>continue the hunting tradition, I
>assume everyone on this site
>cares about? In spite
>of the attempts by Nebraska
>Game and Parks which I
>support not much success in
>adding younger hunters. The family
>tradition in Utah appeals to
>me and I find refreshing.
>It is somewhat an access
>issue in Ne. is only
>3% is public land but
>I also think it's societal.
> Tell me I'm wrong
>or that we have fields
>full of younger hunters to
>carry on the tradition when
>we're worm food.

Wow! I hardly know where to begin, but let me start off by saying the Utah is currently heading your way in spite of the fact that we have much more public land and unless efforts to stop/reverse the trend succeed, we'll be there in about 10 to 15 years, if not sooner.

Second, it's rather ironic that you would ask such a family oriented question on a forum called "Monster Muleys" with it's home page covered with ads and links for guides, ("Find A Guide", "Looking For A Hunting Guide or Outfitter?") expensive hunts, and taxidermists, along with promotions such as "Big Buck, Big Bull, and Big Game Contest Time!" and "Please Be Sure To Share Your Hunting Photos!" where all of the photos are of a single hunter behind a huge animal. It's no wonder you didn't get a response very quickly.

Third, Utah has also recognized the apparent loss of new young hunters and in the last few years we have:

1)-given 20% of the general deer permits to the youth before the general public gets to draw.
2)-lowered the big game hunting age to 12 while putting no lower age limit for upland game hunting.
3)-designated several separate youth only hunts for various species.
4)-allowed multiple season hunting opportunities to youth with any weapon/rifle permits.
5)-given an ADDITIONAL 20% of the archery deer permit quotas to youth.
6)-passed, this year, one regulation allowing a parent or grandparent the opportunity to "share", in a mentoring program, ANY big game tag with a child or grandchild.
7)-passed, this year, another regulation allowing a new hunter (usually youth) the opportunity to hunt without taking the Hunter Safety Course in a "trial" period to see if they like it.

Are these recruiting programs working? Probably while the participants are still youth. But are they working into adulthood when the bennies all go away? I don't know the answer to that one. Only time will tell.

Fourth, It's also ironic that the first responder admits to liking the new deer regs and mgt plan even though he hasn't been able to take his boys on the Utah general rifle deer hunt for 3 years. Let's hope he and his boys get used to the wait!

Finally, those that are promising an increase in the deer herds (to 400,000+) along with increased opportunity for all hunters are, at the same time, promoting, via the Mule Deer Planning Committee, the RAC's, and the Wildlife Board meetings, more Limited Entry Units with higher buck to doe ratios and reduced permit quotas and additional Conservation Permits. Methinks they speak with forked tongues!

Well said elkfromabove. I agree and like everything you just said.

Its up to the parents to get them involved. This last year, I have given up alot of hunting opportunity for me to help and let my kids go. Not the big hikes, but small ones they can do. If my kids dont like to hunt when they get older, its MY FAULT.

Thanks for the educated response elkfromabove a lot of things in your post that I didn't realize that got me thinking. Robiland I agree parents should be the first line to get kids involved in hunting and I applaud your effort for getting your kids involved, mine are in their 30's and both hunt. We also have a large group of kids with non-hunting parents or parents not involved in their lives so I'm very much in favor of mentoring programs. We are getting out numbered by anti-hunters to survive in the future we need game departments to continue inventive ways to recruit young hunters.

This topic is very near and dear to my heart! I have spent the past 12 years fairly involved in 'youth hunting' here in AZ, both as a volunteer and organizer at Jr. Hunt camps and as a father of three children. There is no greater joy in life then spending time with your children IMO, and hunting/camping/fishing/hiking in the outdoors is one of the most glorious places to do it!!! ;-)

Here in AZ, there is a fair amount of Jr. Hunt opportunities. I applaud the AZ G&F for trying to do lots for the kids. There are special seasons set aside, including an awesome doe hunt on the Kiabab (the ONLY doe hunt opporutnity in the state). All three of my kids killed their first deer on that Kiabab doe hunt, and the memories are priceless! I get my kids out as much as I can, but even with my passion and all of the opportunities, they sometimes would rather do other things. We live in Central Phx, so it's not like the small town where I grew-up. I hope the hunting tradition in the country lives on, but I fear there is an evolution happening that is slowly moving the needle away from it.

To the comments regarding the interest in youth hunting on this particular site, you don't have to look much farther than the 'Youth Hunting' section here. Brian put up the Youth Hunter section exactly two years ago this month. In two years there has ONLY BEEN 71 threads/topics posted there (and I think slmost 10% of the topics are mine! lol)!!! Now I know that many folks post their kid's pics in the other forums, but still it appears to be an indication of the 'interest' in youth hunting on this site. ;) Take a look, if you haven't already: http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.pl?az=list&forum=DCForumID57&conf=conference BTW, just to brag a little be sure to check the second post down. My 17 year old son and I had an amazing time together last weekend on a Jr. Cow Elk hunt here in AZ! ;-)

Long live hunting and the family hunting tradition!!!!!!!

S.

:)

"Fourth, It's also ironic that the first responder admits to liking the new deer regs and mgt plan even though he hasn't been able to take his boys on the Utah general rifle deer hunt for 3 years. Let's hope he and his boys get used to the wait!"

Based on the # of hunters in Utah and the # of deer there has to be some sort of management of deer for there to be a deer herd in existence. Otherwise, I will just be taking my boys on a glorified camping trip- actually seeing deer, bucks, is kind of an important point in hunting, and game management is an important point in being a sportsman. Nonetheless, the management plan could address better guarantees for youth to draw a deer tag. I don't mind waiting 3+yrs to hunt deer in a healthy deer herd, however in order to keep my boys interested they will need to hunt more frequently than that.

Stanley congrats. I think the smile on your sons face says it all. I also commend AZ. for what they are doing with the junior elk hunt I really believe it's a good idea, yes I know it will take away opportunity from an older hunter sometimes a little sacrifice is necessary.

I have made it a mission to introduce a different kid to hunting and shooting every year since my kids went to college an it's been well worth it. Many still hunt as adults some choose not to. I live in a isolated area that allows me this opportunity unlike Central Phoenix which obviously limits opportunity.

I feel archery is making the most progress at getting young hunters and shooters their archery in the schools program is good and free if you follow their guidelines. I find it interesting to see what Ut. and Ar. are doing and hopefully other states are doing something as well. I think the Ne. banner that offers the $5.00 permits is an attempt but I can't find numbers anywhere to tell me that it's a success. Cheaper tags are good but only if youth have the parent or mentor and knowledge to take advantage of the cheap tag.

>"Fourth, It's also ironic that the
>first responder admits to liking
>the new deer regs and
>mgt plan even though he
>hasn't been able to take
>his boys on the Utah
>general rifle deer hunt for
>3 years. Let's hope he
>and his boys get used
>to the wait!"
>
>Based on the # of hunters
>in Utah and the #
>of deer there has to
>be some sort of management
>of deer for there to
>be a deer herd in
>existence. Otherwise, I will just
>be taking my boys on
>a glorified camping trip- actually
>seeing deer, bucks, is kind
>of an important point in
>hunting, and game management is
>an important point in being
>a sportsman. Nonetheless, the management
>plan could address better guarantees
>for youth to draw a
>deer tag. I don't mind
>waiting 3+yrs to hunt deer
>in a healthy deer herd,
>however in order to keep
>my boys interested they will
>need to hunt more frequently
>than that.

You're absolutely correct that the deer (and all the other species) need management for the reasons you've given in order to have huntable herds/flocks. The basic issue with big game comes down to whether we want to manage more for the trophy hunter or the non-trophy hunter and the current management trend favors the trophy hunter.

That's a good point Elkfromabove and the modern hunting philosophy and management of big antlers is definitely a factor in management and the way see hunting. Ne. on the other hand does not manage for trophy animals which is one of my complaints and yet numbers of youth hunters continue to drop. The number of people who hunt for the experience or the meat is dropping quickly.

License holders in Ne. get a questionaire on possible changes. The game commission has been asking for suggestions on this topic for the last several years. I was just looking for ideas on what other states are doing because early youth seasons, cheaper permits, and youth mentoring programs don't seem to be helping us much. I still believe it's related a lot to time constraints, a more urban lifestyle societal and access issues.

I think you could give away youth tags, for free, and there will still be a continuing trend of fewer youth afield.

There are distractions, programs, sports, arts etc that will continue to garner the more interest from the youth.

Most, not all, of these distractions are relatively easy when compared to hunting and the entitled youth of today don't really want anything too hard. (just my observations and opinions)

When this is coupled with complex regulations, diminished tags, parents who are not involed in hunting, we start to see the results of the trend.

I fear it's a trend which cannot be reversed but it can be slowed with a few programs here and there. But, it all comes back to the adults who are not involved in hunting. Many adults either don't care that the youth are involved in hunting or don't want them involved. There in lies the problem.

I'm not just giving up but we all know it's a real battle for the minds of the kids... and we're losing.

I'm one of the lucky ones. I have a son and 4 daughters (all married with families) and they all are contributing citizens and carry the tourch for hunting!

God help us all in our quest to turn the tide!
Zeke

My son is very fired up about hunting, he is 9. I would love to take advantage of the $5 Nebraska youth deer tag, the catch is he needs to be accompanied by a licensed hunter, non res adult tags are not $5! Kansas does a good job of offering discounted tags and we take full advantage of that program.

Rut

I tried to get my son into hunting. He got a deer (albeit a small spike but the hunt was unforgettable!) his first year at 12 years old.

Fast forward a year later and he initially said he did not want to hunt as he did not feel good about killing the deer so I did not put him in for a tag. My family received our tags and I drew a cow Elk. He seemed to get excited and asked if he drew and I told him he didnt want to put in. Now he did? So I put him in the 2nd drawing and he drew a tag.

We went out opening weekend. Found a couple nice bucks but could not get to them as they were jumping across to bed on the Utah side of the border from NV (PM if you want the info :) 30" and 26" along with a small 3pt and spike).

He got very hesitant about it and wanted to go home. We did some fishing, saw some animals, and spent good time together. He just didnt seem into it. So I talked with him and the only reason he wanted to go is to just hang out and get away with me. The time spent was awesome no doubt.

Its unfortunate he does not want to hunt, but he does enjoy going he just does not enjoy the kill. He will be going Elk hunting with me. For some reason, he does not mind killing birds and rabbits so he will still hunt those animals so not all is lost. The greatest thing is, he has killed a deer and I have have. My dad did not do ##### with me for hunting when I was young unfortunately so Im glad that I could do it for him, even if he chooses to not hunt big game.

I guess my long story is you cannot make kids do things they dont want to do. Not all kids are the same and while I have a special case where the option is there and he enjoys the outdoors, I understand that more and more kids are not even given the opportunity.

Good for you doz for the effort it sounds like you have a good relationship with your son since he wants to spend time with you, it just may not include big game hunting. Rut money is a factor I understand I'm not familiar with the Kansas tag options although it sounds like it's cheaper.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom